HELP: Theraphosa Stirmi Noob

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Apophysis is leggier, and the body a little smaller. Adult males are purple like Pamphos and have tibial spurs (the other two don't). Stirmi and blondi are the robust ones. Of the three, stirmi is much hardier in captivity, and because they're still coming in from the wild, prices are less than the other two (which are also more difficult to breed). Theraphosa have the worst hairs of any tarantula, and I've heard from a few owners that apophysis is the worst of all. If you like big terrestrials, you might want to pick up a couple stirmi slings (someone's advertising them in the classifieds).

Patella are their knees.
Ahhh, I like big terrestrials and cannot lie.

All of that stuff I already knew, save for the leggier part. I like the way the apophysis looks when it's younger, the pink tinge it has. I don't think it carries onto adulthood, at least not for females.

I may have to look into some stirmi though.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Did you just go all mix-a-lot on us?
You other arachnoboarders can't deny. When a Pamphobeteus walks in with an itty bitty waist and a round thing in your face, you get sprung.

P.S. don't tell my husband I'm on his turf.

Cjhickey12

Arachnopeon
Definitely not a good first tarantula, but you're not doing anything wrong yet. As stated, mice or small lizards are pretty rich meals for Ts. There is also nothing wrong with feeding your T those things, despite some people arguing over morals. The calcium debate is still being had, but I think it's nearly debunked or completely debunked. I don't pay much attention to it as I don't feed anything but crickets.

And yes, looks like it could be in pre-molt so that would explain why it's taken to hiding. For future Ts though, there is a settling period. Where they'll be out and about when placed in a new home, then slowly they settle into routines. Some like to hide, and some like to wander around. Depends on the species and the individual T.

Pretty girl, but she'll be even more stunning when she's molted!
Thanks for the replys. She has come out twice within the last few days, hanging out by the water dish both times for quite a while then hanging out for a few more hours around the tank before going back into the hide. Its nice getting to see her. Im guessing im pretty good to not feed her again because 2 superworms that got away finally turned into beetles and just kind of do there thing around the tank without getting eaten. So i assume if she is hungry she would eat them.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the replys. She has come out twice within the last few days, hanging out by the water dish both times for quite a while then hanging out for a few more hours around the tank before going back into the hide. Its nice getting to see her. Im guessing im pretty good to not feed her again because 2 superworms that got away finally turned into beetles and just kind of do there thing around the tank without getting eaten. So i assume if she is hungry she would eat them.
Hanging out in the water dish can indicate that the humidity is low. Before you say you have a gauge let me warn you that those cheapo gauges are so inaccurate it ain't funny. Best thing is to keep half of the enclosure moist and the other half dry so the T can choose.

If there are left over feeders in there, please remove them or they may munch on your tarantula while it is molting and most vulnerable to injury

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Don't mean to hijack the thread but have a stirmi question. Are people more or agains having a layer of gravel "water balls" underneath the substrate to keep humidity up in the enclosure.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Don't need to be flamed just need help

I realize this is not the species I should have gotten as my first T. With that being said I can say this. I have followed instructions down to the T about caring for her. Cage is always at 78 degrees and humidity above 70%

Anyway I'm worried about her... When I first got her for about the first 2 weeks she was pretty active ( coming out at night wandering around) but now she has pretty much set up shop inside her hide, the only reason I know she is alive most days is because she is in a different position in her hide.

Now is this normal for her?

I am some what worried because she used to be so active and aggressive (Stridulation, when I poke around and very defensive) and a voracious eater. Now heres where I noticed a difference. I fed her a small mouse after she consumed it I noticed her abdomen is about 1.5 times or larger than her carapace, so I havent wanted to feed her more. Since then she has become super lethargic, never leaving her hide. This started about 3 weeks ago. I figured maybe she was going into molt but now im not sure. Am i doing something wrong or is this the temperament of this species? Im worried to keep feeding her because i dont want problems to come up when she molts? Is this normal? should I keep feeding? What do i DO?
Sounds like your T is in premolt, hanging in their hides is nothing unusual, even for periods of time that seem weird to us. Your humidity if fine, and temps as well. Just leaver her be, and when worried just take a peak to see what she's doing if you want. My stirmi's last premolt was almost 2 months

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 07:40 PM ----------

Ahhh, I like big terrestrials and cannot lie.

All of that stuff I already knew, save for the leggier part. I like the way the apophysis looks when it's younger, the pink tinge it has. I don't think it carries onto adulthood, at least not for females.

I may have to look into some stirmi though.
You really should, I love mine, feisty, great eaters and HUGE..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Don't mean to hijack the thread but have a stirmi question. Are people more or against having a layer of gravel "water balls" underneath the substrate to keep humidity up in the enclosure.
One of the most bizarre husbandry ideas I've ever heard. You can disregard the well-intentioned but incorrect 'swamp dweller' advice. They're not fish. Keep Theraphosa like Asian terrestrials (moist substrate/moderate cross ventilation/full water bowl), and they'll do fine. My w/c's have adapted without a hitch.

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 08:43 PM ----------

Yeah, it will be even more brown...lol.
It's a rich coffee brown, very attractive.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
One of the most bizarre husbandry ideas I've ever heard. You can disregard the well-intentioned but incorrect 'swamp dweller' advice. They're not fish. Keep Theraphosa like Asian terrestrials (moist substrate/moderate cross ventilation/full water bowl), and they'll do fine. My w/c's have adapted without a hitch.
I actually used this method before. And I changed it soon after. The only thing it did was made me feel like i was hauling 100lbs dumbbells around my room.. When all it was was a stirmi LOL. Exactly. This method of using gravel for Theraphosa, yet not for other moisture dependent T's has become a pretty ODD concept IMO.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 08:43 PM ----------

It's a rich coffee brown, very attractive.
I don't mean swamp poec. I'm thinking a layer of water underneath the substrate that will keep the humidity up as it evaporates.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't mean swamp poec. I'm thinking a layer of water underneath the substrate that will keep the humidity up as it evaporates.

I know, but Why? There's no point in it. You don't need a subterranean pond for any tarantula. All you have to do is randomly sprinkle some water around on the substrate, which is the same thing that I do with my Asian terrestrials. That's all, instant humid cage. These animals, Theraphosa included, live where there's fresh air, sunshine and breezes that evaporate a lot of the rainfall. They don't live in dark, wet sewers. Unfortunately, the swamp dweller image has been propagated in the TKG and taken too literally. And from Stan's perspective, having a large collection of Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, and other docile, arid species, Theraphosa in comparison seem to have very high moisture needs. Stan's advice is to keep all tarantulas as dry as you can possibly get away with (which big collectors and breeders do not agree with). But in the perspective of todays hobby, where most of the species are tropicals from high rainfall areas, Theraphosa don't stand out as radically different.

Much better terms for Theraphosa are: 'moisture dependent' and 'not drought tolerant'. Let's put 'swamp dweller' to rest. It does more harm than good.

Last edited:

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
I know, but Why? There's no point in it. You don't need a subterranean pond for any tarantula. All you have to do is randomly sprinkle some water around on the substrate, which is the same thing that I do with my Asian terrestrials. That's all, instant humid cage. These animals, Theraphosa included, live where there's fresh air, sunshine and breezes that evaporate a lot of the rainfall. They don't live in dark, wet sewers. Unfortunately, the swamp dweller image has been propagated in the TKG and taken too literally. And from Stan's perspective, having a large collection of Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, and other docile, arid species, Theraphosa in comparison seem to have very high moisture needs. Stan's advice is to keep all tarantulas as dry as you can possibly get away with (which big collectors and breeders do not agree with). But in the perspective of todays hobby, where most of the species are tropicals from high rainfall areas, Theraphosa don't stand out as radically different.

Much better terms for Theraphosa are: 'moisture dependent' and 'not drought tolerant'. Let's put 'swamp dweller' to rest. It does more harm than good.
Ok moisture dependant makes more sense lol I'll keep it better regulated that way. Hoping this ones a female. Just arrived at the house instead of my job today and the girls wrangled it into an enclosure with no problems and it will be housed in its permanent enclosure tonight.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ok moisture dependant makes more sense lol I'll keep it better regulated that way. Hoping this ones a female. Just arrived at the house instead of my job today and the girls wrangled it into an enclosure with no problems and it will be housed in its permanent enclosure tonight.
How big? You can easily vent sex them from juvenile on up. Males have a black arrow shape above the vent, females have a pouch that hangs down.

You don't want to do anything to stir up hairs, they put them all over the cage as security.

You should also use disposable water bowls, as you won't believe how nasty they get. Even slings do it. Apparently they perceive water bowls as toilets (and what spider takes a bigger dump than Theraphosa?) and what better place to put boluses?

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
How big? You can easily vent sex them from juvenile on up. Males have a black arrow shape above the vent, females have a pouch that hangs down.

You don't want to do anything to stir up hairs, they put them all over the cage as security.

You should also use disposable water bowls, as you won't believe how nasty they get. Even slings do it. Apparently they perceive water bowls as toilets (and what spider takes a bigger dump than Theraphosa?) and what better place to put boluses?
It's a little under 4". I won't be unhappy if it's a male but thanks for the info on central sexing. I won't get home til prob around midnight so will have to wait till tomorrow to check it out. And it has a Gatorade cap in the enclosure with it for now, but it's enclosure I made for it has a soufflé cup in it

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's a little under 4". I won't be unhappy if it's a male but thanks for the info on central sexing. I won't get home til prob around midnight so will have to wait till tomorrow to check it out. And it has a Gatorade cap in the enclosure with it for now, but it's enclosure I made for it has a soufflé cup in it

You can vent sex them at 4". They'll also use hides, like cork slabs.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
You can vent sex them at 4". They'll also use hides, like cork slabs.
That I need to pick up today. Bc the original was DOA I ended up using its hide for the female lividum to start her burrow with.
On a side note: I hooked up a night vision web cam facing into her enclosure and it's cool watching her hang out at her burrow entrance at night.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
That I need to pick up today. Bc the original was DOA I ended up using its hide for the female lividum to start her burrow with.
On a side note: I hooked up a night vision web cam facing into her enclosure and it's cool watching her hang out at her burrow entrance at night.
Theraphosa really is an exciting species. Great all around.

Cjhickey12

Arachnopeon
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Thank you everyone for responses so I have a great update.

This morning she was looking rough I immediatley thought she was in molt. But she was right side up and in her hide. A little worried because her abdomen was looking shriveld/bad I decided to try and lift the hide. As soon as I did it she came to life with even some stridulation so I carefully placed it back down and walked away. About an hour later I noticed she popped her carapace off and I was pretty worried so I decided to let her be and come back in a few hours. I came back 6 hours later. And boy was I surprised. She made it out great and left the hide, she is looking big and fresh. I pulled the old exo out of her hide for her and let her be after snapping a couple pictures.

I hope you guys enjoy