Help! Moult problems

anarchyuk

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I have a Chilean Rose, my first ever Tarantula. She was an unwanted pet that I rehomed so I have no previous experience with T's at all.
I read up on how to care for her and have had her for about a year. I was told they thought she was about 5 when I got her so she is around 6 years old. She has never been a great eater but has not eaten now in about 6 months. I've tried her with crickets, hoppers and even worms she's just never been interested.
2 nights ago I found her on her back she was like that from 7pm until around 11.30pm when I went to bed. I assumed she was ready to moult so left her.
I got up the next morning and she hadn't moulted but was back on her front. She's moving around but is very sluggish. She has been like this for 2 days now.
I have no idea why she didn't moult but she definitely doesn't seem right.
Any ideas on what could be wrong with her? Is there anything i can do to help her?

Thank you.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Could you post photos of her and her enclosure? They are immensely helpful. Sometimes tarantulas fail to pop their carapace when molting, as @Ungoliant and others can attest to.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Have you ever seen her attempting to climb?...it looks like see landed on your fake plant.
Others will chime in,but enclosure looks suspect.Im personally thinking she fell.You stated
you've had it for a year,correct.Is this enclosure new?.Are you familiar with the height
concerns regarding terrestrial T,s.Please read the many posts about the issue.
I hope I,m wrong.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Judging from those two pics, seems a not appropriate enclosure for a spider like a G.rosea.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
One of the hardest things to learn,or wrap your head around in this hobby,is what looks
great on display,appearence wise,is not always the best for the animals well being.

Not that you cant have great looking display enclosures,but for this T,a shallow enclosure with
substrate/hide and water dish doesn't look as nice as one with green plants/fake wood and and
wood chips.Just something to think on.:)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very strange? Are you sure she hasnt moult! Tarantulas usally are not lying on their back for sevrel hours! No moult skin inside terrarium?

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
Have you ever seen her attempting to climb?...it looks like see landed on your fake plant.
Others will chime in,but enclosure looks suspect.Im personally thinking she fell.You stated
you've had it for a year,correct.Is this enclosure new?.Are you familiar with the height
concerns regarding terrestrial T,s.Please read the many posts about the issue.
I hope I,m wrong.
I don’t think he fell like she said she saw him on his back before she went to sleep so I think it was just a failed molt

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No that tarantula is in a unnatural position! I dunno though what has happend

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Is there anything i can do to help her?
Well,regardless what we are thinking,there is nothing you can do,really.
But good luck with the animal.But I would check out info for enclosures on
terrestrial T,s.It truly dosent matter what it came in.Its not the correct enclosure
for this particular T.

anarchyuk

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, feel awful, if I'd known I'd have got a different enclosure. I thought because this is what she came in this was the correct housing.

D
Very strange? Are you sure she hasnt moult! Tarantulas usally are not lying on their back for sevrel hours! No moult skin inside terrarium?
Defo no skin at all. I checked

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
If you can get a pic of her upside down...i do believe i see emboli in one pic, but im not sure.

Frankly this would explain things a bit...rose hairs are one of those very rare species where MMs do often try to molt....some even succeed, but most get stuck and die.

Even if thats not the case, any t can have molting complications, get stuck and die....its not common, but it does happen from time to time....often there isnt anything the keeper could have done aside from providing water.....in cases where you could help, the t would have needed to pop the carapace and make some progress first.

It could also be from a fall.

anarchyuk

Arachnopeon
I don't want to flip her on her back she's bern on her front for 2 days now. The whole front of her looks lopsided. She can stretch out and walk but it looks like she's leaning more to the one side

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I don't want to flip her on her back she's bern on her front for 2 days now. The whole front of her looks lopsided. She can stretch out and walk but it looks like she's leaning more to the one side
You do not have to do that. Just put it into a clear container and then take a photo from the bottom.

anarchyuk

Arachnopeon
If you can get a pic of her upside down...i do believe i see emboli in one pic, but im not sure.

Frankly this would explain things a bit...rose hairs are one of those very rare species where MMs do often try to molt....some even succeed, but most get stuck and die.

Even if thats not the case, any t can have molting complications, get stuck and die....its not common, but it does happen from time to time....often there isnt anything the keeper could have done aside from providing water.....in cases where you could help, the t would have needed to pop the carapace and make some progress first.

It could also be from a fall.
Taking her out in thst tub really stressed her out I feel awful. But it looks like the front legs are stuck. The back legs are working but the front are semi curled.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is that venom coming out fromits fang? Poor thing!!! it looks like death curl im afraid. Im also think its an adult male based on the pedipalp/ embolous! But im not sure sometimes pedipalp can look thick in certain angles!
But if it has not moulted and they ARE embolous!? This means that he has been an adult male in your care! Then its not strange if he died! Their lifespann us measured once they moulted into mature males!

anarchyuk

Arachnopeon
Is that venom coming out fromits fang? Poor thing!!! it looks like death curl im afraid. Im also think its an adult male based on the pedipalp/ embolous! But im not sure sometimes pedipalp can look thick in certain angles!
But if it not has moulted and they are embolous this means that he has been an adult male in your care! Then its not strange if he died! Their lifespann us measured once they moulted into mature males!
Yes he/she got really stressed in the tub I genuinely know nothing about tarantulas, this was an unwanted pet that I took because they were going to throw him/her away. I tried to rehome but no-one wanted him/her. I have done my best and tried to take care of it as best I could. Having looked up how to sex it I think it might be a male as there are no feet on the shorter front legs, they are rounded.
This has been 3 days now and I just feel awful it's suffering.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sure, your terrarie design could certainly be inproved! But you seamed to give it love and care as best you could! And makes, once they mature only lives for a couple of month to a year! So orobably died of natural causes!
No sweat!!!!