Help! Sling, not adult!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can someone please help? I read the beginner post and a few other posts but have had a hard time in general finding info on my new baby. My first T was Avicularia Avicularia. That was years ago and she was adult when i got her. Hubby just got me an Avicularia Purpurea and we expected an adult and instead we got a tiny baby. I had a setup ready for an adult but it will not work for this tiny baby. Can someone help me figure out how to care for this baby so we dont kill her or lose her? I am waaaay out of my league here. :(
View attachment 239681 View attachment 239680

That is definitely NOT A. purpurea, not even close. I can say that because I have raised that species, and they are grey and black as slings. This is not a purp.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks to me like it's an Avicularia sp Blue Velvet "Blue velvet pink toe" sling, going by the colouration. I can't see the abdomen very well dose it look something like this...

View attachment 239712

As for housing any basic aboreal sling set up will be fine. I have my Versicolor of the same size in this...

View attachment 239716
As the others have mentioned ventilation is key with Avics.

Hope this helps.
There are LARGE number of Avics that look JUST like your sling. If it's a female, in a few years you MIGHT be able to identify it, but I wouldn't count on it. Also, identifying Avics is really full of many problems because so many of them look so similar. As slings almost all of them look nearly identical with only 3 definite exceptions (and 2 of those look each other), this is not one of them.

In all likelihood you have an A. avic.

I'd call my credit card company and open a cause of fraud if SLACKWATER doesn't give you your money back.

It looks a lot like my Psalmopoeus pulcra

View attachment 239759
Surely you are joking?