Help!

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
My thai millipede is not moving much, and his legs and antennae are moving in a twitchy fashion. His reflexes are not good at all, and his legs aren't gripping to anything. Is he dying???

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
My thai millipede is not moving much, and his legs and antennae are moving in a twitchy fashion. His reflexes are not good at all, and his legs aren't gripping to anything. Is he dying???
Its possible that he/she is dying but it could also be a molt!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Possible molt as most of them get lazy during that time/sit around and don't eat etc, hopefully not dying though can't be sure.

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
I hope he is molting, but he is not underground or curled up. I just checked him, and he is still moving, but randomly, slowly, and twitchy. He hasn't been able to turn his body or move himself forwards. I am afraid that the poor thing is struggling to live.

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
My millipede stopped the last of his leg movements last night. He was leaking a tiny amount of an orange fluid. There has always been a gap in his sixth segment from the head. I thought this was because he was a male. However, the gap has become a hole. There is a gap in the bottom of his exoskeleton that shows ribbing of some sort underneath. I am 98 percent sure this is new. Is it because of a molt? I fear the worst, such as predators or parasites.

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
Whatever has ailed my thai has befallen my agb. She is clammy, is secreting orange fluid, and is not moving. Her legs are curled tightly and her antennae are flattened back near the head, much like my thai rainbow pede. The only difference is that she is lacking the same hole in her chest. Here is a picture, if anyone has any ideas. Sorry for the blur.
photo (3).jpg

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Sorry darkfyre that pic doesn't help, but what you described sounds like its been eaten at by food item's or possible snagged on something in your setup??

Have you a pic of your setup? or least description of how you made the setup?.. I ask cause it could be the environmental problem.

Could also be they way you received the pede.

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
Everything in my setup was from bugs in cyberspace, which is a site I very much trust to provide a safe habitat for pedes. The thai was from the same site, and the agb was from vwr, whom I also trust. Since 2 pedes are ailing, I highly doubt they snagged on something. I'll try and get a better picture, but the black dot is the hole in the exoskeleton which I cannot account for as of yet.

Leonie

Arachnopeon
I'm feeling sorry for you and your pedes. Did you seperate them yet? Could it be that the've eaten something toxic? Does the one with the hole smell? Could it be that the've been infected with a worm or something?

I hope you find out what it is and don't lose both.

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
I havent separated them, as I only have one enclosure, which is a bit small for the AGB as it is. Surprisingly, my thai doesn't smell but the agb does. I doubt they ate something toxic is my enclosure is very controlled and safe. They didn't dry out because I just added water before they died, and they feel soft and clammy, not dry. tiny predatory bugs might have crawled in, but I'm not sure (hope not)

Leonie

Arachnopeon
Whatever is it, it's probably contagious. Sucks so much.. Were those your only millipedes?

SDCPs

Arachnolord
First thing I would do is transfer to another setup. But it sure sounds like your pedes are gonners :-(

---------- Post added 04-16-2015 at 07:27 PM ----------

May I suggest getting a big colony of FL ivories as replacements? These aren't super hardy so once you have them thriving then nearly every other pede will thrive for you. They're cheap and its nice to have a lot of pedes except just 2

CrawlinChaos

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry for your loss. It always sucks to lose a pede, especially an AGB. I recently had a couple of my favorite pedes die for apparently no reason, so I understand how you feel. My suggestion is your get a few Narceus gordanus. I've had them longer than almost any of my other millipedes and they've done the best for me by far. They have had no signs of disease, great appetites, grow to a good size and have reproduced spectacularly. Plus, they are relatively cheap, so if something does happen, you can try again.