1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Friend's Spider I'm Watching

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by flyer0029, Feb 14, 2018.

1. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    We think my friends spider pictured is about to molt. Has not eaten in weeks. She is standing in corner of aquarium and I don't know if she is in trouble or what. Its freaking me out and I need some assistance, please.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

She's just doing weird spider things. Nothing to worry about. When she goes to molt, she'll flip onto her back and lay motionless for potentially hours, but she'll be fine

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron

Don't worry. This is not an unusual pose for a tarantula, nor is the fact that this species did not eat for weeks a bad sign. It looks very healthy. Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but is this a mature male? If so, it will not molt again (although in extremely rare cases they might try to do so).

If you look at the pedipalps (the first two legs that are actually no legs but more a sort of feelers) you may be able to see a sort of boxing glove at the end. It should be dark brown and hairless. This is the male reproductive organ (of sorts) and proof that it is a mature male. You will also see hooks on the underside of the first pair of legs (the actual legs). If it is mature, it would also explain why it is walking around so much, if it does.

Either way, don't worry. Nothing is going wrong.

4. thevez2

thevez2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

I don't see it. Palps look normal to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron

I am not sure because of the light, but I can't exclude the possibility that the pedipalp (under) has a bulbous and that the front leg (upper) has a hook under it. OP should look for himself as it is not quite clear in the picture.
    upload_2018-2-14_22-9-30.png

6. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

Thank you, for the quick response. I still feel like she is trying to tell me something. She just did what is pictured when I returned home. She was sitting up against glass, then when I came in, she turned toward my direction, like she was gonna climb out.

Attached Files:

7. thevez2

thevez2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Sub looks damp...this species hates dampness, and requires dry...as in bone dry. Add moisture to this species and their general response is to climb and to stop eating...often for months.

They are also the champs of fasting, and a 6 month fast is not only not a worry, its perfectly normal and isn't always because of an impending molt.

Also looks like a tall enclosure...which isn't safe(common mistake actually).....post a pic of the entire set up, maybe we can help your friend improve some things......but I really doubt you have any serious, life threatening concerns.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Spider looks fine. But that enclosure needs a lot more substrate. And dry out the substrate.

10. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

The substrate is REALLY soaked, d/t apparently something happened when trying to get crickets out. It is really, really, wet

• Sad Sad x 2
  11. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

That species despises moist substrate. It needs to dry out. And add more or a fall will hurt or kill her.

ALso remove that light that is up there.

12. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

It's not his spider, it's not really up to him to change anything without the friends consent

13. Then he can ask his friend, besides I don't think his friend would mind him changing the enclosure if it helps his spider

14. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

I personally wouldn't mind someone tweaking something for me, but this is a big change meaning the spider will have to come out. There is no guarantee OP won't make a mistake and he would be responsible for an escape or death...

15. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon

The more of these "my friend" posts I see, the more inclined I am to believe that the majority of them are just people not wanting to own up to their own mistakes . . . could just be my grumpy, cynical nature though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Well OP is obviously aware that conditions aren't right and yet hasn't changed the enclosure despite being able to, I'm assuming it's because he doesn't want to do anything without asking his friend

17. dord

dord Arachnopeon

Looks like a tarantula doing tarantula things to me, but you should show your friend this thread for the suggestions made above.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

I've been so busy that I forgot I had signed up here. It is a bit late, but wanted to thank everyone who responded back in February when I had "Fluffy", my buddies T at my place. She does in fact belong to a friend, and I was pretty panicked when I had her at my place. She still has not molted, but sure as heck looks like she is heading in that direction. Her abdomen is slowly getting darker and she looks darker to me in general. I owe this site a lot from a learning standpoint and am really grateful that there are so many knowledgeable people a part of this, as it has really helped me teach my friend how his T should be taken care of properly...The substrate was way too wet and I helped get it the hell out and replaced it with new. When he picked up the new sub, Eco something, which is what he has used for some time, I suggested he get something to mix with and provided options that I learned of from this site. So, after talking to an employee at the pet store, he returned with wood pieces or chips...NO, they are not in her enclosure. I made sure of it. I was surprised however that the pet store highly recommended the wood chips to him after I have read so much online contradicting the use of them. We are certain that there were mites in the enclosure d/t the saturated sub and so glad to have gotten it changed. This is just a guess but, we are thinking that her strange behavior and total restlessness was d/t her loathing the sub that was in the enclosure and potentially the irritation brought on by the mites. What are the thoughts on that here from you guys? I am really interested in any input that anyone has. The reason we thought that the mites could be an issue was her level of restlessness. She is the queen of not moving around alot, and to see her move around and change locations 4-5 times in a half hour and how quickly she would do it was really alarming. At one point she did a climb that I nearly had a heart attack watching her do and that was when I got on the phone to my buddy and told him I thought she was in some sort of distress. Anyway, I am watching after her again, so thought I would hit up the forum for any insight that anyone has. Thanks again for all the info and experience and for contributing, as its totally helped in creating a great home for Fluffy.

19. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    The only time mites would cause a T to get seriously irritated would be if there was a massive population explosion, and at that point there would be doubt in your mind that you "might" have mites. It was most likely the moisture in the substrate making the spider uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

Glad to hear you made those changes and that she seems to be acting normal again! :) Great call on not letting your friend use wood chips, no matter how much the pet shop suggested it. Pet shops are notorious for not knowing jack about invertebrates and suggestions things that are actually detrimental. I have to try and convince pet shops to change their setups nearly every time I see a tarantula as they are always kept in improper setups.

I like to collect care sheets from every pet store just to see how wrong they are! The one I just grabbed tells me that rose hair tarantulas are an advanced species, should be kept in a 10-gallon tank with 2" - 3" inches of substrate, needs a warm and cool side, a light/dark cycle, should be provided with a drinking sponge, and should be fed daily to every other day! And that's just scratching the surface. So any information from a pet shop is actually reliably unreliable.

The moisture in the substrate was probably the issue and not so much the mites. Mites are so small that most tarantulas barely even notice them. They just function as tiny clean up crews for enclosures. On the other hand, that species really doesn't like moisture, so that would cause a lot of discomfort for her. I'm glad you were able to pick up on the cues she was giving you that she didn't like her setup. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1