Help. Need some careguides

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
A breeder of tarantulas offered me a package of 1" L.striatipes, 1" C. Hati hati and a hedgehog for 1700php (34USD) seems to be a good offer right?

The problem is I dont know how to take care of those ts. The caresheets I found are really unreliable. Can someone help me by giving me a simple caresheet? Thanks in advance

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ok the C hati Hati is an aboreal Asian tarantula ( are you ready bv for a fast T with painful venom?) These will burrow as slings but eventually they'll climb/live higher up.

Give them enough substrate to burrow and if the enclosure is big enough a water dish.....these guys are great eaters and they'll rarely turn down a meal.... You can mist every three days or so but you don't need to if you have a water dish in there filled all the time.

The LS same thing (these are new world Ts I think they're from Brazil) deep substrate and a filled water dish and a light mist every few days but the mist is optional if the water dish is full.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
What kinds of Ts have you kept before? Are you sure you're ready for an old world arboreal?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
....and a hedgehog suggests these are your first tarantulas. Is it a good price for the group? Yes, the real value is in the hedgehog. Are you ready for an OW tarantula such as a hati hati? My guess is probably not. You may be setting yourself or someone in your home up for failure should you make a careless or lack of experience type mistake. Pay attention to the advice, even if it seems critical. People care and get concerned, even if it doesn't always sound that way.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I see you're from the Philippines so I'm not sure what tarantulas are available down there or the prices they are going for. For US prices that is a good deal but it may not be where you live.

As others have mentioned, be sure you know what you're getting into with OW Ts.

I keep my 6 C. Hati hati in 32 oz deli cups like this. I keep the sub very lightly moist and give them a water dish. This setup allows them to burrow and web and mine have done both.

I've never kept the other T or a hedgehog (my friend had one in high school) so I can't really help you there.

Good luck.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
If you've never worked with an OW tarantula before, I'd forego the hati hati. OW venom can land you in the hospital, and could hurt or even kill any other pets you have if it escapes you and they come into contact before you can round them back up.

As for the L. striatipes, I'd give it a decent amount of substrate and keep it damp. If you can find any sphagnum moss, or moss of another kind that's safe for pets, I'd add that into the substrate as well to hold moisture. Lasiodora can get pretty big, and might dig. My little L. klugi likes to dig around sometimes. Nothing crazy though. He's more of a substrate mover than a burrower.

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
Ok the C hati Hati is an aboreal Asian tarantula ( are you ready bv for a fast T with painful venom?) These will burrow as slings but eventually they'll climb/live higher up.

Give them enough substrate to burrow and if the enclosure is big enough a water dish.....these guys are great eaters and they'll rarely turn down a meal.... You can mist every three days or so but you don't need to if you have a water dish in there filled all the time.

The LS same thing (these are new world Ts I think they're from Brazil) deep substrate and a filled water dish and a light mist every few days but the mist is optional if the water dish is full.
Thanks for the info

Last edited:

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
What kinds of Ts have you kept before? Are you sure you're ready for an old world arboreal?
I've kept an Lp and a smithi before. Im pretty sure I can handle an old world since I really dont mess with t's with great speed and potent venom.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
There's a bit of a difference between old world terrestrials and arboreals. I'm not saying you're incapable, just ill prepared. Arboreal OW can and do move faster than your eyes can physically track. You need more experience with intermediate sp first.

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
....and a hedgehog suggests these are your first tarantulas. Is it a good price for the group? Yes, the real value is in the hedgehog. Are you ready for an OW tarantula such as a hati hati? My guess is probably not. You may be setting yourself or someone in your home up for failure should you make a careless or lack of experience type mistake. Pay attention to the advice, even if it seems critical. People care and get concerned, even if it doesn't always sound that way.
I've kept an Lp and a smithi before so Im pretty sure that I can handle the speed. The real price is in the two t's because the hedgehog costs 300php ($6).

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Lp and smithi are both beginner Ts; I don't think it's a good decision.

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
He also sells a N. Chromatus which is 3.5inch big. Do you think that its a good thing to buy it too?

jaycied

Arachnoknight
N chromatus are great. They're considered a bit more intermediate than the sp you have, but I got mine fairly early on and I love the little guy

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
N chromatus are great. They're considered a bit more intermediate than the sp you have, but I got mine fairly early on and I love the little guy
The only problem is that it is a sub adult and I prefer 1inch size slings because I could watch em grow

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Then you should wait until you find something you want. Don't settle because there's something you could have right now. Wait until you can get ahold of something you want and ate prepared for

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I've kept an Lp and a smithi before so Im pretty sure that I can handle the speed. The real price is in the two t's because the hedgehog costs 300php ($6).
Seriously, those are slow motion compared to a C sp Hati Hati. I can change directions faster than you can react. Lightning fast. That bite is one you'll never forget should you make the wrong choice. Look at OW bite reports. Image your hand feeling like its on fire for several hours followed by severe cramping and muscle spasms for days if not a week or more.

6 dollars for a Hedgehog in the US is pretty much free. I see babies for 150 dollars routinely

Denbert

Arachnosquire
Kabayan! Haha. Just my advice bro. C. sp Hati hati are fast, arboreal OW Tarantulas. It's not a T that a beginner should be taking care of. If you've handled an LP and a Smithi before, think twice on Hati hati. The two you have before are suitable for beginners because their slower than OW species. For the striatipes, you can handle it just fine since it's not that skittish.

But if you've already fell in love with Hati hati, your primary consideration are: size of enclosure, substrate, water, feeders and basically that's just it. For enclosure, you just have one that is lengthier than wider since arboreal Ts like to climb trees. In the enclosure, you may put a small wood or whatnot to serve as something like a tree for them to climb on. For the substrate, you may put atleast 3 inches of substrate in your enclosure. You may use a mixture of coco peat, top soil and vermiculite. But it depends on you. When I began this hobby, I used coco peat. Now for the water, make sure that your enclosure is moistened up. Meaning, you may add a little water on your substrate enough to make it dense but not to soaky (yung pwede ka lang makahulma ng walang tumutulo na tubig) then add a water dish. As for the feeders, if you have small slings, make sure to have nymphs of either red runners or dubias. Feeding should not be on a daily or every other day basis. Also, add moss for humidity.

Best of luck bro! Happy keeping! :)

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
Kabayan! Haha. Just my advice bro. C. sp Hati hati are fast, arboreal OW Tarantulas. It's not a T that a beginner should be taking care of. If you've handled an LP and a Smithi before, think twice on Hati hati. The two you have before are suitable for beginners because their slower than OW species. For the striatipes, you can handle it just fine since it's not that skittish.

But if you've already fell in love with Hati hati, your primary consideration are: size of enclosure, substrate, water, feeders and basically that's just it. For enclosure, you just have one that is lengthier than wider since arboreal Ts like to climb trees. In the enclosure, you may put a small wood or whatnot to serve as something like a tree for them to climb on. For the substrate, you may put atleast 3 inches of substrate in your enclosure. You may use a mixture of coco peat, top soil and vermiculite. But it depends on you. When I began this hobby, I used coco peat. Now for the water, make sure that your enclosure is moistened up. Meaning, you may add a little water on your substrate enough to make it dense but not to soaky (yung pwede ka lang makahulma ng walang tumutulo na tubig) then add a water dish. As for the feeders, if you have small slings, make sure to have nymphs of either red runners or dubias. Feeding should not be on a daily or every other day basis. Also, add moss for humidity.

Best of luck bro! Happy keeping! :)
KABAYAN!!! Never expected that a Filipino will comment on this thread. I fell in love with the hati hati and I dont know why (maybe because they are maangas, astig or simply beautiful). I've seen some brave souls holding a hatihati before so I messaged them to ask how the heck did they do that without getting bitten. They said that it depends on the mood of the ts. But to be sure, I wont try holding ow's.

Happy keeping rin bro.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I personally believe that if you really "love" an animal, you will do all in your power to be sure you are prepared to give it the best care possible. If that means waiting until you're better equipped because you've never cared for an animal capable of incredible speed and aggression, and you need more experience--then that's what you have to do. Wait.

You didn't fall in love. You fell in want.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Then you should wait until you find something you want. Don't settle because there's something you could have right now. Wait until you can get ahold of something you want and ate prepared for
Because clarification was needed: do not buy something you do not know you will absolutely love. It's worth it to wait for something that you really want instead of rushing it and getting something you don't really like. Don't settle when it comes to living things.

I'm saying this because you mentioned that these sp were what this dealer has available. I say get the hedgehog, and find Ts that you like and can handle somewhere else.