Help please?

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Hey all. I'm new to scorps...could someone tell me how to tell the difference between a fight and a dance?
My male emp is chasing the BIG female around. He does this little "shake" every so often. She runs from him and waves her stinger around while they grapple.
Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yah i;d have to say thats a dance! Do you want them to mate? If you do i sugest that you have a stick or something so the male can put his sperm sack on it.
Andrew

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I've got slate rock in there. So is the female just going to get in the mood? She's being a pain about the whole thing right now. Also, she's wild caught and fat so she COULD be gravid already...

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The shaking you notice is called juddering.. it's trying to entice the female

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Well, Dr. Evil must have stolen his mojo because every time he does it she runs away.
If she is gravid, will the male pose a threat to potential scorplings?

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a hard question to answer. The male could stress out the female to the point that she eats the young, or, if he's a pertucularly agressive emp he could eat/fight with the young once they start growing. On the otherhand, I've never had a problem. When I started out I'd always separate the mother. But it doesn't really seem to make that much of a difference. In fact, the biggest problem I've seen with raising young along with the parents is keeping the humidity high enough. I'd say remove the babies after the come off mom's back, and if the male seems to be disturbing her, take him out. Otherwise, don't bother.

This is, of course, assuming that she's already gravid!

Good luck,
Chris

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
re

What is the average gestation period for an emperor scorpion?

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I've learned, there's no such thing. You'll usually hear 6-9 months, but there are people on this board who have WC emps that have been in captivity well over a year before they popped. I'd say no less than 6 months, and no more than 1.5 years, but the latter is rare, and probably due to stress (this isn't a criticism of the keepers, I'm saying that the animals may have held off the gestation due to the stress of shipment, etc.)

Chris

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had my female right at two years and on the 5 of November she began to give birth. She was my only scorp and in my care has never been in contact with a male. Pretty amazing!

AK47

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The shaking you notice is called juddering.. it's trying to entice the female
-----------> Wrong!

Its called "bump-n-grind"