Help with Species?

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it looks like a very fat or very gravid desert hairy to me.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This kinda resembles what was sold too me as a Egytptian sand scorpion. When they had 3 of them at the pet store they also had there bodies in the sand and there tails sticking in the air about halfway down. When I posted pics people said mine was probably a color morph of scorpio maurus.

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Species?

I have had some of the Israeli gold types before and this one is different. It isn't a particularly avid eater, but is quite the rotund piece. I have an Egyptian sand and Egyptian lines scorp and they are also different for this one. I am thinking it is a local Mohave desert special.
Kelly

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definately not a Hadrurus spp. because of the keels on the chela,,,,,,Hmmmm.
Mat

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Looks to be Paruroctonus to me. I'm not even going to try to make an educated species guess at this time of night. Someone can head over to the scorpion files and see what they can figure out. G'night.

Cheers,
Dave

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Species?

Thanks for the input so far. I looked through the files and couldn't find this one, but it is probably there. The previous owner said it was labeled 'Desert Scorpion' on the deli cup. Pretty sad. She, I think, is about 1 3/4" long and is quite docile. It does have that interesting posture of either pushing it's head into the sand and raising it's hind parts into the air, or standing on all it's tip-toes and angling her head towards the ground. I haven't seen this behavior with any other types save for the Israeli gold scorpion, as my girlfriend has been so kind to remind me. The skin on her sides seems stretched out so thin that I can see through it a bit. I am thinking she is going to pop real soon, so I am doing the crickets one by one.
Kelly

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Its definitely some type of scorp from the Vaejovid family like Dave suggested...possibly a Paruroctonus boreus...the metasoma is on the thin side so I don't believe it is of the Vaejovis sp. ...which is why I also suggest Paruroctonus sp. Another reason I think it is Paruroctonus sp. rather than Vaejovis sp. is due to the comment chau0046 made...the keels are not as distinct on most Vaejovis as they are in Paruroctonus.

The label Fausta mentioned as 'Desert Scorpion' unfortunately is used at one time or another to describe just about every species in the SW US.

Your scorp looks VERY gravid by the way. :D

John
];')