Help with Mexican Red Knee enclosure

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
If you're worried that he might not find his dish, you could put a second dish at the bottom of the log closer to where he is (assuming he can get out there), but I wouldn't disturb him by breaking the seal.
He can, he made a little chamber at the very bottom of the log, the only way I could get a water dish there is if I sit down from the top which would still disturb him

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
He can, he made a little chamber at the very bottom of the log, the only way I could get a water dish there is if I sit down from the top which would still disturb him
Dont worry about it. If he needs water, he'll come out and get it. Instinct and all that. Disturbing a t when it is about to molt could cause it to have a bad molt, which usually means death. Much better off trusting him to know when he needs it. Tarantulas seal themselves off all the time, sometimes for months, with no interference and come out just fine.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Dont worry about it. If he needs water, he'll come out and get it. Instinct and all that. Disturbing a t when it is about to molt could cause it to have a bad molt, which usually means death. Much better off trusting him to know when he needs it. Tarantulas seal themselves off all the time, sometimes for months, with no interference and come out just fine.
I left him undisturbed this morning, I would of stressed him out by ruining the little room he dug for himself, but after checking his abdomen which is perfectly healthy it is still really light so I don't think he is quite ready to molt just yet.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I left him undisturbed this morning, I would of stressed him out by ruining the little room he dug for himself, but after checking his abdomen which is perfectly healthy it is still really light so I don't think he is quite ready to molt just yet.
Sometimes they seal off for no reason whatsoever. Just means they wanna be left alone. When you stay at a hotel and put the "do not disturb" sign on the knob, it probably means you dont want the maids coming in throwin water on ya, ya know what i mean? Same thing, except this particular hotel-guest has fangs, venom, and is very much faster than you. He'll come out when he needs/wants to. He knows. Even if we dont. Trust him until the abdomen starts to shrivel, though i doubt it will.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Sometimes they seal off for no reason whatsoever. Just means they wanna be left alone. When you stay at a hotel and put the "do not disturb" sign on the knob, it probably means you dont want the maids coming in throwin water on ya, ya know what i mean? Same thing, except this particular hotel-guest has fangs, venom, and is very much faster than you. He'll come out when he needs/wants to. He knows. Even if we dont. Trust him until the abdomen starts to shrivel, though i doubt it will.
No, you're correct, he seems perfectly happy to be left at the bottom of the enclosure I will check to see if his abdomen is still healthy every now and again, it has been pretty stressful for him considering I had to completely change his enclosure around.
But now I really want to buy another Tarantula...

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
That's why we have more than one, so there's always something to observe.
True, I understand now why people say it is an addictive hobby, Just not sure what to get... Think I will stick to the Brachypelma family

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
This will be my last noob question, he is still at the bottom of the log with his hide blocked off I am 70% sure he is premolt, the water source is at the top of his hide and I'm positive he hasn't been out since everything is undisturbed, just wondering how is getting water if he is at all he isn't shown any signs of dehydration and I can't put a water source down there without breaking into the hide or disturbing him is it still best to leave him or try and get a small bottle cap of water in there?
There's no need to worry about water for the spider, he'll find it no problem if he wants a drink, leave him in peace is the best approach, let him do what tarantulas do, sometimes overthinking can lead to more worry than necessary, your T will be fine, nothing to worry about there,
enjoy your new 8 legged wonder, they're awesome....

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
There's no need to worry about water for the spider, he'll find it no problem if he wants a drink, leave him in peace is the best approach, let him do what tarantulas do, sometimes overthinking can lead to more worry than necessary, your T will be fine, nothing to worry about there,
enjoy your new 8 legged wonder, they're awesome....
No I won't worry about him, he was pretty skittish when I first got him ran straight into the hide (Incredibly fast) I suspect after seeing how light his abdomen is he's just seeking some time by himself undisturbed. They really are amazing creatures and I will definitely be getting more soon.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you, I watched this the other day at work... I definitely know which ones Wouldn't keep despite their stunning colours (OBT, Blue Colbalt etc...)
Those colours always attract new people in the beginning. I think you'll find that once you're in the hobby a bit longer, there are more intriguing and beautiful species than you could ever imagine :)
With over 800 species, there are enough choices to suit everone :)

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Those colours always attract new people in the beginning. I think you'll find that once you're in the hobby a bit longer, there are more intriguing and beautiful species than you could ever imagine :)
With over 800 species, there are enough choices to suit everone :)
A quick search on them shown me how aggressive they are, I heard the OBT bite is incredibly painful also. I think I've chosen my next T Brachypelma emilia