1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Molted T and surprise cricket in enclosure

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Deeser, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Deeser

Deeser Arachnosquire

Montreal
    Advertisement
    Hi folks, my 2" L.(O?) Violaceopes has been in premolt for a couple weeks and today i looked in its burrow and it's just molted.

At the same time, I found a cricket that has managed to stay in hiding in there all this time!!! The cricket must be hungry as it's been weeks, but when I tried to pull it out it hid in the bark.

The problem is that the bark goes down into the substrate, where the T made its burrow, and I don't want to move it too much to get the cricket out while the T is still so soft and fragile!

Do I leave it in and risk it bothering my T? Do I try to move things to take it out?

Maybe put fish flakes high up on the bark to lure it out? Not sure what the safest option is for my T.

Thanks

2. BC1579

BC1579 Arachnoknight Active Member

I've had success with cheap, greasy dog/cat food. Crickets love it. One kernel (Kibble? Nugget? Whatever.) should be enough to lure the feeder out. Then you can nab it.

I saw a similar thread regarding using dog/cat food to gutload feeders, but I didn't read it. I wouldn't think they'd be harmful to the T, but maybe do a search and check it out just to be sure.

Edit: My success with pet food was using a few pieces here and there along with fruit and veg when I kept a cricket colony for a chameleon. They adored it.

3. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnobaron Active Member

Norway
    The easiest way to get a cricket out is to put some food they like inside of a vial and take it out when they enter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. BC1579

The vial is a great idea. Reduces the chance of that food getting lost or whatever.

I should also add that pet food gets moldy very, very quickly. It's not one you'd want to get lost in a T enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Deeser

Deeser Arachnosquire

Montreal
    Thanks guys. The vial trick sounds promising, I put one in there with fish flakes and a cat food kibble.

Those are what i use to gut load them and I know they certainly enjoy them. Now for patience...

• Love Love x 1
  6. BC1579

Pour it a glass of wine. That's how I always know it's dinner time.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnobaron Active Member

Norway
    Try that, I usually do this whenever a T refuses a cricket and it works quite well. However, if it doesn┬┤t work you should get it out even it means disturbing the T. A cricket roaming about in a freshly moulted tarantula┬┤s enclosure is bad news.

• Agree Agree x 1