Help With Friend's Spider I'm Watching

aphono

Arachnobaron
Hi- Just wanted to say it was really nice to see someone who cares about the well-being of a creature. This critter isn't even yours and *you* were the one to give the owner proper information. Awesome.

Also wanted to say, why don't you consider getting one of your own? Seems like you've understood the basics pretty well and a tarantula would have a great home with you. :)

flyer0029

Arachnopeon
Glad to hear you made those changes and that she seems to be acting normal again! :) Great call on not letting your friend use wood chips, no matter how much the pet shop suggested it. Pet shops are notorious for not knowing jack about invertebrates and suggestions things that are actually detrimental. I have to try and convince pet shops to change their setups nearly every time I see a tarantula as they are always kept in improper setups.

I like to collect care sheets from every pet store just to see how wrong they are! The one I just grabbed tells me that rose hair tarantulas are an advanced species, should be kept in a 10-gallon tank with 2" - 3" inches of substrate, needs a warm and cool side, a light/dark cycle, should be provided with a drinking sponge, and should be fed daily to every other day! And that's just scratching the surface. So any information from a pet shop is actually reliably unreliable.

The moisture in the substrate was probably the issue and not so much the mites. Mites are so small that most tarantulas barely even notice them. They just function as tiny clean up crews for enclosures. On the other hand, that species really doesn't like moisture, so that would cause a lot of discomfort for her. I'm glad you were able to pick up on the cues she was giving you that she didn't like her setup. :)
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. This comes at a perfect time actually as I was just peeking in on her which brings me to the latest “what the hell is she doing” in a never ending mystery of the spider. Day before yesterday, she was likterally going around the cage like a maniac, almost looking frantic. The behavior has me alarmed so of course I enlisted my buddies help and quite frankly, given the amount of info I have acquired through this site, I usually respond to his opinions completely opposite of what he is saying and reference one of the more seasoned keepers here. He suggested that maybe she was hunting for food that was not there. 2 weeks ago we attempted one cricket given she has not eaten in nearly 7 months, and my buddy was so proud telling me she ate the cricket he put in. WRONG! I found the cricket, dead and rolled up in substrate in the opposite end of the enclosure. Rolled up in substrate like an area rug holding a body. So it appears that she killed it but she did not have dinner. So, back to current day: the 2 small crickets I put in yesterday are still alive
And she wants NOTHING To do WITH THEM. I am going to attempt to get them out here shortly. The following are my concerns. 1- it’s been 7 months with no food. Her water is changed daily, without fail. 2-When the hell is she going to molt? It’s been 2 years according to my friend. 3- is she ok? Or is somethjng terribly wrong? The pictures I posted of her last are unchanged in my opinion. She does have some substrate on her that is making her look a little ratty to me, but other than the display of her running around the enclosure, she doesn’t move til after dark. Sometimes she does, but usually not. I review her movements by looking closely at the substrate that I smooth ever so
Lightly to do just this. See what the hell she is up to. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
it’s been 7 months with no food. Her water is changed daily, without fail
This is a species known for its very long fasts, especially if they're fed heavily right after a molt. 7 months is a long time for us, but it is most certainly not unusual for this species. Also, you don't need to change the water daily. As long as there isn't substrate floating around in it and it doesn't look nasty it's fine.
When the hell is she going to molt? It’s been 2 years according to my friend
She'll molt when she's ready. This species also grows very slowly and at this size it could still be a little while before she flips.
is she ok? Or is somethjng terribly wrong?
I'd say she's fine. She's clearly active and has access to water.
Also I just saw your pics and yep she definitely has a nice and plump abdomen. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't eat until after her next molt, whenever that is.

flyer0029

Arachnopeon
This is a species known for its very long fasts, especially if they're fed heavily right after a molt. 7 months is a long time for us, but it is most certainly not unusual for this species. Also, you don't need to change the water daily. As long as there isn't substrate floating around in it and it doesn't look nasty it's fine.

She'll molt when she's ready. This species also grows very slowly and at this size it could still be a little while before she flips.

I'd say she's fine. She's clearly active and has access to water.
Also I just saw your pics and yep she definitely has a nice and plump abdomen. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't eat until after her next molt, whenever that is.
Awesome! You totally made me feel better. She has a habit of somehow getting substrate in the water almost daily, so I don’t feel peace unless I change in while she’s under my watch. Thanks
Again!!!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. This comes at a perfect time actually as I was just peeking in on her which brings me to the latest “what the hell is she doing” in a never ending mystery of the spider. Day before yesterday, she was likterally going around the cage like a maniac, almost looking frantic. The behavior has me alarmed so of course I enlisted my buddies help and quite frankly, given the amount of info I have acquired through this site, I usually respond to his opinions completely opposite of what he is saying and reference one of the more seasoned keepers here. He suggested that maybe she was hunting for food that was not there. 2 weeks ago we attempted one cricket given she has not eaten in nearly 7 months, and my buddy was so proud telling me she ate the cricket he put in. WRONG! I found the cricket, dead and rolled up in substrate in the opposite end of the enclosure. Rolled up in substrate like an area rug holding a body. So it appears that she killed it but she did not have dinner. So, back to current day: the 2 small crickets I put in yesterday are still alive
And she wants NOTHING To do WITH THEM. I am going to attempt to get them out here shortly. The following are my concerns. 1- it’s been 7 months with no food. Her water is changed daily, without fail. 2-When the hell is she going to molt? It’s been 2 years according to my friend. 3- is she ok? Or is somethjng terribly wrong? The pictures I posted of her last are unchanged in my opinion. She does have some substrate on her that is making her look a little ratty to me, but other than the display of her running around the enclosure, she doesn’t move til after dark. Sometimes she does, but usually not. I review her movements by looking closely at the substrate that I smooth ever so
Lightly to do just this. See what the hell she is up to. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
2 pics as of now of her
Wow, what a pretty, chunky lady! There's definitely no need to be concerned with her not eating, as she has the reserves to last her practically another 7 months without food! This species has probably one of the slowest (if not the slowest) metabolisms and therefore also growth rates of all tarantulas, so if they fatten up quickly, it may be a long time of fasting before they actually even molt. I frequently hear people mention 4 to 5 year molt cycles for larger females. And I've also heard of chunky ones going on fasts for even over a year! :eek: So she's probably very okay, just taking it easy until she either loses some weight or molts. I definitely don't think anything is wrong, though :)

As for the cage wandering, was she actually running or just a casual stroll? I have tarantulas that will stay in predominantly the same area for weeks, and then it's like they suddenly get hit with wanderlust and decide to explore. If she was just wandering about, not running, I wouldn't think anything of it since you've fixed all the husbandry issues. If she was actually running, is it possible something startled her? A sudden vibration, a breath hitting her, a drop of water touching her when refilling the bowl? These are all common things that could send a tarantula running. The only times any of my tarantulas actually run are if they're running towards food (or water that they mistake for food), or if they get startled and bolt away. If they don't have an established den or just forget where it is (yes, it happens), they might just run about frantically until they decide they're safe

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She has a habit of somehow getting substrate in the water almost daily, so I don’t feel peace unless I change in while she’s under my watch.
Sounds about right. I swear, a good 85% of tarantula husbandry is emptying dirt/poop/garbage out of water bowls. You don't need to worry about dehydration due to a dirty water bowl, she's very plump and tarantulas have no qualms about sucking moisture out of a mouthful of damp soil to get a drink. She won't appreciate daily disruptions anyway. Cleaning and refilling the bowl once or twice a week is fine.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
It’s nice and plump so It’s probably fine. This type I hear can even go years without food on a fasting streak. Just keep giving water and it’ll be fine.