Help with whip scorpion

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
I notice some white bugs which look to be mites maybe, around my whip scorpion they aren’t on him they are just around the enclosure and very little of them. Are these beneficial ones or something else or something to be concern about.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They could be mites or they could be springtails. It's hard to say without photos or some description of the potential pests. Springtails will jump around when disturbed and tend to be more oval in shape, whereas mites (at least the common ones in enclosures) are round or teardrop shaped and don't jump when disturbed.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Yea a mixture of both but I see more springtails then the mites. What should I do is it okay to have them there or get rid of them, the mites.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like grain mites. Not harmful but in large numbers very unsightly.

Clean up any refuse and food remains.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Sounds like grain mites. Not harmful but in large numbers very unsightly.

Clean up any refuse and food remains.
The soil isn’t really moist and there’s like very little of them and there’s no food there at all in the enclosure.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Grain mites are always around. Even a bit of moisture could draw them, which is real fun when you have species like P. imperator in your collection that needs moist substrate.

In small numbers grain mites are not a threat. Just a bit annoying to see if you're OCD like I am.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Grain mites are always around. Even a bit of moisture could draw them, which is real fun when you have species like P. imperator in your collection that needs moist substrate.

In small numbers grain mites are not a threat. Just a bit annoying to see if you're OCD like I am.
Yea I am too they do kinda bother me but since there’s very little it's okay for now, so if I start seeing more all I need to do is dump the soil and but new soil and then it’s done right?

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
And even in large numbers they aren’t harmful just unslightly like you said right? And I don’t have to do anything about them right now correct?

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Wow thanks again that makes feel a lot better, my whip scorpion is still small and I was afraid those mites might cause problems but since they are okay and harmless I feel a lot better about that and I know what to do if they are getting to over populated thanks again that helps a lot. But from reading that form should I get spring tails then?
I would get the springtails since they are not as annoying as mites and Amblypygid need high humidity.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Sorry I’m not good with the Latin names I just know them by the names they give them. I think it’s uropygids idk if that’s the right or correct name for it I’ll show you a picture but I don’t think I got the giant version of the vingaroon.

Attachments

The Seraph

Arachnolord
They don't mind damp substrate to burrow in. Most of the time humidity is irrelevant when talking about inverts, though there are many exceptions such as mantids, Amblypygid and some others.