Help me understand what i'm looking at? [PICS]

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Guys

So i put together a setup based on previous threads and vids etc about how to properly moult sex a juvenile T, and I've managed (I think) to get some pretty decent photos

I know need help understanding what it is i'm actually looking at, as people always remark on 'once you've looked at a few you'll know what you're looking at'. This is the first time i've looked at moults at this magnification so would like some help figuring it out

I've included ventral shots as well just for comparison. It is an L parahybana that is 12cm in legspan

Shot 1

Closer

Question?

Ventrals for interest

For those interested in perhaps reproducing such images (if they're any good) without a microscope of any kind the setup is as follows

Small clear plastic box with a small handheld mirror inside to reflect desk lamp in order to underlight

Camera with extension tubes and a front mounted 10x lens (both really cheap camera accessories

et voila

Thanks for the education guys :)

Bryn

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They look like gonopores to me. If those were spermathecae, they would be connected.

Ventrals look male based on the shape of the entire area.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Although similar in appearance, spermathecae would be considerably bigger than that, yes?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Here is what you are looking for when sexing ventrally

1) The shape and size of the epigastric furrow:

The males epigastric furrow more of a upside down 'U' shape. The females epigastric furrow have more of a horizontal to slightly upward curved shape.

2) Book lungs:

The book lungs on the males are alot closer distance to the epigastric furrow than that of the females, which are a lot more further apart.

3) Epigastric furrow structure:

Males have the hairs on the epigastric furrow sort of uplifted leaving a seeminly bald patch and creating a small "white dot" right in the middle. The epigastric furrow on the females is also larger and more pronounced.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is rather useful thanks, so based on what we're seeing it's a male.

Thanks for the help and useful link

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not gonopore, those are male accessory organs. A gonopore is an opening.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
--------
UPDATE
--------

So after tinkering a bit with my setup, i've managed to produce some better quality images and also had a look at some other moults to see if I'm definitely understanding what I'm looking at.

Please correct me if i'm misguided in any sense

Firstly I looked at a G rosea moult from a 4inch specimen. Ventrally she looked very female (one of my previous threads) and my setup produced these images, which based on what I've seen, are definitively spermathecae and hence she's now a confirmed female. This look right?

-----

Secondly, I managed to unroll enough of one of my very much smaller juvenile N chromatus moults and was very pleased with the images I've produced. (remember no microscope involved here, just a DSLR and some super cheap add ons)

Are these primitive speramthecae I'm seeing, given their relative size and they appear joined up? Hence meaning female?

For idea of size this section of moult is 4mm from top to (torn) bottom.

Help always appreciated :D

Also let me know what you think of the pics if you like them :)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's some pics of my C cyanaeopubescens' most recent moult, a girl! Joy!