Help

waby

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Its my first time posting here im not sure if here is the right thread if so can someone move it. So about my question are those dangerous about my tarantula

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It looks like baby crickets. They can be dangerous if your specimen is in moulting process.

How many can you see in there?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Lol baby crickets aren't dangerous. They will run right to the water dish and drown in mass. I assume this is an adult enclosure since you put a preggo adult cricket in.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Can't give you exact measurements but i feed her with adult crickets if that gives you some view of her size
Just take a picture with your phone so we can see approximate size and the set up of the Enclosure.

But to answer your original inquiry, it looks like you have some baby crickets in there.

What type of Tarantula is it? Most species should not be kept on Substrate that is damp enough for a cricket to lay eggs in that successfully hatch.

waby

Arachnopeon
Just take a picture with your phone so we can see approximate size and the set up of the Enclosure.

But to answer your original inquiry, it looks like you have some baby crickets in there.

What type of Tarantula is it? Most species should not be kept on Substrate that is damp enough for a cricket to lay eggs in that successfully hatch.
Acanthoscurria geniculata . At the beginning i got told i use too much water but from couple of months i water only one of the edges of the enclosure.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That set up is not ideal for a heavy bodied Terrestrial.

The distance from the Substrate to the lid should not be more than 1.5 times the DLS (diagonal leg span) of the Spider.
The tall branch poses a risk if it climbs up there and falls off the edge. I would remove the branch and just leave the leaves in there.
I don't see a water dish. If there isn't a water dish then you need to add one. Water is crucial, especially with molting.

Crickets breed in moist substrate. It should not be moist enough in there to permit successful breeding.

waby

Arachnopeon
That set up is not ideal for a heavy bodied Terrestrial.

The distance from the Substrate to the lid should not be more than 1.5 times the DLS (diagonal leg span) of the Spider.
The tall branch poses a risk if it climbs up there and falls off the edge. I would remove the branch and just leave the leaves in there.
I don't see a water dish. If there isn't a water dish then you need to add one. Water is crucial, especially with molting.

Crickets breed in moist substrate. It should not be moist enough in there to permit successful breeding.
I've seen her climb the enclosure and I can say its more than 2 times her size maybe it looks smaller than it is. I don'think she can get on the branch its too thin but i guess i should remove it. There is a water dish behind the cork.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've seen her climb the enclosure and I can say its more than 2 times her size maybe it looks smaller than it is. I don'think she can get on the branch its too thin but i guess i should remove it. There is a water dish behind the cork.
That's not what @darkness975 meant ;)
Your enclosure is too high for a large terrestrial spider. If the space between the top of the substrate/bedding and the lid of the enclosure is more than 2 times the Diagnonal Leg Span of your A.geniculata, it is too high for your spider. She can climb all the way up, fall, and rupture her abdomen or getting seriously hurt. Your setup is more appropriate for an arboreal Theraphosid. For this species, more floorspace than height is better. The twigs you have in there standing up also pose a threat to your spider, she can climb in it and fall, or fall from the top on it and get hurt.
I would remove the substrate, since there is already a pest (mini crickets) in it, and then put all new in it and fill the enclosure at least halfway with substrate. Or house her in another terrarium that has more floorspace than height. Remove the twig, the rest of the deco is fine. Add a waterdish and keep the substrate slightly damp but not moist or wet. I would just dampen half of the floorspace, leave it to dry out, switching sides. The spider will tell you what she prefers by sitting on either side :)

waby

Arachnopeon
That's not what @darkness975 meant ;)
Your enclosure is too high for a large terrestrial spider. If the space between the top of the substrate/bedding and the lid of the enclosure is more than 2 times the Diagnonal Leg Span of your A.geniculata, it is too high for your spider. She can climb all the way up, fall, and rupture her abdomen or getting seriously hurt. Your setup is more appropriate for an arboreal Theraphosid. For this species, more floorspace than height is better. The twigs you have in there standing up also pose a threat to your spider, she can climb in it and fall, or fall from the top on it and get hurt.
I would remove the substrate, since there is already a pest (mini crickets) in it, and then put all new in it and fill the enclosure at least halfway with substrate. Or house her in another terrarium that has more floorspace than height. Remove the twig, the rest of the deco is fine. Add a waterdish and keep the substrate slightly damp but not moist or wet. I would just dampen half of the floorspace, leave it to dry out, switching sides. The spider will tell you what she prefers by sitting on either side :)
Thank for the advice! I'll fix the enclosure as soon as i can :)

waby

Arachnopeon
Also can you give me some tips of moving in and out the T. I've never worked with such big one and I'm a bit scared of hurting her because sometimes if she moves faster i panic and do stupid stuff .

sasker

Arachnoprince
Try to place a catch cup over your spider. They are much less intimidating when they are confined in a small cup. Just shove the lid under the body of the spider and presto! a tarantula ready to be transported to another enclosure (or it can wait in there until you are done overhauling your current one). Your flinching will also get less if you use long tongs. If you don't have them, buy them. They are an absolute necessity if you don't want to get bit/haired by your spider.

And remember to move slowly and steadily. Just try to ignore the fast movements of your spider, because they normally can move at a speed that exceeds your response capacity. If you make sure your fingers are not anywhere where they can get tagged, you should be fine.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank for the advice! I'll fix the enclosure as soon as i can :)
What @Andrea82 said is what I meant.

For transporting or confining them to safely work in the Enclosure, the two things you need are catch cups and long handled tongs. 12" minimum length.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Update on the enclosure. I hope she is more happy in here
What kind of ventilation has this enclosure? I would bury half of that corkbark in the substrate so the hide is closed at one end. This will make the spider feel more secure.
I would also pack the substrate a bit tighter. It looks a bit loose, and they don't like loose soil to walk on. :)

waby

Arachnopeon
What kind of ventilation has this enclosure? I would bury half of that corkbark in the substrate so the hide is closed at one end. This will make the spider feel more secure.
I would also pack the substrate a bit tighter. It looks a bit loose, and they don't like loose soil to walk on. :)
It has a mesh like ventilation on top. The back of the cork is closed with substrate and she made a tunnel through it. Last time she did the same and closed the front so i guess she will fix it alone.I didn't have so much coco fiber and didn't press it so much so i could've fill it more.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It has a mesh like ventilation on top. The back of the cork is closed with substrate and she made a tunnel through it. Last time she did the same and closed the front so i guess she will fix it alone.I didn't have so much coco fiber and didn't press it so much so i could've fill it more.
Mesh top is not really suitable for terrestrials. They can get their tarsal claws (the ends of their 'feet') stuck in that which can cause dangerous situations resulting in falls or loss of limbs. I would replace it with an acryllic piece with lots of holes in it.
Re: substrate, I would pack it down and add some new to it and pack that as well. You might as well get all the changes done in one go ;)