Help With Habronattus pyrrithrix (Jumping Spider) Slings

Sean Magbanua

Arachnopeon
I need all the information I could get. My Habronattus pyrrithrix (just caught 2 days ago) started laying her eggs. I need any information I could get about how to take care of the eggs/spiderlings. Like what can they eat. When should I separate them from the mother and why. When will they hatch. etc. Thanks in advance.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum! Leave the eggs with mom and she'll take care of them until they hatch. When they do hatch, you'll want to separate them fairly quickly, otherwise they'll start eating each other. Alternatively, you can let them cannibalize for a bit to weed out the smaller/weaker individuals. Once separated, feed them super tiny prey, springtails/bark lice/maybe fruit flies.

Sean Magbanua

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the forum! Leave the eggs with mom and she'll take care of them until they hatch. When they do hatch, you'll want to separate them fairly quickly, otherwise they'll start eating each other. Alternatively, you can let them cannibalize for a bit to weed out the smaller/weaker individuals. Once separated, feed them super tiny prey, springtails/bark lice/maybe fruit flies.
Thank you very much I have one more question, can they eat pinhead crickets?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you very much I have one more question, can they eat pinhead crickets?
Those might be too big, but it's definitely worth a shot! I don't necessarily know how big the newborns will be, I just know most Habronattus are small.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I like to mush up a wax worm and crush its head and poke lil holes for hemolymph to ooze out and let the slings know it's food. that's how i keep my phidippus slings alive without fruitflies

Sean Magbanua

Arachnopeon
I like to mush up a wax worm and crush its head and poke lil holes for hemolymph to ooze out and let the slings know it's food. that's how i keep my phidippus slings alive without fruitflies
You think I could do the same to pill bugs or super worms? Plus I noticed today one of my slings today looks dead and curled up most of her legs but one is kinda hanging out; I tried moving her and she made some movement. Should I be worried or can she just be molting. Im kind of worried since she didnt make a molting chamber...

Sean Magbanua

Arachnopeon
I need help. So I introduced my male habronattus jumping spider to another male habronattus sling(stupid i know), and right as i put the sling in the container the adult attacked the sling. After the fight I noticed the sling held on to the adult's chest kind of like a parasite type of thing. The adult doesn't seem to be actually eating the sling as he still jumps and walks around while the sling is attached to him.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
After the fight I noticed the sling held on to the adult's chest kind of like a parasite type of thing. The adult doesn't seem to be actually eating the sling as he still jumps and walks around while the sling is attached to him.
Pictures?

Sean Magbanua

Arachnopeon
Pictures?
UPDATE: As i try taking a picture of them, i accidentally dropped the little vial I had them in and the pair separated. It looked like the sling died and the adult just kept him around. Right after they separated the adult jumped for the tiny guy and had him around his mouth. Very strange behavior. Im gonna send the pics right now.

The brown looking thing is the sling

Different angles

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
UPDATE: As i try taking a picture of them, i accidentally dropped the little vial I had them in and the pair separated. It looked like the sling died and the adult just kept him around. Right after they separated the adult jumped for the tiny guy and had him around his mouth.
The adult was probably carrying it around, feeding on it.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
You think I could do the same to pill bugs or super worms? Plus I noticed today one of my slings today looks dead and curled up most of her legs but one is kinda hanging out; I tried moving her and she made some movement. Should I be worried or can she just be molting. Im kind of worried since she didnt make a molting chamber...
You should use a very fine mister to give them water. something that doesnt leave large droplets