Help!

Kasshole

Arachnopeon
9C634B03-8FA7-434C-9C70-B000E6AB0B3D.jpeg My poor like A. Chalcodes isn’t looking good.. she’s my first adult so I’m still kinda new to the T world. She hasn’t ate since May and I was told she is in pre-molt but she doesn’t look good... any ideas or tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Checklist:
Was recently rehoused?
Has drinking water available?
Could it be a mature male?
Has T fallen in enclosure -- looks like quite a distance from top.
How long have you had this T?
Do you know for sure it's eaten since last moult? (sucking stomach issue)
What does full enclosure look like (any pix?)
Any other symptoms?

I'm sure others will also chime in with ideas.
T sort of looked fine to me, but I don't keep this species. (not sure if that is normal rump shape for this T).
Long fasts can be normal for adult Ts.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
View attachment 320482 My poor like A. Chalcodes isn’t looking good.. she’s my first adult so I’m still kinda new to the T world. She hasn’t ate since May and I was told she is in pre-molt but she doesn’t look good... any ideas or tips?
You’re T looks very skinny to be due a moult. Have you checked to Make sure it has fangs as these could have broke in a bad moult as you’re T should be hungry being that skinny

Kasshole

Arachnopeon
You’re T looks very skinny to be due a moult. Have you checked to Make sure it has fangs as these could have broke in a bad moult as you’re T should be hungry being that skinny
Her fangs are fine, she just won’t eat..

cold blood

Staff member
I assume its been offered food...what kinds? Have you tried pre killed?

Its not pre-molt, it looks recently molted, like just before you got her maybe.....now her abdomen is looking shriveled a bit...not a good sign.

I assume she has a water dish?

It could have had a sucking stomach issue with the next molt. Only hope there is that it makes it to the next molt.

Her fangs are fine, she just won’t eat..
Geez, that's bad...if its a sucking stomach this would explain not only her not eating, but her not drinking....which would explain the shriveled look to the abdomen.

Where did you get her? (private seller or a business)

I ask because they told you it was pre molt (which its obviously not and most certainly wasn't at the time of purchase)...this tells me they perhaps knew it wasn't eating and gave pre molt as the explanation to sell her....knowing full well she would probably die in time.:(

This is speculation, nothing more.

Last edited:

Kasshole

Arachnopeon
Checklist:
Was recently rehoused?
Has drinking water available?
Could it be a mature male?
Has T fallen in enclosure -- looks like quite a distance from top.
How long have you had this T?
Do you know for sure it's eaten since last moult? (sucking stomach issue)
What does full enclosure look like (any pix?)
Any other symptoms?

I'm sure others will also chime in with ideas.
T sort of looked fine to me, but I don't keep this species. (not sure if that is normal rump shape for this T).
Long fasts can be normal for adult Ts.

Has not been recently rehoused
Yes she has water
Could be a male?? But I don’t see any hooks
Has not fallen
Had since May and has not eaten
I bought her in May and she hasn’t molted since so idk her history

I assume its been offered food...what kinds? Have you tried pre killed?

Its not pre-molt, it looks recently molted, like just before you got her maybe.....now her abdomen is looking shriveled a bit...not a good sign.

I assume she has a water dish? (private seller or a business)

It could have had a sucking stomach issue with the next molt. Only hope there is that it makes it to the next molt.

Geez, that's bad...if its a sucking stomach this would explain not only her not eating, but her not drinking....which would explain the shriveled look to the abdomen.

Where did you get her?

I ask because they told you it was pre molt (which its obviously not and most certainly wasn't at the time of purchase)...this tells me they perhaps knew it wasn't eating and gave pre molt as the explanation to sell her....knowing full well she would probably die in time.:(

This is speculation, nothing more.

I got her from an expo and they said she had just eaten.. I was told she wasn’t eating from people on this forum and other T owners that it was pre-molt.. she is still active and pretty feisty

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Could be a male?? But I don’t see any hooks
Never look for hooks...look for emboli. That said, its absolutely not a MM....MM chalcodes don't look like that remotely.
Has not fallen
Unless you watch 24/7, you cant make this claim for certain.....but I doubt this is your issue.
I got her from an expo and they said she had just eaten
I am going with, they know the issue, and lied to sell the t. If this skinny t ate for them, it would have eaten for you...plain and simple...ts don't stop eating because their enclosure changed or moved to a different house. Its thin, it should want food.
I was told she wasn’t eating from people on this forum and other T owners that it was pre-molt
Take note of who told you that...now you know who not to listen to in the future...there is no way this t is pre molt, or was in may or june....unless of course if this t looked much different and was much much fatter when you got her.

she is still active and pretty feisty
Finally, a positive.

I am guessing its a sucking stomach issue that occurred last molt....there's literally nothing you can do but hop (and pray if you're into that). It just needs to molt again...unfortunately it could still be a while.

Thing with this issue, is that they can try to drink often...like the more often you see them drink, the more likely there's an issue, as frequent drinking isn't normal for a healthy t.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Your best hope is to offer a food T will take... and make sure your T drinks!!!

Also -- mine was a general checklist -- not specific to your T but Ts in general -- things a newbie can rule out (or diagnose if it fits).

Cold Blood is correct that the rump looks a bit shriveled; and if T ate for former owner -- it should eat for you. Yes, there is a settling in period, but Ts are survivors -- they don't starve themselves for no reason.

[edited to add more]

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Could you post a picture of the whole enclosure? Just to make sure there's nothing amiss.

Also, she's most probably wild-caught... a parasite of some sort maybe? Just throwing out ideas. :(

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, I just found the original thread....almost everyone there agreed it wasn't in pre molt....buuut, it looked very different...it was indeed much plumper back then.

Geez, I hate to go the parasite route as I usually think its just worrying people...but this could be the case.....I now don't think you were lied to by the seller, because she looked really good, plump and healthy when you got her.

If its an issue with a molt, or damage from a fall (perhaps even before you got her) or something physical, molting could and would likely solve all problems....if its a parasite, its a goner and you may see a fly or wasp something emerge from her.

Kasshole

Arachnopeon
Would a parasite change her behavior? She was soooo sweet and loving now she’s feisty.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Would a parasite change her behavior? She was soooo sweet and loving now she’s a feisty ..
Parasites will affect a T's health (attitude, well, I dunno but it makes sense it might). I definitely need to add "is it wild-caught' to my newbie checklist.

But, if it makes you feel any better, you can only offer food and water at this point (and provide a safe appropriate enclosure); anything else is beyond your control. Meaning: do your best, you've consulted these boards -- you can only do so much -- and this isn't your fault or something you've done wrong.

I am still a bit hopeful you can find a food T will take, that your T will drink some water and will be fine. It's the most we can hope for. (fingers crossed)

Kasshole

Arachnopeon
Parasites will affect a T's health (attitude, well, I dunno but it makes sense it might). I definitely need to add "is it wild-caught' to my newbie checklist.

But, if it makes you feel any better, you can only offer food and water at this point (and provide a safe appropriate enclosure); anything else is beyond your control. Meaning: do your best, you've consulted these boards -- you can only do so much -- and this isn't your fault or something you've done wrong.

I am still a bit hopeful you can find a food T will take, that your T will drink some water and will be fine. It's the most we can hope for. (fingers crossed)

Thank you so much! I anticipate people being mean or assuming I’m a horrible owner but I’ve done all I can so thank you for being nice! I will keep giving her food and water and hope for the best!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I know that it's already been established as a probable issue and not something you can help with, but just in case not all is hopeless, I was wondering if there's a bald spot on her abdomen (I really think I see one in the first pic). If there is, is that bald spot dark like it looks in the picture? I agree with the others that she doesn't look healthy and there is likely some issue, but sometimes damage or previous molt issues will push a T to molt again sooner to try and correct the issue. If she's trying to rush a molt and is actually in premolt now, there is at least a slight possibility that she can recover.

Is it possible for you to get another picture of her abdomen just to see?