Help with my M. balfouri communal

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've thought about introducing them into a larger setup, but at this point, I don't want 2 to become 1, esp because I don't know the gender. I have a funny feeling I have 1.1.
I can understand that. I'm thinking about merging my communal setups on the next rehousing. If I do I'll let you know how it goes.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can understand that. I'm thinking about merging my communal setups on the next rehousing. If I do I'll let you know how it goes.
Just do it slowly when you do. I had an established communal of three individuals, and I went to add another one that was actually a sacmate. They were once housed together, but hadn't been together in months. The new addition scurried in front of the burrow, and there was a bit of aggression from another individual. The new one backed off and tapped the ground, and the established one responded the same. After tapping each other's legs for a moment, they both went into the burrow together.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Just do it slowly when you do. I had an established communal of three individuals, and I went to add another one that was actually a sacmate. They were once housed together, but hadn't been together in months. The new addition scurried in front of the burrow, and there was a bit of aggression from another individual. The new one backed off and tapped the ground, and the established one responded the same. After tapping each other's legs for a moment, they both went into the burrow together.
Thanks for the info man. Both communal setups will be merged into a a newly made enclosure. So none of them will have an established home. I'm hoping that will let them mix it up and not have a stake in defending their turf.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the info man. Both communal setups will be merged into a a newly made enclosure. So none of them will have an established home. I'm hoping that will let them mix it up and not have a stake in defending their turf.
I think that's the critical point, no animals have established turf. But as we all know, that doesn't always prevent a fight.

cold blood

Staff member
None of mine have ever threat posed regardless of size. Not even when I rehoused them.
It looks like this:

Although to be honest, even though its kept solo, Its been one to bolt to its hide, but otherwise, a really easy going OW...not much trouble at all....but theyre certainly capable of some serious speed bursts.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It looks like this:

Although to be honest, even though its kept solo, Its been one to bolt to its hide, but otherwise, a really easy going OW...not much trouble at all....but they're certainly capable of some serious speed bursts.
Huh, so that's what it looks like. :D

Yeah, they seem pretty laid back when compared to other baboons and other OWs in general. It never makes me any less careful when working with them though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It looks like this:

Although to be honest, even though its kept solo, Its been one to bolt to its hide, but otherwise, a really easy going OW...not much trouble at all....but theyre certainly capable of some serious speed bursts.
Mine went up on 2 legs a day ago with a cricket in its mouth. They get a little size and poof ready to take on the world, impressive.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the whole time keeping balfouri I've only received a threat posture from the AF female when trying to remove some slings. I also received a good slap to the tongs for that. And recently a juvie got quite put out when I rehoused it to a new enclosure. I got quite the impressive threat posture from the little bugger. I've been very lucky my balfouri have been so easy going for me. It's still a baboon, and can put on some serious speed and be very defensive if necessary. @EulersK has seen this weird calming effect I have on Ts. Lol

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I took out that MM last night to prep for shipping him off and he just walked right on up in the catch cup. No threats or hisses nothing. I had him out for quite a while (15 min or so) and even with me bothering him (taking photos) he didn't threat pose. He did get flighty a few times though. In the end he was pretty easy to work with.

In direct light from the softbox he was almost all blue looking. I had to turn it off of him to get the browns to show up better.
Check out how much difference these two photos have from different angles. Both were ran through the same post process.

Head On: He looks almost all blue

Side Shot: Some of the browns show up especially the brown hairs on his abdomen.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He's beautiful @Trenor. How big did he mature at. All the kids from my communal are 3 1/2 - 4 inches. My last two mature males I got were about 3 1/2.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
He can reach across the top of a deli cup with paper in it so I'd say around 4". I was pleased at how well he did.

boina

Lady of the mites
So I finally decided I was going to separate the runt and keep it single because I just kept worrying. I thought it would be better for my nerves, if not the spider. Of course I had to remove the webbing and then dig them out - basically destroy their nest and what I found was this:

IMG_4139a.jpg

The runt (on the right) isn't all that much smaller than the others and it's nice and fat. So I simply put them all back, gave them a few extra sticks as a form of saying sorry, and felt like an utter idiot.:confused::embarrassed:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It never hurts to check though. I did note times where one of mine would seem to temporarily out pace the others but they all seemed to catch up by the next molt cycle.

Two of mine have been underground for a week or two likely molting or recovering from molting but I'd like to see them just to make me feel better. :D