1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me solve this mystery of a jumping spider

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Daan1234, Apr 13, 2019.

Could you help me solve this mystery of a jumping spider?

1. one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. two

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Daan1234

Daan1234 Arachnopeon

Holland
    Advertisement
    Hello, I am new to this site and spiders in general.

Today I have found a jumping spider in my room and I wanted to know what species it was, so I decided to keep it in a container and fed the little guy a small moth, which it had quickly caught.

After half an hour however I had not figured out the species and I had to go to work.
    Since I didn't want to disturb it while it was eating I decided to let it inside of the container while I went to work and let it out in the evening. However, I found it gone when I got back: it had escaped via the air-holes in the container.

Puzzled I searched my room and I found something on the side of my wall. I know that spiders do molting and to me this looks like an exoskeleton strapped to the wall. But is this only the left-over skeleton or does this contain the spider?

Since you know a lot of information about spiders I hope that you can tell me what happened and what I should do if this still contains the spider.

I have tried to link three pictures: one of the spider from before I went to work, one of the spider eating the moth and the last picture is of what I found in my room after work. I hope that it works.

Thank you.
    IMG_9265 (1).jpg Spider 3.JPG spider2.JPG

Attached Files:

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

While I can't tell you much about the spider, I can tell you about the moth. That is an Indian Meal Moth, Plodia interpunctella, and they are a notorious pantry pest. If that was found in your house or apartment, you might want to inspect your stored food products - particularly grain-based items such as flour, cereals, corn meal, corn starch, baking mix, and also rice, nuts, seeds, trail mix, dried peas and beans, and dried fruits. You'll be looking for little white, yellow, or pinkish caterpillars like this: https://bugguide.net/node/view/605415/bgimage or this: https://bugguide.net/node/view/560276/bgimage and the webby mess they leave behind:https://bugguide.net/node/view/25257/bgimage. Even if you do not see the caterpillars themselves, you may notice that some of your stored food products - particularly items with fine particles - may appear to clump together oddly or stick to the sides of their container because they get caught up in the webbing.

If you do discover that you have a moth infestation, you'll need to identify and discard any contaminated products, clean food storage areas thoroughly, and consider investing in sealed glass, metal, or sturdy plastic containers for your stored foods, both to prevent fresh products from becoming infested by any moths you missed - and to quarantine your remaining food products, in case there are any infested items that you missed.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Daan1234

Daan1234 Arachnopeon

Holland
    Thank you very much for your quick reply, I will clean out my cupboards before I get a lot of moths. I have not seen any caterpillars up to this point so I hope it is not that bad yet.

4. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

No big deal. Just turn a jumping spider loose... oh wait. You did. Never mind.

5. ArachnidBoi

ArachnidBoi Arachnopeon

Where are you located? Salticid IDs can be tough without a location.

6. It looks a little bit like
    hypoblemum albovittatum