HELP!!! Mothlings!!!

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I caught what I think is an Angel moth on my ranch the other day. We thought it was a dying male, so I kept it to pin. But it laid eggs. Today I found hundreds of little itty bitty mothlings (catterpillars?) crawling all over the container. I gave them some grass and leaves, but I dont even know if they eat that. Id like to keep a few as a learning experience. If anyone knows what to do, please help. Thanks!!!!!!

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, caterpillars. Moths and butterflies have the same kind of larva.

Most caterpillars are herbivores, but while some species eat just about anything that grows, others are exclusive to particular plants. Some moth caterpillars are just scavengers of animal matter, too. I don't really know my lepidoptera, though.

Last edited:

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just hope that a swarm of Godzillings don't come and beat them up.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I could help you if you could give some more detailed info. Such as its scientific name or other common names, description/size/colors/etc. I'm not familiar with the common name "angel moth" If it is some kind of Saturniid moth try feeding them oak, cherry, or hickory. Believe it or not but most moth larvae are specific in what they feed on, and they also will most likely die if not fed the right food within 2 days.