Help me sex & ID this wolf spider

TeeWrecks

Arachnopeon
Hello. I live in SW Washington and saw a pretty impressive spider near my front door. After a bit of research I decided to catch it and make a pet out of it. I’ve never had any invertebrate let’s before but I think it will be fun.

All I know is that it’s probablh a wolf spider of some kind. I thought I’d reach out to this community for some more info about it.

Here’s a pic that shows it off pretty well.
https://imgur.com/gallery/JbTP0
Lemme know if I should post more photos.

Cheers!

The wolf

Arachnolord
As @Veles said this is an erategena atrica female that substrate doesn't look quite right but it doesn't matter too much with this species.They are web builders they will need little to no substrate plenty of sticks pieces of bark etc and preferably a hids and a reasonable amount of space I have kept these guys in tiny encloses that are around 10x5x7cm and had absolutely no problems but I am currently keeping one in a foot square enclosure and it's doing equally well. They are often fertile as I have now had a total of 6 egg sacs from two wild caught induvidials they are the fastest true spiders in the world but they will never bolt out of an enclosure once a web is built feed once a week Welcome to the hobby and have fun

Veles

Arachnobaron
As @Veles said this is an erategena atrica female that substrate doesn't look quite right but it doesn't matter too much with this species.They are web builders they will need little to no substrate plenty of sticks pieces of bark etc and preferably a hids and a reasonable amount of space I have kept these guys in tiny encloses that are around 10x5x7cm and had absolutely no problems but I am currently keeping one in a foot square enclosure and it's doing equally well. They are often fertile as I have now had a total of 6 egg sacs from two wild caught induvidials they are the fastest true spiders in the world but they will never bolt out of an enclosure once a web is built feed once a week Welcome to the hobby and have fun
Is it just me or the spider hasnt made a web yet in that picture?
How did it hunt the cricket then?

The wolf

Arachnolord
Is it just me or the spider hasnt made a web yet in that picture?
How did it hunt the cricket then?
I agree it's odd as they use web as a sensory organ and so are rarely stimulated to attack prey without one although more than capable of doing so

Veles

Arachnobaron
I agree it's odd as they use web as a sensory organ and so are rarely stimulated to attack prey without one although more than capable of doing so
I mean, its rare to see web building spider attack outside its web.
But T.atrica isnt fragile build wise so i can see them doing it.

TeeWrecks

Arachnopeon
I appreciate all the info! I have it in a container that’s probably about 1.5 cubic feet, with coconut husk fiber substrate. I’ve had it for three days now and haven’t seen any webbing at all. I’ll make sure to put some more debris in for anchor points.

I had it in the container with no substrate for the first day and a half and I will say I seemed to see a big difference in the spiders behavior as soon as I put the coconut down. It seemed to want to explore more and less frightened.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I appreciate all the info! I have it in a container that’s probably about 1.5 cubic feet, with coconut husk fiber substrate. I’ve had it for three days now and haven’t seen any webbing at all. I’ll make sure to put some more debris in for anchor points.

I had it in the container with no substrate for the first day and a half and I will say I seemed to see a big difference in the spiders behavior as soon as I put the coconut down. It seemed to want to explore more and less frightened.
Pics of the enclosure?
What does she seem to be doing,is she standing out in the open or has she found a hide?

TeeWrecks

Arachnopeon
Pics of the enclosure?
What does she seem to be doing,is she standing out in the open or has she found a hide?
These are the only other pics I have of her at the moment. https://imgur.com/gallery/QD6LJ
That’s where I found here and what I originally caught her in.

I’ll post some more pics when I get home in a few hours.

She doesn’t really seem to want to hide, but could be because I haven’t provided much opportunity for that. There’s a large chunk of coconut husk that I laid on the top of the substrate but haven’t seen her under it yet.

Veles

Arachnobaron
These are the only other pics I have of her at the moment. https://imgur.com/gallery/QD6LJ
That’s where I found here and what I originally caught her in.

I’ll post some more pics when I get home in a few hours.

She doesn’t really seem to want to hide, but could be because I haven’t provided much opportunity for that. There’s a large chunk of coconut husk that I laid on the top of the substrate but haven’t seen her under it yet.
Yeah, better add few rocks and some bark in her enclosure.

The wolf

Arachnolord
As i said, add few rock and a bit of bark to make her some shelter.
Looks nice always good to make ahide slightly high off the ground so she can make an elevated web but now I'm just being pedantic

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Here’s a pic that shows it off pretty well.
https://imgur.com/gallery/JbTP0
Lemme know if I should post more photos.
If you're able to get a ventral picture (of the underside of the spider), that can be helpful in distinguishing between the two species of Eratigena that are found in the Pacific Northwest. (E. atrica tends to be larger than E. agrestis, but they have patterns on the sternum that make telling them apart very easy.)

Care is similar for both species; it's just a matter of curiosity.