help me please!! my t is stuck!!

inked

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all

i need some help here!! anyone ever had a tarantula get stuck in a hole??
my S.crassipes sling/juve has tried to climb through a drainage hole in her plant pot hide and is mega stuck and i dont know what to do!!!

She's trying to pull through and almost pulling her abdomen off :(
killing me to see her like this?? is that possible??

I was told a general rule is that if the carapace goes, then the soft abdomen will fit.. is this always the case though???

please help.. im so stressed out..

any ideas???

sorry bad pic, i'm shaking like a mofo.. :(

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if it ispossible, i would advise you to put it into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to slow it down so it wont injure itself.. i can imagine what you're going through, slow it down, and try o see if there's anyway u can get it out, maybe by reversing the way it went or cutting the pot slowly or.. just see what you could do .. about the ""if the carapace goes, then the soft abdomen will fit.. "" i'm not sure about it.. hope i helped somehow someway..

randy

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Having a hard time seeing how she is stuck from that pic. If I am interpreting it right it there is a rectangular hjole under the right side of her bdomen and the flattened part in the pic is the part pulled under from being stuck.

What material is the planter made of? As a last resort you could try breaking or cutting it away. If it it is earthenware or ceramic give a small tap away from her and let the crack travel in her direction. It will prevent pinching this way. If plastic then an x-acto knife or kraft saw may be the right tool, but it would be tricky and take steady hands.

May need to calm her down in the fridge a bit first before attempting that.

Before all that though you might try moistening her from both sides of where she is stuck with water or glycerine in the same manner used for a stuck molt. Bad thing is though that if I am guessing right about what part is stuck then that is dangerously close to the book lung for a lot of lubricants that would help.

Good luck with it.

tarantula666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if the planter is made of plastic , get a very sharp scalpel and gently ( VERY VERY CAREFULL) cut the planter
cut away from the spider
you might want to try to slow her down by cooling her of first so she doesn't move to fast
problem is you will need very steady hands for this if you''re gonna try the scalpel

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Since Gethin hasn't updated you all yet, the spider is free! He managed to cut her loose with some small nail scissors.

inked

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey all, thanks for the replies :)
good news, i saved her!!

when i lifted the pot up i could see a small gap that wasnt touching her abdomen.. i used small sharp nail scissors to carefully get in there and cut away and then pry apart.. WOW was she happy to get out of that!

was so stressful cuz she was trying to pull through and was hurting herself, but if i was in any state of mind to think straight, i would have realised earlier that lifting the pot of gave her nothing to grip properly TO pull through
:rolleyes:

so she's safely out now and happy.. so thanks for the help all.. much appreciated.. {D

learn from my mistake!! :p

pic attached.. you can see the mark from her squeeze.. i didn't like her chances of getting the rest of that fat a$$ through...

Last edited:

inked

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LPacker79 said:
Since Gethin hasn't updated you all yet, the spider is free! He managed to cut her loose with some small nail scissors.

thanks Leanne for covering ;)

inked

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just another pic of how she was stuck.. a bit clearer and less shaky :rolleyes:

She was like that and twisting and trying to pull through and stretching, and going nowhere.. that first pic was extra stretchy :(

they're tough little critters {D

thanks again for the help.. was really much appreciated :D