Help me narrow down the options.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i am going to order some tarantulas and was hopping to get some thoughts/opinions on a few species.

I also have only narrowed the seller down to two options which doesn't make it any easier... (trying to be a cheapskate and get another person to order with me to share shipping may have changed where i go)

i think i have narrowed it down to about 10. Which do you think i will get the most enjoyment from and why? Or why NOT to get one if you think it isn't that great. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Pretty sure i will get 1 or 2 M. balfouri (no plan to keep them communal though.)

Source 1

P. Cancerides
P. Sazimai
pseudohapalopus sp. blue
P. Bara/lowland
I. mira
Avicularia minitrax
Y. diversipes

Source 2

Phormictopus sp south hispanola
Psalmopoeus Reduncus
Tapinauchenius violaceus
(and a couple less expensive ones i will get just because i am there if i go that route)

Thanks in advance.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know your experience. However as an owner of I. mira, they are great! Same of A. minatrix. Minatrix are one of my absolute favorite Avics.

There's my AF mira, Blue Suede Shoes.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Experiance is intermediate. Haven't been keeping for all that long really but i have pretty much jumped straight in.

i currently have

2 adult/subadult B. albos (one nicuraguan one honduran)
1 adult G. pulchripes
1 Mature pair G. Porteri
1 Adult A. Seemani
2 Adult/Subadult P irminia
1 Adult B. vagans
1 MM A. Avicularia
1 Juvi P. faciata
1 Juvi A ulrichea

slings
1 sling/juvi P. Metalica
1 C. kaeng krachen
1 C. Vietnam blue
4 K. brunipes
4 B. hamorii
3 L. parahybana
3 C. Hati hati
1 H. columbia large
2 GBB
1 N. coloratovilosus
1 OBT
1 A. calcodes
1 C. versicolor

i'm not particularly scared of anything, however due to limited experience i don't want to overload myself with any Super crazies until i get a few more rehouses of my current OW species. But so far caution and the propper tools have led me to success with all the ones i have done so far.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
i am going to order some tarantulas and was hopping to get some thoughts/opinions on a few species.

I also have only narrowed the seller down to two options which doesn't make it any easier... (trying to be a cheapskate and get another person to order with me to share shipping may have changed where i go)

i think i have narrowed it down to about 10. Which do you think i will get the most enjoyment from and why? Or why NOT to get one if you think it isn't that great. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Pretty sure i will get 1 or 2 M. balfouri (no plan to keep them communal though.)

Source 1

P. Cancerides
P. Sazimai
pseudohapalopus sp. blue
P. Bara/lowland
I. mira
Avicularia minitrax
Y. diversipes

Source 2

Phormictopus sp south hispanola
Psalmopoeus Reduncus
Tapinauchenius violaceus
(and a couple less expensive ones i will get just because i am there if i go that route)

Thanks in advance.
How many is "A Few" ?

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
I would go with the first source and maybe narrow it down by choosing between the P. Sazimai and pseudohapalopus sp. blue. You could narrow it down further by choosing only two of the three arboreals you have on that list. Otherwise, why not get all of them?

boina

Lady of the mites
Get that Tapi. People always overlook Tapis, but they are the best arboreals ever. Often out, always eating, crazy hunters, great colors, great behaviour, what else do you want. And P. reduncus is not bad either.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Some people may disagree, but my first T was a C. versicolor. Very easy to care for and mine is doing beautifully.
How many is "A Few" ?
A few is the number i can get before i run out of money... Probably about 3 (in addition to the m. Balfouri)

I would go with the first source and maybe narrow it down by choosing between the P. Sazimai and pseudohapalopus sp. blue. You could narrow it down further by choosing only two of the three arboreals you have on that list. Otherwise, why not get all of them?
Trust me, if i had the money for all of them i'd be working from a much larger list. LOL.

I'm an advocate for P. bara/lowland. Nice colors, my second fav Pokie.
Definitely on the top of my pokie list right now. BEAUTIFUL species.

Get that Tapi. People always overlook Tapis, but they are the best arboreals ever. Often out, always eating, crazy hunters, great colors, great behaviour, what else do you want. And P. reduncus is not bad either.
Okay, if i go with source #2 i will deffinitely get the tapi. Source #2 is pretty cheap for most of what they offer so i can stretch the money a little farther, they just don't have the same selection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
A few is the number i can get before i run out of money... Probably about 3 (in addition to the m. Balfouri)

Trust me, if i had the money for all of them i'd be working from a much larger list. LOL.
Right on.

If you're shopping on a budget then you should narrow it down however you see fit. Like I was trying to say, though maybe I didn't convey very well, I would make my decision based on how different each tarantula is from one another. So for the P. Sazimai and pseudohapalopus sp. blue, those are both obviously blue tarantulas, and I would narrow my list down by choosing between one or the other. I would definitely keep both the Phormictopus species you mentioned on your list because I have told myself since winter that I would get a Phormictopus species once the temps warmed up enough to ship.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Gotcha. I see what you're saying. Very valid point. On the other hand, i will end up buying more when i have more extra money. LOL. In fact i even debated to myself if i should sell some stock and buy the $3000 package deal that CaseyK posted but no matter how i try to justify it monetarily (cost vs value) i cant get around the fact that i don't need to suddenly overload myself with that many spiders and all the research required for the species i haven't had yet. Stupid logic is always getting in the way of my fun...

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I recommend either of the Phormictopus and the P. sazimai. I have a few Phormics and sazimais and enjoy all of them.