Help with Gravid Emp.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I need a little help/reasurance with my female Emp. I am sure she is Gravid. I have had her in with an adult male for some 2-3 months, as soon as i placed them in together they began the mateing ritual, that i split up thinking it was a fight (novice). Since then she has been progresively puting waight on, and as mentioned in a previous thread, burrowing, and geting agressive towards the male. I have now removed the male, and she is completely happy with her enviroment, with an extensive tunel system. I have not fed ither since 24 Dec to see if she was just fat or Gravid, the male is loosing some waight, she seem to be the same, Unfortunatly she rearly comes out so i can not get a photo, but will try to catch her. Has anyone got any advise on how to spot gravid Emps, and how big do they get? Also a little help on how to keep the babys should they emerg

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look for plate seperation on the back. The side of her will be really fat. In the right light you can sometimes see the embryos inside her. How long since the mating?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes most of her plates are seperated by 2-3 mm, i cant get close enough to have a good look at her, for any empryo movment, she has become very jumpy.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heya Norm,

Nothing to worry about! She'll basically blow-up and have the shape of a pumpkin with legs! LOL
As Empi stated above, the tergites of the dorsum will become separated and the pleural membrances of the sides of the mesosoma will expand outward from the body and become taut. However, the above may also occur after a good, healthy feeding.
If you suspect that she is gravid, the best thing to do is keep feeding her (a single, appropriately sized prey item every 14-20 days or so) and decrease disturbances as much as possible (still keep-up enclosure maintenance as you don't want mites, phorids and other nasties about infesting mom & the kids). Also, if possible, elevate temps and humidity a bit to keep mom comfortable and to speed-up gestation.
As for the kids - after parturition (birthing) do not become alarmed if mom eats a kid or two, as she'll be hungry and such behavior is not uncommon. However, the majority of emp fems make great moms and i've never removed the kids from any of my fems unless that fem exhibited atypical cannibalistic behavior (very unlikely and again, very rare behavior. When it does occur, it is usually exhibited by young emp fems birthing their first brood) toward her offspring. After parturition, observe the fem but try to keep all disturbances to a minimum to decrease stress levels that may contribute to a higher number of offspring being consumed by mom. However, while the loss of a few kids to cannibalistic behavior is common, not all fems exhibit this behavior. Also, after you observe that the female has birthed her brood, offer her a good size, gut-loaded morsel (cricket, roach or locust). If you offer her a locust or cricket, remove the jumping legs to make the prey easier to capture.
At I2 (first molt), the kids begin to disperse from off mom's back and out from the fem's retreat (just like human children, most of the kids will return to the maternal nest) and begin feeding on their own. At I2 they are already proficient foragers although most will hang about the entrance of mom's burrow and await passing snacks. Feeding is rarely problematic as even at I2, the small but powerful chelae allow the kids to capture quite large prey.
In some instances, mom will capture prey, chew it up and deposit it on the substrate for the kids.
The kids can remain with mom indefinitely or until you decide to separate them. Unless you have one of those very rare fems that will devour all of her young, you really have no worries at all. All the best of luck!

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't want to hijack the thread but I also have a "gravid" emp. I bought her from a pet store with 30+ scorpions in it. She looked very gravid when I bought her. I fed her a dead dubia roach about a 6 weeks ago. She has had a lateralis roach and a dubia nymph in with her and she shows no interest in eating them. She looks massive but I would have thought she would have had her babies by now. Humidity and temps are in the 80+, hot spot in the 90's. Am I just being impatient?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dom,

Aside from abiotic factors that influence gestation periods, the biotic factors of individual females can vary greatly. While typical gestation periods for emps are around 7-10 months, sub-optimal environmental conditions, age of the female and captivity-related stress may prolong the gestation period up to slightly over 11 months.
Also, if she's not feeding, remove any live prey as they can cause a gravid fem unnecessary stress. Remove them and re-offer in 10-14 days. Good luck!

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dom,

Glad to be of some help. Hope your scorp drops loads of "kids" for you! LOL

Luc

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
Dom,

Glad to be of some help. Hope your scorp drops loads of "kids" for you! LOL

Luc
So do I!! It would definitely be very cool to raise a group of babies.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dom,

You'll love it! Nothing better than seeing all your care and efforts terminate in a group of healthy scorplings. Best of luck!

Luc