1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP WITH FRIENDS SPIDER IM WATCHING

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by flyer0029, Feb 14, 2018.

1. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    We think my friends spider pictured is about to molt. Has not eaten in weeks. She is standing in corner of aquarium and I don't know if she is in trouble or what. Its freaking me out and I need some assistance, please.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

She's just doing weird spider things. Nothing to worry about. When she goes to molt, she'll flip onto her back and lay motionless for potentially hours, but she'll be fine

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron Active Member

Don't worry. This is not an unusual pose for a tarantula, nor is the fact that this species did not eat for weeks a bad sign. It looks very healthy. Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but is this a mature male? If so, it will not molt again (although in extremely rare cases they might try to do so).

If you look at the pedipalps (the first two legs that are actually no legs but more a sort of feelers) you may be able to see a sort of boxing glove at the end. It should be dark brown and hairless. This is the male reproductive organ (of sorts) and proof that it is a mature male. You will also see hooks on the underside of the first pair of legs (the actual legs). If it is mature, it would also explain why it is walking around so much, if it does.

Either way, don't worry. Nothing is going wrong.

4. thevez2

thevez2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

I don't see it. Palps look normal to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron Active Member

I am not sure because of the light, but I can't exclude the possibility that the pedipalp (under) has a bulbous and that the front leg (upper) has a hook under it. OP should look for himself as it is not quite clear in the picture.
    upload_2018-2-14_22-9-30.png

6. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

Thank you, for the quick response. I still feel like she is trying to tell me something. She just did what is pictured when I returned home. She was sitting up against glass, then when I came in, she turned toward my direction, like she was gonna climb out.

Attached Files:

7. thevez2

thevez2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Sub looks damp...this species hates dampness, and requires dry...as in bone dry. Add moisture to this species and their general response is to climb and to stop eating...often for months.

They are also the champs of fasting, and a 6 month fast is not only not a worry, its perfectly normal and isn't always because of an impending molt.

Also looks like a tall enclosure...which isn't safe(common mistake actually).....post a pic of the entire set up, maybe we can help your friend improve some things......but I really doubt you have any serious, life threatening concerns.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

Spider looks fine. But that enclosure needs a lot more substrate. And dry out the substrate.

10. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

The substrate is REALLY soaked, d/t apparently something happened when trying to get crickets out. It is really, really, wet

• Sad Sad x 2
  11. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

That species despises moist substrate. It needs to dry out. And add more or a fall will hurt or kill her.

ALso remove that light that is up there.

12. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnosquire Active Member

It's not his spider, it's not really up to him to change anything without the friends consent

13. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnoknight Active Member

Then he can ask his friend, besides I don't think his friend would mind him changing the enclosure if it helps his spider

14. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnosquire Active Member

I personally wouldn't mind someone tweaking something for me, but this is a big change meaning the spider will have to come out. There is no guarantee OP won't make a mistake and he would be responsible for an escape or death...

15. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon Active Member

The more of these "my friend" posts I see, the more inclined I am to believe that the majority of them are just people not wanting to own up to their own mistakes . . . could just be my grumpy, cynical nature though.

16. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnoknight Active Member

Well OP is obviously aware that conditions aren't right and yet hasn't changed the enclosure despite being able to, I'm assuming it's because he doesn't want to do anything without asking his friend

17. dord

dord Arachnopeon

Looks like a tarantula doing tarantula things to me, but you should show your friend this thread for the suggestions made above.

• Like Like x 1