Help

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Here's my LP setup. Try to mimic it. IMG_20170220_143131306.jpg
Mines a similar size.ake sure to have a water dish, hide, and enough substrate so that there won't be injuries from a fall. No heat mats or lamps either. Overflow the dish once a week, these guys appreciate a little bit of humidity. I feed mine no more than once a week. Overfeeding increase s the chances of fall damage. Also, please don't handle your tarantula, it stresses them out and is only for the keeper.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
'taming it'...!?
I really hope you have since done some research and found out you can't tame Theraphosidae right?
Au contraire... :p
Pinktoes, even elderly ones, can be toilet trained. :troll:

(Before anyone asks/comments, the cage is not going to remain this barren, and the toilet is not permanent. She is getting a new tree house and some leaves, like Skyler has.)

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Pinktoes, even elderly ones, can be toilet trained. :troll:

(Before anyone asks/comments, the cage is not going to remain this barren, and the toilet is not permanent. She is getting a new tree house and some leaves, like Skyler has.)
:rofl: I was just thinking about all the pooping that happens in water dishes & how they're not so different from us...

cold blood

Staff member
She will eat 3/4 large crickets like 3 times a week
That's a very generous feeding schedule. I would suggest 3 crickets every 7-14 days depending on where it is in the molt cycle...earlier I would feed weekly, later as its fattened I would feed every 2 weeks and less per feeding. Since yours is already super plump, I would just offer one cricket at a time every 10 days or so until it refuses or starts looking obese (or pre-molt).

Eventually it will fill up and refuse food as it waits for a new exoskeleton to form. Occasionally some big eaters will just eat and eat, so its important to note that there comes a point where a t is plenty fat enough to get through the next molt and no longer requires more food, so to prevent obesity, its best to just halt the feedings in these rare cases.

Obesity causes problems, most obvious is that it makes any falls, even short ones, potentially dangerous, and can cause dragging abdomen. Less obvious is that the t will come through the next molt unnaturally fat, so it will not only be hungry from having molted, but already plump, thus setting the t up for another cycle of obesity. Its hard for people to just not feed a t that wants to eat in an attempt to re-gain a normal physique.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
It's kinda funny before I got my first tee I was deathly afraid of tarantulas I was in prison in Arizona and I guess it was mating season and I found one out in the yard I took it home and kept it in a peanut butter jar taming it and having a lot of fun with it I was really amazing to see how much personality that they actually have so yes I could say you could say that it was a therapy spider
Thanks for the reply. I think there's someone on this board who uses peanut butter jars for avic rights? An I imagining that? Anyway- yeah some Ts might tolerate humans but they don't really get tame. They aren't trainable. I think they can be fascinating to learn about and great therapy animals though!

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I have a salmon pink bird eating tarantula and she's new to me I just changed out the peat moss in her terrarium and now she's stuck on the glass and she doesn't want to walk on it it's coconut husk and potting soil mix what do I do
when you said potting soil did you mean topsoil or actual potting soil mix because the mix could contain harmful fertilizers.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
this is what I redid her terrarium with
Ive never herd of that brand in particular but from the looks of it you should be rather safe. do you have a picture of the back of the package just to make sure because that's where you would see a list of any additives?.. Also that stuff looks just like most other generic cocoa fiber brands out there so just to be safe you can simply use similar products found in most pet stores that are indeed pet safe.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This may be the first time someone mentions tarantula taming and @Chris LXXIX doesn't make some cringeworthy Peanut joke
Pfff... hadn't the same strenght, intensity and utmost passion of the story about your encounter with Peanut. Like comparing a book written by a, dunno, anonymous Czech Republic or Poland author that committed suicide in his 20 with a classic u_u

'Peanut' is like a class A red Italian wine, requires a slowly, delicate sip for being full enjoyed.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Pfff... hadn't the same strenght, intensity and utmost passion of the story about your encounter with Peanut. Like comparing a book written by a, dunno, anonymous Czech Republic or Poland author that committed suicide in his 20 with a classic u_u
My favorite thing about you is that you sound like you're high in literally everything you post

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What, specifically, makes you think that? Looks fine to me.
actually reading through it all now, it doesnt say anything bad. ive read to avoid things that say organic but thats about it.
regardless, its easy to set up a cricket test and youre silly if you dont when trying out new brands.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Many garden centers sell 100% coco coir to amend poor soil conditions. Labels clearly show nothing but coconut husk as ingredients and guess what the price is cheaper than "Pet Store" prices. You can also but the compressed bricks for dirt cheap ;)