Help with avic

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, recently aquired a 3 inch avic avic and need help with it.

During the transfer to its enclosure through an odd turn of events happened to get pretty wet. I've allowed it to dry a bit but the hair on the legs is still matted in a few places. In large jar with moist cocofiber substrate, plant, and windowscreen lid. Any suggestions? I've thought of toweling her off but think that'd stress her even more.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's ummm.... different. I'm interested in these "odd events".

So long as the book lungs didn't get absolutely soaked, I wouldn't worry. Just give her ample time to dry and you should be ok.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T + open container of water on table + enclosure transfer + distracted=potential for rather wet tarantula.

Normally I wouldn't worry but I've heard of mold problems with these.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just keep an eye on it, but you should be ok. Mold is an issue because Avics generally need higher humidity than a lot of other species, but a one time dousing shouldn't give you too much trouble. Let us know if things change though.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Perhaps put gauze on the jar as a lid instead of the normal top until the area dries out sufficiently?... ;)

Bear in mind they do get rained on in the wild...

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never kept an avic before. But she seems a bit sluggish and takes on odd positions. Their is a plant in the tank with her and she is on it and the glass. Some of her legs are just kind of hanging off the plant. Don't think I've seen other T's do that they always have a firm grip on whatever it is with all legs.