help

Status
Not open for further replies.

millz

Arachnopeon
WOW. Just wow, man. Why'd you have to pick H. Mac as your Second T? And decides to put it in a 35 GALLON HEXAGON TANK?! But well, what's done is done. First, you may have been offended since the posts on your thread are a bit negative for you, but man that's just what it really is. I get it. You may have loved the beauty of H. Mac or you find it "thrilling" to own species such as H. Mac. That kind of mentality is not good at all when you're starting this hobby. You must think first of your safety and the safety of your family. Once your H. Mac got the best of you, who knows what would happen. You must also think about your T. Did you really think that a 35 gallon hexagon tank would be good for your T or only for the sake of display? I must say, a hexagon tank is beautiful for display but a 35 gallon one? PLEASE, you have to reconsider. It would be hard to maintain, for one. Having a bolting H. Mac while having maintenance in such a big enclosure? That's gonna be a problem.

Please reconsider. An H. Mac is not advisable for a beginner. Heck, I've got my most thrilling tarantula as my fourth one (OBT) and I'm still thinking of a better way to feed it since it is still in a deli cup and how to transfer it once it gets bigger. Remember, if you're offended by the comment, suck it all up. Admit it, you've done a pretty abrasgeive decision. Now you have it, take our advice if you don't have plans on returning it and exchanging it for another. It would be of great help for you. Happy keeping! :)
thanks for the positive reply and advice im actually planning on getting a obt for my third T i fell in love with them and the hex was more of an idea once people told me it was no good for tarantulas i just found a new pet for it lol now i plan to put crested geckos in it i like to have alot of animals

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
I'm not surprised at all that your H. mac got loose during a rehouse. You are a future Darwin awards winner.

millz

Arachnopeon
I'm not surprised at all that your H. mac got loose during a rehouse. You are a future Darwin awards winner.
pro or not h macs can get loose thats just a fact (ive watched hundeds of rehousing videos) and i contained him quickly without harm <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Your level of ignorance is mind bending.

Lol people like this are probably the reason Poec54 left.

Hey! I don't share credit! It was I, and I alone! ;)

Actually, I remarked to somebody during another kerfluffle that my nonsense would probably look pretty good these days. Maybe it was in the infamous "bass guitar" thread...

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Can we have a photo of the new enclosure so we can scrutinise the setup? I know this sounds like something a parent would say, but you'll thank us later.

Edit: Just realised he's older than me. Wow.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
lol im just gunna be a "troll" now but no thats where the obt sling is going i put the h mac in a more proper set up when i rehoused it she got lose in my shower was a thrilling expirence i would have gotten bite if i didnt have a hoodie and gloves on now i know i am capable of any tarantula
:banghead:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Ignore the thread and/or user.
Absolutely. I understand where he's coming from though. Nothing irks me faster than these cocky newbies buying an advanced OW, and acting like children. I've literally met six year olds with more tact and maturity. I dunno why it's such a common theme these days and why so many people here give the general advice that getting an advanced OW as a first T is fine "if you do the proper research" because THEY themselves haven't done the proper research about the person they're giving advice to. It's about more than reading up and watching well-sourced videos. Certain people are not cut out for this hobby because they lack key qualities like patience, responsibility, and the ability to fully comprehend actions & their subsequent consequences. I've said this before and I'll say it again-- there is BIOLOGICAL PROOF that teenagers are more prone to risk-taking and cannot fully think through their actions to what the plausible consequences are. They can think it, but it doesn't hold the weight that it does for an adult with a fully myelinated brain.

I'm not trying to be ageist. I've seen responsible teenage keepers here. @Biollantefan54 comes to mind. He was like 15 or so when I was here before my hiatus and he always seemed respectful and responsible when approaching this hobby. Unfortunately, a lot of teenagers are absolutely reckless and act without thinking and give the other teenagers a bad name. Stop recommending advanced Ts as a general rule when you do not know what that person is like. Even young adults and older adults can be irresponsible and foolhardy, I can think of a few off the top of my head. And they don't even have an excuse! Their brains are completely developed!

This hobby takes more than being able to read and -hold- that new information (like someone around here, not naming any names, was told H. mac has a propensity for burrowing when young less than a month ago and 'forgot.' :rolleyes:) it takes a couple personality attributes as well. So perhaps we should stop with the trend of "if you read, you can do anything" and instead start factoring in a person's personality. If they just arrived and you haven't been able to glean what they're like yet, then assume the worst until they prove otherwise. It's not going to kill them to start off with a B. hamorii even if they are incredibly responsible and up to the challenge. It could very well kill the tarantula or other pets if they're not responsible enough, however.

I just have a lot of feelings about this subject and OP is a prime example of why the "if you read, you can handle an OW" trend needs to die.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Agreed. I hope I'm not in that category (though admittedly, I do handle centipedes).
You are a fine example of how people of your age should go about things, so no, you are definitely not in that category. As to handling, from what I gathered, handling centipedes puts mainly the handler at risk and not so much the animal :D. Correct me if I'm wrong though. ;)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You're not as unbearable as you think.. ;)
He's not but I remember Poec getting fussy at him back before my hiatus. :rofl:

Poec and I actually got on rather well. We're both sassy and he probably has arthritis too. Guh the thought of him being told 'u mad bro' is priceless. Wish I still had his address. I'd send him a christmas card. I miss his level-headed sassiness.

Or maybe I'd send him a christmas card from Tim and include photoshopped pictures of opossums in lingerie.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
He's not but I remember Poec getting fussy at him back before my hiatus. :rofl:

Poec and I actually got on rather well. We're both sassy and he probably has arthritis too. Guh the thought of him being told 'u mad bro' is priceless. Wish I still had his address. I'd send him a christmas card. I miss his level-headed sassiness.

Or maybe I'd send him a christmas card from Tim and include photoshopped pictures of opossums in lingerie.
Agreed. One of my favorite members.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Ignore the thread and/or user.
That's sad man. Stick around.
I've made good friends on here, I like it here. But I'm nowhere near as active as I was a year or two ago. We get some great newbies around here from time to time, but as you two know that accounts for maybe 10% of new users. The rest are either blowhards, trolls, or kids with no idea what they're getting into.

I'm not going anywhere, trust me :) I just wish that some of the old timers were still around.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
People like this are why I'm removing from the site, slowly but surely. It gets exhausting.
Agreed..

Too many trolls are squeezing under the radar.. Honestly I would like to see all handling related threads and pictures banned from the site.
If it's a thread discussing potent O/Ws with a dim witted new keeper it should be moderated heavily..
What's the point of trying to help if they wipe there nose with our advice.. I don't really see much point in posting anymore.. I keep all my exciting news, successes and failures close to my chest. Lately people seem to only care about handling and dramatic threads. The interesting ones( the ones that we tend to learn from) get buried by the garbage.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I keep all my exciting news, successes and failures close to my chest. People seem to only care about handling and dramatic threads. The interesting ones get buried by the garbage.
Absolutely. And that's what is irritating. Those that frequent this site know the basics that are brought up literally daily. It is those success/failure stories where small tidbits of knowledge get passed on. And that's why I said that I don't really learn too much on these forums anymore.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Absolutely. And that's what is irritating. Those that frequent this site know the basics that are brought up literally daily. It is those success/failure stories where small tidbits of knowledge get passed on. And that's why I said that I don't really learn too much on these forums anymore.
Yup.. It's funny I edited my post to reiterate that point while you were posting. Poec had warned that this would happen.. You have two main camps when it comes to Ts.. The casual hobbyists and the rest of us.. Arachnoboards has always been more of a serious site. Even though some of us more eccentric keepers( me:)) do post nonsense threads sometimes we still contribute more knowledge whether it's care and breeding or natural, taxonomic knowlede than trash. It's like playing Dark Souls.. It's fun to thrash a casual here and there but when there is no competition it's time play Ng+ offline..

Status
Not open for further replies.