Help with Opistophthalmus Glabifrons

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

I need some help. I have a Shiny Burrowing Scorpion. There seems to be some cunfusion on the internet about the correct name for this species. Most sites say its glabifrons but some sites say its wahlbergi. But I think its glabifrons.

Anyway, he has stopped eating for me, and doesn't seem to be even interested in crickets. He hasn't eaten in some time now. I am quite concerened about him, because last year I had a Pandinus imperator that stopped eating, I tried everything but eventually he died. I think it may have been down to old age because he was a huge scorp.

However I dont think this scorp is really that old.

My room is quite cold, and during the day the temperture (at this time of year) in the tank usually sits around 77 degrees F/25 degrees C. I keep my heating bulb on all day and turn it off overnight. I have provided him with a bowl of water. I dont know the humidity as I do not have anything to measure humidity, but I do spray usually once every week or two. Maybe this scorp doesn't require misting or something as it is a desert species.

Can anyone give me some advise, it must be the conditions in my tank. I certainly dont want to lose another scorpion like my last one.

Many thanks

David Craig
BelfastScorpion

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hi,
maybe its slowing down due to the cold, though it shouldnt be too affected by 25C

maybe it just isnt hungry, maybe it will eat when spring gets closer

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks G. Carnell.

Does anyone else know about this aswell?

Thanks

David Craig
BelfastScorpion

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This species doesn't seem to eat alot as a rule, I found O.glabifrons would only eat every couple of weeks as a rule. I think your also keeping it too cold which might explain its slower metabolism, its an african species and should be kept closer to 30C even during the winter.

Last edited: