1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by millz, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Advertisement
    Ah ah say what you want but millz (sounds like MILF) cracks me up with his comebacks :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

People are trying to help. At least in their own way.

It would be best to sell it to a more experienced keeper.

3. Chris LXXIX

But in all honesty, quite frankly, and saying this with all the respect for other keepers suggesting nothing but valid advices/genuine help, I don't care anymore if the average Joe/Nancy wants to buy as first/second T's the likes of P.murinus or whatever.

In Italy this doesn't happens. We had a ban before, now we are "regulated" (fine for me, since no Theraphosidae is banned, unlike other European nations where, sometimes, 'Pokies' are questioned etc) so no one sell/trade to 'noobs' certain T's, period. Feel free to not believe me.

Call me/view me as "egoist", ain't one. Just that sometimes people need to 'smash the face upon the wall' for have back a good, little dose of common sense. This is how life works, for me.

Ain't the one that will pay the (hypothetical) E.R bill. Ain't a parent the Doc will (hypothetically) question (because in general Docs are curious about certain things). An (eventually) dog/cat/other pet/whatever bitten aren't mines.

If millz needs an advice, I will give one. Basically follow what I've said in my first post here in your thread, aka 'pay attention' and don't care about my 'comma' joke.

Keep the sling in a well ventilated enough enclosure. Not wet, but not dry substrate either. Offer stuff for hide (fake plants, whatever) because they are kinda "vampires" in regards of light, IMO (even as adults).

Not my fav. baboon to keep (due to their reclusive nature, for that the 0.1 patterns/colours are stunning) but anyway, good luck.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. millz

millz Arachnopeon

tarantulas are not that popular over here no one would buy her and i would not sell her either way

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Arachnosupporter

Sigh. Let me try to explain this.

At 17, you are a kid in the eyes of the law, if nowhere else. Now, you may not be aware if it, but there are entities that would very much like to see the ban of exotics. YThere are entities that would like to see the ownership of pets banned altogether, even.
    These are always willing to jump at the chance at calling attention to a mishap occurring in the hopes of pushing into effect laws that satisfies their agenda. And one of the tools to do so is the cry "Think of the children!" They'll play that card even quicker than when an adult has an unfortunate encounter with an exotic pet.
    Now, I don't know how widespread the rules are when it comes to medical professionals calling authorities when an "unusual" incident brings somebody, particularly a minor to their facilty, but it does happen. My mother was mauled by our dog and it required a trip for her to the ER. The next day, somebody from the sheriff's department called to investigate, to make sure the dog had had its rabies shots (it had, of course). That is perhaps a case of comparing apples to oranges, but it shows that it isn't inconceivable for authorities to be alerted when somebody is harmed by a pet.

Now,dogs aren't considered to be unusual pets. They (most breeds anyway) are not misunderstood and feared nearly as universally as spiders, many reptiles, etc, are. So the possibility of drawing attention to oneself from being bitten by a "poisonous" spider is actually a bit higher. And then there is the media, who sniffs those kind of things out. None of that escapes those groups who wish to eliminate the keeping of ALL exotic pets, along with those that would be happy to see all pets and livestock unburdened from their yoke of oppression.

Where I live, we narrowly dodged an exotics ban. And by definition tarantulas would have been covered by the blanket of that law, which was actually signed into law. But the governor, after pressure from businesses that stood to lose money and from groups advocating the exotics hobby, repealed the law. But it was close.

So that's why people get twitchy here about these kind of threads. And because of the fact that we get at least one of these sort of threads a month, probably. Somebody rolls in, announces they have bought, or plan to buy, a tarantula outside of their skill set. It almost always ends the same.
    Myself, I'm no guru when it comes to keeping tarantulas. But, I do have some experience in caring for them and knowing their abilities by following other people's experience as well as my own. And I am pretty unlikely to keep hotter species nonetheless. Simply because I don't think I have the chops to deal with something that I lack the reflexes to deal with in order to care for them properly. Personally, I don't find OWs to be interesting enough to warrant the risk, though their are a couple species that I'd like to own but my common sense prevails.. A long time ago I DID purchase an OW. Before there were resources like this place and I did not know enough to even realize there was a difference between OWs and NWs. It did not live long of course, because I didn't know any better to not keep it like the B. hamorii and G. porteri specimens I had kept in the past. I didn't even know what I even had until years later, after I came here.

So generally we strongly try to discourage people from wetting their feet in the OW pool and often encourage a "ladder system". There are several, attractive, interesting and feisty tarantulas out there that can prepare a person for the eventuality of keeping OWs. And when those species give you the experience you should have, then it is time to consider casting a wider net if you wish to.
    "The "I want/have one, I'm gonna get it/ keep it no matter what anyone says, now can you tell me how to keep it?" minset is viewed in a pretty dim light, and the reaction you got is pretty much the standard response from most keepers. Those of us who have been here any amount of time know exactly where the topic is heading from the first post.

And then there is the issue of trolls, but no need to go into that.

• Like Like x 5
    • Award Award x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. millz

millz Arachnopeon

i have good health insurance lol and i will respect the tarantula completly so lets see what happens will be posting pictures and do you guys know if i move to dominican republic can i ship my tarantulas and pacman frogs to myself or bring them on the plane

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Lol Tarantulas are huge in the States.
    I bet you could find a buyer in days.

Doesn't @14pokies live there as well? He probably wouldn't mind taking it in.

I remember how obsessed I was with this species as a noob. It was all I wanted in a spider, but I forced myself to wait and aquire other equally pretty spiders. I gained experience and finally made the plunge a couple years ago. One of the smartest choices I ever made in the hobby. There is no way in hell I would have been able to handle it during rehousing, and probably wouldn't be able to care for it in the first place.

All in all, I get it. But trust someone who was in the same spot. Wait. Get some other species. I bet you'll end up liking them more anyhow. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. millz

millz Arachnopeon

i see what you are trying to say and im the type of person to just tell the doc a random spider bite me in the park i love all exotic animals and would hate for them to get banned

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Chris LXXIX

Son :) you can do what you want.

Long live Santo Domingo, btw, ah ah. Still, I prefer old good 'zombie' Haiti.

• Like Like x 1
  10. boina

boina Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Germany
    You are kidding, right? There is not a single spider in the whole of North America who's bite makes similar symptoms. And believe me, once you are in that kind of pain all your noble intentions are forgotten anyway because all you will want is help - the faster the better - and a doctor can and will only properly help you once he knows what he's dealing with. Go, read the bite reports.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire

Germany
    I have to say, I do enjoy the irony of you calling anyone stupid very much...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

You'll have to check the laws of the Dominican Republic.

Transporting animals internationally generally requires you to go through customs and pay fees (if the species isn't banned by that country). If you don't follow the proper procedures (for example, mailing it to another country without declaring the contents of the package), there can be serious legal repercussions.

In order to be treated for envenomation by a medically significant species, it is vital for the doctor to know exactly what bit you. (The same applies to drug overdoses.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon

So your entire arm is in spasm, you're sweating hot and cold, you feel sick and you're telling me that rather than tell the professionals EXACTLY what species bit you so you can receive the correct treatment, you're going to lie? You've shown your naivety in this thread from start to finish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. millz

millz Arachnopeon

i was being sarcastic

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. millz

millz Arachnopeon

IMG_1031.JPG

Attached Files:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. millz

millz Arachnopeon

IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1033.JPG

• Sad Sad x 1
  17. millz

millz Arachnopeon

Rehousing her went well some guy told me I should feed everyday doesn't sound right to me what do you think?

18. MGery92

MGery92 Arachnosquire

That's cool, terrestrial setup for an arboreal...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

Uhm...H.maculata is an arboreal species. Your set up is terrestrial...you're going to need to rehouse it again. Can you please at least read some care info before you do that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon

Wow . . . just . . . wow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1