1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help. P. Dictator on it's back legs in the air, not moving.

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by N8Legged, Apr 30, 2018.

1. N8Legged

N8Legged Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I have a small p. Dictator kept in it's own tank. that has been fine with having a full water dish and crickets to eat every other week or so. I just got back from a weekend getaway last night I had left with all the water dishes full. so I got back last night and i'm pretty sure it was fine I didn't see it out I think it was hiding and then this morning I wake up and see that it's laying upside down with it's legs in the air. I was pretty sure scorpions molt on their bellies this one has successfullly molted before under my care. I misted the walls of the tank near it. not sure if that's enough.

2. N8Legged

N8Legged Arachnosquire

never mind I'm sure it's dead, I'm just curious as to why it flipped on it's back to die.

3. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    It may be old, there's a good chance it wasn't dictator either, they are just so rare in the hobby and dealers were calling imperators, ....dictators, so many were doing that and maybe still are. Very very slim chance a person is being sold a dictator by a dealer.

4. N8Legged

N8Legged Arachnosquire

actually it was quite young still only half grown and it came from a shop I trust and have been to personally.

5. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron

There was also that big influx of dictator around a year ago, so they aren't really a ton rarer than imperator now from what I've seen. The big difference seems to be some imperator came in recently and dictator hasn't.

6. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    I managed to get some from that shipment, was told there were only about 600 that made it in the US, a very rare happening there. They come from an area people don't want to go to also so it's not likely that will happen again soon. Imperator though, they are still legal actually but they are regulated and a judgment call is made on when collecting can be done. "farmed" imperators are legal to export, of course I'm sure exporters there will lie about that somehow. Heard that all from an importer that went to Africa when all that was going down so that's all second-hand stuff, don't know for sure.

I felt like adding more to this. At least 9 out of 10 posts here that I've seen claiming they were sold dictator, were not sold dictator. Sellers know most customers don't know the difference and some even talk themselves into thinking they are selling dictator. "But I really trust the seller, they know their stuff, they are professionals." No, you're better off not thinking such a thing so fast, it's more often just not the case that these people that "really know their stuff" really know they have dictator, I've seen it too many times. Most dealers are spread thin when it comes to scorpions, they are into other things to sell so scorpions are not their focus and like I said, there are those that know most customers won't know the difference. I walked into an exotic pet store one time and "professionals" told me Scolopendra centipedes only live 2 or 3 weeks, I had one at the time that was 5 years old. Dictators come from the Cameroon area in west Africa. I remember when people were drooling over getting P. dictator because it just seemed like a pipe dream. They were/are hard to get, the area they are from is remote and from what I've read, dangerous. What was strange to me is that once P. imperator was restricted, yet dictator only made it once to the US in a noticeable way, there seemed to be propaganda of some kind that made some disappointed they got the extremely rare P. dictator instead of imperator. This didn't make any sense to me, collectors of Pandinus should be more fired up about getting dictator before imperator, imo, because imperator will always be more available than dictator.

Last edited: May 14, 2018