Heredity Experiment Ideas?

MES

Arachnosquire
Hello!
Not quite sure where to put this thread, so here it is.
So recently I've been learning more about heredity/genetics, dominant/recessive traits, etc. and I'm interested in doing my own sort of "experiment" with the traits of animals. However, I'm not sure which animal I should use. I'm looking for something that has high genetic variability/variable traits (such as a ball python, rats, etc) but that is easy to keep. I'm looking for something like an insect or similar that wouldn't be expensive or space taking. If you guys know if anything that fits that description, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a ton!

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I hear pea plants are popular for this sort of thing :). Sounds like you’re wanting something in the animal realm, but it depends on what experiment you’re actually trying to run. Maybe Phidippus or a wolf spider of some kind?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Fruit flies, I believe they have chromosomes in their saliva which makes genetic and heredity-related experiments much simpler. They also grow quickly and reproduce in quantity and are easy to rear. You could also try g. Portentosa but because of how contaminated their bloodline has become with other species and whatnot it would be pretty difficult to tell.

MES

Arachnosquire
Thanks so much for all the replies! Fruit flies seem like a good idea, but I'm probably looking for something that has more visible phenotypes. @mantisfan101 said something about hissing roaches, and @MetalMan2004 said something about jumping or wolf spiders, so maybe I'll try to go for something like that. Thanks!

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
What about life cycle? Fruit flies are a few days, G. portentosa is seven months.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
My suggestions were merely because they are abundant and potentially free if you catch them yourself. It all depends on what kind of experiment you are running. If you need a quick turnaround fruit flies may be the best option. If you are in no hurry then pick something that you’ll enjoy observing.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
You'll need to make sure you know what kind of trait it is that you're looking at when you breed, ie if it's dominant/recessive or non-Mendelian or what, UNLESS you just want to see variation.

@boina does molecular biology

Last edited:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hello!
Not quite sure where to put this thread, so here it is.
So recently I've been learning more about heredity/genetics, dominant/recessive traits, etc. and I'm interested in doing my own sort of "experiment" with the traits of animals. However, I'm not sure which animal I should use. I'm looking for something that has high genetic variability/variable traits (such as a ball python, rats, etc) but that is easy to keep. I'm looking for something like an insect or similar that wouldn't be expensive or space taking. If you guys know if anything that fits that description, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a ton!
ISOPODS!

People are doing tons of color variation with isopods.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Fruit flies are standard in genetics, although it's probably largely coincidence--once something becomes popular, it crystallizes and becomes standard. Blowflies are pretty and probably possible to breed for size and coloration, and they reproduce quickly (less than 1 month for the whole life cycle). You just have to be ok with the fact that they like a wide variety of rotting foods. Some lepidoptera exhibit life cycles on the order of a month or two, although most of those are relatively small (but still much larger than fruit flies). I believe there are some freshwater snails that grow pretty quickly (e.g., bladder snails take over aquaria), and should be able to be bred for shell size, shape, and color. There are probably terrestrial snails you could use as well, but I think most of them grow a bit more slowly.

MES

Arachnosquire
You'll need to make sure you know what kind of trait it is that you're looking at when you breed, ie if it's dominant/recessive or non-Mendelian or what, UNLESS you just want to see variation.

@boina does molecular biology
I am just kind of looking for variation, not necessarily Mendelian traits. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what traits I'm looking to breed, just a random experiment haha. I think, so far from what you guys have said and some other forums on here, I'll try to start with some hissing roaches. I'm looking for something with a shirt lifespan, but I could use them for feeders as well if I have too many. Thanks so much to everyone!