Henery Doorly Zoo Omaha, Nebaraska

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, I frequent the Henery Doorly Zoo here in Omaha, and every time I go I take tons of pics, well, I've never really had anywhere to post them. So I've gone through and picked out some good ones, and I'll keep updating this as I continue to go to one of my favorite places. :D :} :D

I've got quite a few pics to share already, I'll post what I have in categories. I doubt any future updates will be so organized. :p Enjoy!!!

Also I'm not any kind of super awesome photographer with a stunningly amazing and expensive camera, so the pics are pretty average, but I like them. :rolleyes:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lets try this again...

This is the third time I've started this post. The first time I was almost done I accidently closed my browser, the second time I was about half way through and my computer overheated and shut off. Lets try again!!!

Perhaps one of my favorite exhibits in the zoo is the Butterfly and insect pavillion. The first room is an open free flight butterfly and moth exhibit with many brilliant and stunning specimens. These pictures will be from that room. I do not have IDs on all of the butterflies, the ones I do not have IDs on will be labled "???", if you know what they are please LET ME KNOW!!! I would love to know what they are and expland my knowladge. :D

???

???

???

???

Owl Butterfly

???

???

Orangetip Butterfly

???

Paper Kite Butterfly

Banded Orange Heliconian

???

Atlas Moth (two of them are a dead and preserved male female pair)

I think Heliconius erato (couldn't find a common name)

Isabella’s Longwing

???

African Luna Moth

Zebra Swallowtail

Blue Morpho

Black swallowtail

Monarch Butterfly

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Insects

After you pass through the open butterfly exhibit there is a room with cocoons, locusts, and honey bees, (I don't have many pics from that room) After that there is a room with tons of behind glass insects! They have (or had..) free roaming madagascar golden orb weavers. I haven't seen many lately, I don't know if they just don't have as many or if they're removing them...

Here are some pics of the insects: :)

Blue death feigning beetle. (a personal favorite, cute little guys)

Katydid

Wasp

Dead leaf mantis

Some kind of beetle (not sure)

Orchid mantis

Violin mantis

Some kind of mantis

Honey Bees!

Another mantis

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas

Yes, they have a few tarantulas as well. Unfortunately I do NOT agree with some of their set ups, plus some of my favorites dissapeared. :8o They have tarantulas in the butterfly and insect pavillion, as well as the wild kingdom pavillion. I don't have pics of all of them.

This was labled as a singapore blue..I don't know how true that is...:?

Mexican fireleg (B. boehmei)

This is a molt from their Usambara baboon (OBT) (P. murinus) they let me have that i later accidently stepped on...

But I must say...now that I have my own OBT, it just doesn't compare. (my girl is GORGEOUS, especially compared to that)

And the goliath birdeater (T. blondi)

(the "singapore blue", the mexican fireleg, and the birdeater have all dissapeared, along with A brazilian pink birdeated (L. parahybana), a stripe knee (N. chromatus or A. geniculata), two mexican red-knees (B. smithi), and I think a few Antilles pinktoes (A. versicolor) from their communal setup have all dissapeared. :( it saddens me)

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snakes!

So next are snakes. There are plenty of them, I won't have IDs on all of them, sorry, but I'll try. :eek: There are snakes in several exhibits, Wild Kingdom pavillion, Lied jungle, Desert dome, and kingdom of the night.

Yellow anaconda

Taipan?

???

???

Boomslang

Rattlesnake

Indigo snake

Emerald Tree boa

Milksnake w/ blue poison dart frog

Tiger rat snake

???

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lizards

They have plenty of lizards as well, but I don't have a lot of photos. They have them in the lied jungle, wild pavillion, desert dome, and kingdom of the night. Oh, they also have a pair of iguanas on the lower levels of the butterfly and insect pavillion, you can see them through the window.

Basilisk (I think)

Some kind of monitor?

Gecko (I love this photo {D )

another monitor?

And I know they arn't 'lizards' but since i don't have a lot of lizard photos I'm taking on the crocodilians.

Caimen

White alligator

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, I frequent the Henery Doorly Zoo here in Omaha, and every time I go I take tons of pics, well, I've never really had anywhere to post them. So I've gone through and picked out some good ones, and I'll keep updating this as I continue to go to one of my favorite places. :D :} :D

I've got quite a few pics to share already, I'll post what I have in categories. I doubt any future updates will be so organized. :p Enjoy!!!

Also I'm not any kind of super awesome photographer with a stunningly amazing and expensive camera, so the pics are pretty average, but I like them. :rolleyes:
Awesome! I miss going there myself. I love the wild kindom pavilion and the rainforest and the desert dome. Is the white gator still there? Last time I was there a lady held her purse over the edge and the albo gator snapped at it. I couldn't beleive she'd done that but I think it scared her into her senses. Omahas zoo is the best I've seen by far. Their Aquarium is quite spectacular as well. They had amazingly colored Chinese Pheasants in the avery. Anyways, I'm glad you posted some pics. Thx D MORE! PLEASE!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Good stuff, Ariel! Love all the mantis shots. Do you recall what they were feeding the death feigning beetle?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! I miss going there myself. I love the wild kindom pavilion and the rainforest and the desert dome. Is the white gator still there? Last time I was there a lady held her purse over the edge and the albo gator snapped at it. I couldn't beleive she'd done that but I think it scared her into her senses. Omahas zoo is the best I've seen by far. Their Aquarium is quite spectacular as well. They had amazingly colored Chinese Pheasants in the avery. Anyways, I'm glad you posted some pics. Thx D MORE! PLEASE!
They really are a fantastic zoo. The wild kingdom pavillion is pretty awesome, it use to be one of my favorites until they opened the Butterfly and insect pavillion, which rules all. {D
Yes, the white gator is still there, she's acctually ours now, they brought her back after the kingdom of the night opened up and she's been here ever since. Ya, what can you do though? People are stupid. There's this pair of golden lion tamarins in the lied jungle that are MEAN. Theyre always up on the railing and people (especially kids) always crowd them, I don't how many times I've almost seen someone get bit, and one tried to jump in my moms friends stroller! We, and others, have complained and complained about these monkies, and they won't do anything about it!!!
And any time we warn parents of the kids that are getting close to them, trying to pet them they're so ignorent and just say, "shut up, their my kids, mind your own buisness!"
I know where this is going, and its going to be the zoos fault. One day someones GOING to get bit, and then they're going to have to be eutanized. They're mean, but they're beautiful (kind of like a monkey version of an OBT, same color too {D {D {D ), and they're going to get destroyed because they won't containe them!!! lying to themselves that they're "TAME" and won't hurt anyone!!
I love the zoo, and I don't mean to rant but it just irritates me!!!
Also people who don't read signs..."Oh look at they baby alligators":rolleyes: any time I hear them, right after I'll say, "Oh (whomever I'm with) look at those caimen"

I love the aquarium :drool: :drool: :drool: although it tends to get incredibly crowded.
I think I know what phesants you're talking about, I've got a pic of one I'll be posting later. :D I love that bird, so gorgrous!!!

Don't worry there are MANY more photos to come!!!!!

Good stuff, Ariel! Love all the mantis shots. Do you recall what they were feeding the death feigning beetle?
Thanks, glad you like it. :) ya, I love mantids, they're amazing. And sorry, I don't recall, if they're still their next time I'm at the zoo I'll besure to check though.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Parrots

This is the third time I've started this post, I have really bad luck with my laptop apparently. :rolleyes: Most of their parrots are in the "Garden of the senses" so unfortunately its a seasonal attractions. There are also occassionally parrots in the desert dome.

Sulpher crested cockatoo

Hyacinth Macaw

Blue and Gold Macaw

Sun conure

molaccan cockatoo

Lilac crowned amazon

Scarlet Macaw

Umbrella cockatoo

Hawk head parrot

Military Macaw

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great Pics. The pheasants I saw were always hangin out by the water under the boardwalk.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great Pics. The pheasants I saw were always hangin out by the water under the boardwalk.
Thanks. I always have to go looking for it, it's never in the same spot. {D Also after I googled it, it is the bird I was thinkin off. They have it labled as a golden pheasant.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Other birds

Here are pics of other types of birds around the zoo. I don't have IDs on most of them, so I'll only title the ones I'm sure of.

some kind of pretty swan

Black swan

Chinese or golden pheasant

Penguins!

Some kind of dove and a budgie

crowned crane

Flamingo

Screech owl (He looks positively diabolical)

Peacock

Abyssinian Ground Hornbill (I really like these, I know they're not the most attractive species, but, I don't normally give animals popcorn, but the ONE TIME I did, one of these came over, I gave it a peice of popcorn, than I second one came over, I threw a piece of popcorn for it, and the first one caught it! I was like "Why you..." than he gave the popcorn the second one!! It was SOOOOOO cute :p )

kookaburra

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We do have a great zoo don't we?

Don't worry about the missing tarantulas as they get rotated quite often. You need to go the the bug house in October as the zoo is placing an emphasis on "creepy crawly" bugs to coincide with Halloween. Lots of tarantulas out there now.

Great tour of the zoo Ariel, thank you.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I love the zoo :D during the warm months we go every other week usually. Our zoo pass has likely paid for itself tenfold. :D

I certainly hope they're not dead though! I ADORED that B. boehmei, and I was heartbroken to see it gone! And I'm trying!!! It's just, with the cold, and buisyness lately I haven't gotten the chance!!! This weekend is suppose to be warmer so I'm hoping to go then! I heard about the emphasis too, my sister told me, I've been dying to go even more than usual since I heard. {D {D {D {D

Thank you. :)

I need to get some more pics in this thread, I still have a ton more catagories to post!!!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ocean life

I do love the aquarium. Unfortunatly I'm not that great at taking pics of our underwater friends, so I don't have many pics. I'll do my best on IDs, but I don't know some.

???

Mantis Shrimp

Mandarin Goby

wobbegong

an awesome starfish

Leafy seadragon

Stickly fish!!! :D :D :D (oh ok, they're shrimp fish, but stickly fish sounds better:rolleyes: )

Nautilus

Unicorn fish, blue tang, and ???

???

???

Sea turtle!!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hoofstock

Hoofstock, yay. I know most of these ones. They're also not really my cup of tea, so I don't have many pics of them.

Tuffed deer

Okapi

Bongo

Do giraffes count as hoofstock (I don't think so...)

/Edit/ forgot this picture

Last edited:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These guys deserve their own post...

cause they're so freaking GOSH DARN CUTE!!!