HELP! My. S. subspinipes centipede is infested

Latrotoxin

Arachnopeon
My Thai Giant(Scolopendra subspinipes) is being over taken by some kind of parasite. I am very concerned because I lost a 1" scorpion(B. jacksoni) to these same parasites. These things are small, I would guess in the ball park of 1/2 a millimeter. They are white/grey, are covering the first four or so segment joints of the centipede. If you require photos, I can send them to your email. I dont know how to edit them to make them fit here and they couldnt be auto-resized. PLEASE! Anyone who might be able to help, send me a PM preferably, or just respond to this post. This infestation was very obvious when I got back from a 10 day vacation on the 20th, and since my own measures have not worked(drying out the cage, new bedding), I'm really desperate. Don't want to lose the little guy.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since there are thousands of kinds of mites isopods cannot be counted on to get rid of the problem. They are used more for tank maintenance in humid conditions to get rid of mold and leftovers that some kinds of mites thrive on. If you have mites that are attacking your pede directly they are not eating mold so isopods will not help much except by eating their eggs. Predatory mites (mites that hunt down and eat other mites) are probably the best solution.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For pics, if you upload to a photo hosting site like Photobucket.com there is usually a resize option offered.

colicabcadam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i bet your pede could last a few a days in a dry encloser at 90f, the mites will prob die off.

alternativley, put the pede in the freezer for 5 minutes, the pede will not die, simply slow down until it warms back up, the mites will die.

JohnEDove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, this is gonna sound nuts but I have seen this work on roaches.
Place your pede in a baggy half filled with flour. Shake gently and remove the pede. Rinse off the flour and move the pede to a clean enclosure.
Mites all gone.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check your other tanks (or maybe even your centipede tank) for predatory mites -- they're tiny white dots that run around (running, not jumping). They feed on the type of mites infesting your centipede. If you see them in other tanks, try moving them to your centipede's enclosure.

By the way, this should probably go in the myriapod forum.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
buy some hypoaspis mites

do a search for hypoaspid mites they will clear them up asap.
bioquip has them,as well as a few other places
andy