Help with Jumping Spider

Childsm97

Arachnopeon
Hi all!
I'm new to the world of spiders and was wondering if you could help me identify what type of jumping spider I caught at work. Also some tips for care, etc. I think the spider is Phidippus regius.

Attachments

Veigar

Arachnopeon
Ah, I'm not well versed in the jumpers unfortunately! However, I've kept spiders as pets for years now (I caught black widows when I was like, 8 or so?)

I'm not sure how Jumpers like their food or if they spin webs (I don't think they do) but I've observed them in the wild on bushes and jumping on other flying insects. To feed him/her, you'd probably just want to give it a fly that's about the same size as the abdomen. Take my advice with a grain of salt since as I said, jumpers aren't my forte. But the norm for most critters is feeding them things that are roughly the same size as their abdomen.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Tall setup with lots of space don't really worry about humidity,but keep it sensible the occasional spray wouldn't hurt
Sticks and decor is good they are extremely intelligent and decor keeps them entertained you can also occasionally handle them if you're feeling brave(they're quite fast)
Feed them flys crickets,pretty much anything around half their size,they'll happily catch bigger and smaller but half is best

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Definitely could be P. regius considering your location.

For care, lightly mist the enclosure every once in awhile. This isn’t to keep up “humidity” or anything, this is solely for the purpose of give the jumping spider a drink. I’ve heard that they can drown in water dishes, I’m not exactly sure if that’s true though. I feed mine dubia nymphs a few times a week. Provide lots of places for your jumping spider to jump to. It also doesn’t hurt to add fake foliage, mine especially loves the fake leaves I added. She makes little “web socks” in between the leaves. Also, sometimes they’ll make webs in the very top corner. If you want, you could situate the enclosure to where the lid is on the bottom so you don’t destroy the webbing in the top corners. That’s what I did at least.

It should be noted that I am newish to keeping jumping spiders, so my methods may or may not be correct. Congratulations on your new addition!

Joldenra

Arachnopeon
Jumping spiders really like a good hunt giving them small animals around half their size preferably fed with some sort of vitamin gelatin you can find at pets Mart for cheap would be the best. Feeding it flies and crickets would be perfect. Jumping spiders also love a spacious environment. U could spray their cage with a little spray bottle 1nce every week or two but don't overdo it. Keep in mind if u found him wild and older you probably won't be able to hold him as he will be accustomed to the ruthlessness of nature. And finnaly have fun!!!

Attachments

Loops117

Arachnopeon
Looks like a female P.regius to me.
Give her space to jump around and a light misting every so often. Mine have access to heat, which causes water droplets to build up on occasion. Has never given me an issue and mine seem to be very happy and growing fast. Prolly my favorite species of jumpers as they've always been the most interested species i've owned.

Sean Magbanua

Arachnopeon
You can add a layer of petroleum jelly around where the container opens. This way they wont be able to climb and make their resting nest around the top so you wont be destroying the nest every time you open it. If you are hesitant that the jumper can fall and die, they'll be fine since they always deploy a safety string behind them.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
You can add a layer of petroleum jelly around where the container opens. This way they wont be able to climb and make their resting nest around the top so you wont be destroying the nest every time you open it. If you are hesitant that the jumper can fall and die, they'll be fine since they always deploy a safety string behind them.
I haven't thought of this for jumping spiders. Do you add the jelly to the lid itself too to prevent them from jumping past the jelly onto the lid? It's a cool idea.

I use petroleum jelly to keep ants out of my T's enclosure. Works like a charm;).

Also some tips for care, etc.
I find keeping my jumping spiders (P. audax) in a dry environment is best. I actually just give my jumpers a bead of water every once in a while. You could put the bead of water in a water dish (a bottle cap). It'll probably need more water more often where you're at since you live in a warmer climate. I myself would even experiment with a little more water in the dish, keeping it shallow and watching the spider to make sure there's no problem. I also use distilled water for most of my spiders. That's optional though.

Flies are great for these guys! I saw a little wild sling took down what looked like a sugar ant though today. It was a very tiny sling!

Ventilation helps keep the humidity down if there's a water dish in the enclosure. If you're using a plastic container, you could take a thumbtack and just poke holes all over it. Another option is to cut a big hole and then tape a mesh around its edges to make your own windows.

Good luck with your new buddy!

Last edited: