Help with Asian forest scorpling!

saphirice

Arachnopeon
I went to get another tarantula yesterday and they had these babies for $5 so I figured why the hell not. I know a lot of the scorpion basics which is why I felt confident getting one despite never owning one before, but when I got home and did more advanced research I found I had a really hard time finding information that wasn't either for the adults or the babies so small they're still on the mama's back. My little guy is about 3/4 of an inch in a wide deli container (not a whole lot of ventilation) with a piece of cork bark to hide under and a bottle cap for a water dish that I overfill on purpose. It's on a pretty thin layer of Zilla jungle mix. I've read that they need to be kept super moist so I've been doing that to keep the substrate moist + I live in Florida. Am I overkilling it or is that good? What else do I need to do to keep it alive and growing?

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I went to get another tarantula yesterday and they had these babies for $5 so I figured why the hell not. I know a lot of the scorpion basics which is why I felt confident getting one despite never owning one before, but when I got home and did more advanced research I found I had a really hard time finding information that wasn't either for the adults or the babies so small they're still on the mama's back. My little guy is about 3/4 of an inch in a wide deli container (not a whole lot of ventilation) with a piece of cork bark to hide under and a bottle cap for a water dish that I overfill on purpose. It's on a pretty thin layer of Zilla jungle mix. I've read that they need to be kept super moist so I've been doing that to keep the substrate moist + I live in Florida. Am I overkilling it or is that good? What else do I need to do to keep it alive and growing?
Sorry I don't know scorpions so can't help directly, but my observation has been that these questions about care generally get better feedback if you include some pictures of the specimen and the entire enclosure. I would recommend adding a few photos now, before someone more knowledgeable comes along.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've raised one baby AFS from a small scorpling that had left the care of its mother to a strapping juvie, and am currently raising three others that I got while still under the mother's care and while still small, are now at the independent stage. I still have the mother, too.
I've found them to be quite easy to rear,knock wood. While the one I described first is well established, I won't commit to saying that the new three will flourish, but they've done fine so far, and at this point are at the size of the one I've had success with. So barring unforeseen circumstances, I see no reason that I will have any less success.

I'm not sure what the definition of "super-moist" might be. Not mud, certainly. Moderately damp is the route I have taken.

I did not provide a water "dish" for the babies, just a quick spritz of fine mist to the sides of the deli cups...

I fed the mother, they provide pieces of food to the babies while they are still riding on her back. They left the mother's back, and I left them under mom's care until they had fully darkened. Since yours has been separated, they are likely at the stage where you can chop up small pieces of prey and they will scavenge the pieces. I used mealworms at that point, and currently am offering killed small crickets.

Keep in mind, I am not that experienced with scorps, so better advice may be offered. But I think that with reasonable care, you should have success.

I'm providing a comparison photo . This is regard to my first attempt at raising a baby AFS, as it was the same situation you find yourself in currently.
On the left, the scorpling the night I brought it home on 9-27-2016. The right side image was taken on 11-13-2018. It is very important to note that the image on the right was taken after I temporarily transferred the scorp into its original cup for the purpose of growth comparison, after taking the shot it was returned to its much more spacious current container. The container in the photo is the condiment-cup size in which most small s'lings and scorplings are housed inside initially.

IMG_5891crop2-horz.jpg

saphirice

Arachnopeon
I've raised one baby AFS from a small scorpling that had left the care of its mother to a strapping juvie, and am currently raising three others that I got while still under the mother's care and while still small, are now at the independent stage. I still have the mother, too.
I've found them to be quite easy to rear,knock wood. While the one I described first is well established, I won't commit to saying that the new three will flourish, but they've done fine so far, and at this point are at the size of the one I've had success with. So barring unforeseen circumstances, I see no reason that I will have any less success.

I'm not sure what the definition of "super-moist" might be. Not mud, certainly. Moderately damp is the route I have taken.

I did not provide a water "dish" for the babies, just a quick spritz of fine mist to the sides of the deli cups...

I fed the mother, they provide pieces of food to the babies while they are still riding on her back. They left the mother's back, and I left them under mom's care until they had fully darkened. Since yours has been separated, they are likely at the stage where you can chop up small pieces of prey and they will scavenge the pieces. I used mealworms at that point, and currently am offering killed small crickets.

Keep in mind, I am not that experienced with scorps, so better advice may be offered. But I think that with reasonable care, you should have success.

I'm providing a comparison photo . This is regard to my first attempt at raising a baby AFS, as it was the same situation you find yourself in currently.
On the left, the scorpling the night I brought it home on 9-27-2016. The right side image was taken on 11-13-2018. It is very important to note that the image on the right was taken after I temporarily transferred the scorp into its original cup for the purpose of growth comparison, after taking the shot it was returned to its much more spacious current container. The container in the photo is the condiment-cup size in which most small s'lings and scorplings are housed inside initially.

View attachment 321486
This is so helpful, thank you!!