1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by millz, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millz

millz Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    hi im new i just got a ornamental baboon tarantula from a expo its a sling how should i take care of it any tips and good advice its my second tarantula my first was a costa rican stripe knee this is my first sling and i dont know if i should mist or not

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

You got an H. maculata as a second tarantula? That was a really awful decision. o_O You realize this species can put you in the hospital with a bite, right? Here are the bite reports on this species. Here are some of my favorite excerpts:

Misting is pointless. It adds humidity for a very short period of time and then it's gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ediblepain

ediblepain Arachnosquire Active Member

My advice is simple.. exchange it for something else. This is not a good T for beginners.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. millz

millz Arachnopeon

lol thanks for all the warnings but im not worried one bit now do you have any advice so i can care for her properly and i do not plan on returning the T once she gets bigger im gunna put her in a 35 gallon hexagon tank

• Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  5. ediblepain

ediblepain Arachnosquire Active Member

That tank is way too big for a T. They thrive in small, cozy containers. <edit> I'm just going to bow out of this thread and let someone with more tact handle this.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Nephila Edulis

Nephila Edulis Arachnoknight Active Member

Man... You'll probably regret this decision. They're super fast and aren't hesitant to bite at all. Couple that with really nasty venom and you've got yourself a terrible second T. There's two "kinds" of Tarantulas, the Old worlds and the New worlds. You just got an old world, and not just any OW, you got an H. maculata

A 35 gallon hexagon tank is WAY too big for a T. If you think any baboon is a good tarantula while you're just starting out, I doubt you'd know how to care for them properly. I've been bitten by an OW and trust me it is not fun

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Anyone that does there homework properly should be able to get H. mac as a second T... but you sir, haven't.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Award Award x 1
  8. Nephila Edulis

Nephila Edulis Arachnoknight Active Member

Yes that is true. A sling is probably going to be less likely to bite and easier to manage. Big it's still an OW

9. chanda

chanda Arachnodemon Active Member

Ok, so everyone agrees that an H mac. is not the best choice for a second tarantula. Heck, I've been keeping T's for 8 or 9 years now and have a current collection of 20-odd T's, plus an assortment of scorpions, centipedes, true spiders, and other inverts - and I'm still not sure I'm "ready" for an H. mac.

But... OP already has the spider. It was purchased at an expo, so returning it or exchanging it for something else is not an option. The expo has no doubt ended, the dealer has packed up and gone home, and the spider - for better or worse - is in the hands of a relative newbie keeper.

Warnings have been given. The toxicity of the venom and speed of the spider have been pointed out. Further pointing out the inadvisability of purchasing this spider are - at this point - far too late to accomplish anything.

Perhaps someone who has experience with the species can chime in with the appropriate care information? I would love to help, but this is not a spider I have any experience with so I can't offer more than a little general care advice.

It is arboreal, so it will need a container that's taller than it is long with enough substrate to maintain humidity and - at least while it's young - allow it to make a small burrow or scrape to hide in, if it is so inclined. It will also need something to climb on and plenty of anchor points for webbing. While it is a sling, it should be kept in an appropriately small container to make it easier for it to find and capture food. It should have access to a water dish which should be kept filled at all times. EXTREME care should be exercised any time the enclosure is opened for feedings, cleaning, or rehousing. Be sure you know exactly where the spider is before you open the enclosure, keep your fingers away from the spider (use tongs to remove boluses or dead crickets), keep a catch-cup handy, and consider doing any cage maintenance inside another, larger container. (I do my cage cleaning and rehousing inside a large Rubbermaid tub. Some people do theirs in the bathtub (with the drain and overflow closed/covered). This gives you a second chance to catch the spider if it makes a break for it.) They are unbelievable fast and can practically teleport. Do not trust that the spider will stay put. While it may be sitting quietly on the side of the cork bark, if you leave the cage open or turn your back for a moment to grab the tongs or a water bottle or whatever, it can be out of the cage and across the room - or up your pant leg - before you even realize that it has moved.

OW tarantulas are not to be taken lightly, particularly if you share your living accommodations with other people. Family members, roommates, neighbors in an apartment building, are all potentially at risk, should the spider escape. It is up to you to make sure that never happens. You should also warn any roommates or family members of the toxicity of the spider so they don't try to pick it up or handle it in a moment of stupid bravado, thinking it is as innocuous as a cute, fuzzy "rosie."

It is never a good idea to acquire a new pet before properly researching what the needs of that pet are - as well as any potential risks that might accompany it. For the future, you should research carefully before picking up another tarantula, no matter how cute that sling at the expo might be. While it is a bit backward at this point, having already purchased the spider, you should research all you can about it. Read the bite reports. Search the forums here for previous discussions about the care for this species. Learn everything you can about them - but also consider the source. Online care sheets can be contradictory or outright wrong. Youtube channels where people pick up and handle any and all species of tarantulas to earn imaginary internet points ("likes" or "upvotes" or whatever) are equally suspect. But - if you can acquire solid information about your spider and treat it with the caution and respect it deserves - this can still turn out ok for both you and the spider.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  10. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

Don't forget other pets.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. chanda

chanda Arachnodemon Active Member

True! We instituted a separate "bug room" so we could keep a closed door between our inverts and our other furry friends after my Siamese developed an unhealthy fascination with my Scolopendra subspinipes. While I doubt she could have gotten into the (locked) cage, I wouldn't 100% put it past her. I did catch my calico pulling out the pin from another of my cages, though I think she just liked the pin and had no intention of opening the cage. I feel much better now that the cats can't get anywhere near the cages!

• Like Like x 1
  12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I wish I had a dollar for every thread like this that appears.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  13. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Hello there :)

Just pay attention to his/her speed. Pay attention, because the bite (venom potency) is brutal. Pay attention during feeding/cage upgrades times, always with a catch cup at hand. In sum, pay attention at 360° maybe a bit more the way you pay attention for the use of 'comma' in posts :kiss:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

@millz
    <edit>

I'll offer this. It's a sling, right? Mist it often and keep it very damp. They die in anything less than 80% humidity as slings. Other than that, good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ok, so you got an H mac as your second tarantula. There were way better choices as a second T, but you are where you are. Prepare for the always secluded always hiding tarantula that may give you that crazed burst anytime you open the enclosure. I've had a couple, currently one and "knock on wood" it hasn't happened. The females are really pretty when they mature, they turn very whitish.

As far as a 35 Hex, you can use it, but you'll have a 5" tarantula that takes up one tiny part of that big tank with the rest of it getting wasted. An 8x8x12 Exo-terra might be a better choice if you want a display tank.

Anyway, you sound like you're owning your choice. Take the concern and advice. People have the best intentions here. You're almost an adult. Please be adult like in your care. Always treat your H mac like it's going to explode out from behind it's hide when you open the container. Keep the catch cup near and work in open areas. Don't make this a burden on your parents.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. boina

boina Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Germany
    If you aren't worried one bit you are <edit>.

But I'm not worried either. H. macs are notoriously difficult to take care of even for experienced keepers and you not only haven't got any experience but from all you posted you haven't even basic tarantula keeping knowledge. I predict this sling will be dead in less than a month.

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Top Notch :)

Not even the arboreals of the Prez!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnopeon

First thing, Sir. Congratulations on your new T. It is obvious that it is what you wanted, and now you must properly provide for both your own well being, and that of your new H. Mac.. I am new to this hobby also and I have nothing of substance to provide regarding the care of your T., but I want to address the issue from a different perspective, that being your response. These folks are an absolute treasure trove of information. Some of their comments may be rather direct, but the veterans know this business well. So, don't cop attitude. Whether it be presented with kid gloves or not, take the suggestions and put them in your "tool box" of information. If you don't like the presentation start a private conversation with that individual if you must, but the person to whom you show displeasure may own 10 H. Macs and be your go to source in the future when you may REALLY need help. Summarizing, don't burn bridges.

Like I said, I'm new to this also. I am researching my choices for a second T and would love an H. Mac., but I'm gonna wait on that because I'm not confident enough yet. However, if I found one amazingly cheap, or someone was giving one away, I would take it in a heart beat. If that happened, I would start a thread with questions, deal with the critical comments, and use the information provide to the best of my ability.

My two cents.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Award Award x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. vespers

vespers Arachnodemon

Kids these days...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. mistertim

mistertim Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Have a ride to the ER handy.

This was a terrible choice for a second tarantula and it sounds like you haven't done any research and aren't worried about needing it. Your sling will probably die because they're apparently super sensitive when young and you don't have much experience at all.

If it manages to survive not only your lack of knowledge and experience but also your "I don't care. YOLO!" attitude then be ready for a VERY fast tarantula that takes absolutely none of your <edit> and will bite you faster than you can say "I'm not scared". That being said, my understanding is that if your enclosure is set up correctly you will pretty much never see it. But even if that's the case, ALWAYS be alert and prepared for absolutely anything when feeding, watering, or doing any spot cleaning. They are shy and reclusive but if startled they can come out of nowhere and be on top of you before you can blink.

Good luck, and learn to be a bit more respectful when people are trying to give you advice. It will help you in life.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.