Help with Avicularia purpurea and versicolor care

Reese Johnson

Arachnopeon
Hello. Im new this this hobby but I am enjoying taking care of my GBB sling and I want information on other good beginner tarantulas. I have my eyes on the Avicularia purpurea and versicolor (if they are good beginner species) and I'm looking for good information on how to care for those two, hydration, ventilation, feeding, etc. any other suggestions for beginner spiders would be appreciated. If you recommend them, please give information on how to care for them as well

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/ <-------- Care pretty much the same for both.

IMO fine first arboreal species as long as your do your homework and get them set up right. A lot of people outside the forum gripe about them being fragile, but this is mostly due to improper husbandry, mainly ventilation.

For more specifics, A. purpurea are smaller, ~4 inches max, grow slower, and can be picky eaters.

Also just a note, A. versicolor is now Caribena versicolor.

Reese Johnson

Arachnopeon
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/ <-------- Care pretty much the same for both.

IMO fine first arboreal species as long as your do your homework and get them set up right. A lot of people outside the forum gripe about them being fragile, but this is mostly due to improper husbandry, mainly ventilation.

For more specifics, A. purpurea are smaller, ~4 inches max, grow slower, and can be picky eaters.

Also just a note, A. versicolor is now Caribena versicolor.
Thank you very much :)

cold blood

Staff member
I would suggest another terrestrial...something like B. albopilosum B. hamorii
G. pulchripes
or even B. cabocla

At 13 there's no reason to rush...you can take it slowly and still be a virtual master before you can even vote. There are an incredible amount of really great terrestrials out there, take advantage.

For an avic, would strongly suggest a first being an adult A. avic. Theyre readily available and inexpensive, but still a really cool t.

Last edited:

Reese Johnson

Arachnopeon
I would suggest an terrestrial...something like B. albopilosum B. hamorii
G. pulchripes
or even B. cabocla

At 13 there's no reason to rush...you can take it slowly and still be a virtual master before you can even vote. There are an incredible amount of really great terrestrials out there, take advantage.

For an avic, would strongly suggest a first being an adult A. avic. Theyre readily available and inexpensive, but still a really cool t.
Thank you! I like the B. hamorii, so I appreciate the suggestion :)

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I also agree that a terrestrial one might be easier. Versicolor is a perfectly viable starter T, but not the easiest one.

The infamous flying leap of faith is something that versicolor sling keepers become familiar with!!

Mine has never sprayed me with poo, but they are known for that as well.

If you're more open minded to a T that isn't handleable, the Lasiodora genus is worth checking out. The look great and grow fast. That means getting slings and juveniles is no problem.

A geniculata and N chromatis are also considered very popular ones as well.