Help With Tarantula ID.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, need some help with identifying this species. i picked her up last year at the Tuscon Reptile Show, and it was labeled as either T or P Sp Panama. the label had been kind of rubbed off a bit and the assistant at the stall said he believed it was originally a T. Sp Panama as they had sold others. it was their last one on the last day of the Expo so he sold it to me relatively cheap.

cut to a year later now, this guy has molted once, and is growing extremely slowly. and looks absolutely nothing like any Sp. Panama species I've seen pictures of or seen first hand. i have had him in a fairly basic Terrestrial set up. Semi-deep sub, hide, water dish for humidity and pretty basic feeding and he seems to be doing fine. eats regularly, molted great, and overall has been just a chill T.

basicly just trying to figure out what he is. i KNOW he's not a true T. Sp Panama as i recently purchased one from a reputable breeder and this guy looks NOTHING like it. i know the pictures are not the best but here are the best i could get. he is a bit skittish so its hard to get clear pictures when he's out in the open.
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 4.18.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 4.34.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 4.18.45 PM.png

He's about ~1" DLS
when looking at him, he's a Grey color with like a very light reddish tint around his Carapace (coxa / trochanter)
on his legs, all his Femurs are the dark grey, while the rest of the entire leg is the same reddish tint for the front facing legs, the back legs seem to be a Uniform Dark grey all the way down all segments(the light makes the back legs look light but they are the same dark grey)

ill try to get better pictures with a actual Camera and not a Potato phone camera tonight if She will come out if it will help more, but if anybody knows any T slings that look like this, or could possibly help ID, any input at all would be great!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
You really wont know for sure, or even close till it gets adult colors. Even then ID by pictures isn't full proof. You can start here They keep a good gallery on the odd stuff that comes in http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/info_en.php?page=gallery#Theraphosinae Take a look at T. sp Costa Rica 2 adult female. Reason I say this is I have a sling of this species that looks similar to yours. Just speculation of course without taxonomic ID. Mine looked more like yours before last molt as its starting to show adult colors ever so slightly. Very slow grower started out about 1/8-1/4"

My sling T. sp "Costa Rica" 2
2017-03-17 17.28.59.jpg 2017-03-17 17.29.41.jpg

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
You really wont know for sure, or even close till it gets adult colors. Even then ID by pictures isn't full proof. You can start here They keep a good gallery on the odd stuff that comes in http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/info_en.php?page=gallery#Theraphosinae Take a look at T. sp Costa Rica 2 adult female. Reason I say this is I have a sling of this species that looks similar to yours. Just speculation of course without taxonomic ID. Mine looked more like yours before last molt as its starting to show adult colors ever so slightly. Very slow grower started out about 1/8-1/4"

My sling T. sp "Costa Rica" 2
View attachment 240878 View attachment 240879

awesome! thank you very much!

and ya i know theres not 100% way to truly ID at his size, especially with the information i have.
but just trying to get a rough id of what he could be, more for care reasons. I'm assuming he's Terrestrial based on the information i have, but want to make sure he's not possibly an arboreal or anything like that.

he does resemble them a bit so ill start there and see where i can get. normally it wouldn't be an issue as i would just wait for him to get bigger, but he's molted twice since i got him (one the day after i got him home and rehoused him) and once this past month as well. He literally has not grown at all it seems.

i don't plan to breed him until i can 100% verify his species of course but until then, hopefully he starts growing a little faster.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
@sdsnybny My first thoughts exactly...

I bet the label was right... just missing the ever important "2" after the label. As you can see from the link Steve provided T. sp. Panama 2 is quite identical to T. sp. Costa Rica 2. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same species, as spiders are not bound by human territorial lines. Especially, when concerning neighboring countries.