Help!!!!!!!

princess_lover

Arachnopeon
So two weeks ago I got myself a chilean rose tarantula and shes been acting weird. I cannot have my spider at the place i live so i am moving to a place i can have her. So shes at my parents. Well she has built something... and its scary.. it looks like a clump of dirt but when i go to touch it its sort of jiggly and when i poked it with a pen she jumped on it and went into defense mode.. does anyone know what the hell it is? and if its babies or something what should i do?????
could she have been pregnant when i bought her????? ekkk :eek:

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
there is a possibility she was gravid and could very well be a sac i'd leave it with the mother then pull it on the 30th or so day,since most adult g.rosea's are wc that is a very good possibility.

princess_lover

Arachnopeon
i really don't know if she was or not.. i don't think she was i got her from a reptile show and the guy was telling me about the other ones he had so i am sure she was bred in captivity, i am scared.... i can't handle baby spiders i am stressed enough.... blah

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
well then,if it was captive bred he must of had her for a LONG time considering they are Very SLOW growers.I dont know what to tell you either get in contact with your dealer or take a pic so all of us here can see if it is a sac or not,just my 2 cents.

princess_lover

Arachnopeon
welll thanks very much
if anyone knows anything more please help me...
she hasn't left the spot in like two days...
i just want to know how long it will take for them to hatch..if they are babies.. and if we take the sack out of there will she hate me... or have a complex for the rest of her life or something...

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think what you're seeing is an eggsac, especially if she's not holding it. When tarantulas make eggsacs, they hold them and rotate them for the duration of the incubation. Very seldom will a mother tarantula put down an eggsac.
What I think you are seeing is actually the result of a little house cleaning on the part of your tarantula. When tarantulas eat, they usually lay down a small layer of webbing on the substrate (during the feeding waltz). Occassionaly they will ball up this webbing and move it to the side. Since it has been on the substrate it is mixed with it and appears like a bundle of dirt. It is squishy (can't find a better word) but not wet. I also suspect your tarantula wasn't responding to the dirt being touched but was actually exhibiting a feeding response to a vibration/movement in her general vicinity.
Is she still eating? That would also be a sign that the thing you are seeing is not an eggsac. Females will not eat/drink while they have sacs.
If you have pics, it would be great to confirm this, but if not, I'm sure you can find several threads on this forum showing tarantulas with eggsacs. Godd luck!
Ralph

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
princess_lover said:
welll thanks very much
if anyone knows anything more please help me...
she hasn't left the spot in like two days...
i just want to know how long it will take for them to hatch..if they are babies.. and if we take the sack out of there will she hate me... or have a complex for the rest of her life or something...
It sounds like an eggsac to me. Wild-caught rosehairs often make them this time of year. Depending on whether she mated in the wild, it may or may not be fertile.

About 40 days is typical for incubation, but temperature has a lot to do with it and so does species. Generally speaking, warmer temps=faster results (I shoot for about 80 degrees F myself). It's also necessary to keep the eggsac from drying out, as this will ruin it very quickly. You don't want it soggy in there or any moisture applied directly to the eggsac itself; the system that has worked best for me is a slightly moist substrate combined with a large water dish and a slightly restricted ventilation. You also need to minimize disturbances in and around the tarantula's vivarium (like poking the eggsac with a pencil!) as this may cause her to eat it

If you don't already have it, I suggest you get The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz and Schultz and study the section on incubating eggsacs. The archives on this site have much good information on this subject also.

Feeding tarantulas who are incubating eggsacs is a controversial subject. Some people do, claiming the females are less likely to eat their eggsacs if fed. Some people think it's better not to feed the females as the disturbance involved may actually cause the female to eat the eggsac. I am of the latter opinion myself)

I don't have any pictures of a G. rosea with an eggsac, but here's a related species (Grammastola pulchra) with an eggsac. You can see if your tarantula's scary creation resembles this one!

Joy

Last edited: