Help me identify this tarantula please :) - Arizona blonde?!?

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Hello my fellow arachno keepers,

I went to the local fish store and saw this labeled as Arizona blonde aka A chalcodes.

It's very dark , almost black. What do you guys think?

Thank youuuu in advance !

image.jpg image.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Unless there is a color morph I don't know about, A. chalcodes is... well, blonde, as the common name implies. I can't help you with what it is, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not an A. chalcodes.

It looks like it has a bald patch. I do not believe that A. chalcodes have urticating hairs, meaning they also don't kick hair. At least the ones I've had never kicked.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Unless there is a color morph I don't know about, A. chalcodes is... well, blonde, as the common name implies. I can't help you with what it is, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not an A. chalcodes.

It looks like it has a bald patch. I do not believe that A. chalcodes have urticating hairs, meaning they also don't kick hair. At least the ones I've had never kicked.
My A. Chalcodes has kicked hairs before...

Could be A. eutylenum though I am by no means 100% sure. Also, shouldn't this be in Tarantula ID?

AntikInsomniak

Arachnopeon

Aphonopelmas have urticating hairs, though they are usually docile enough to not really kick them. A. moderatum tends to though.

As for that spider, my guess would be on the "California black tarantula" (A. eutylenum) if they are considering it to be an Aphonopelma. It looks very similar to mine, even in apparent size of it on the eco earth.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Aphonopelmas have urticating hairs, though they are usually docile enough to not really kick them. A. moderatum tends to though.

As for that spider, my guess would be on the "California black tarantula" (A. eutylenum) if they are considering it to be an Aphonopelma. It looks very similar to mine, even in apparent size of it on the eco earth.
Great minds...

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Thank you everyone for all your responses.

I am going to post 3 more pics I took of it just now.

Basically once every couple years I stop in this pet store that is not local to me and I usually find extremely under priced/misnamed tarantulas.

I walk in before to take a quick look and see this small black tarantula for 29.99 with no name. I ask the employees what tarantula it is and they tell me...
"I think its an arizona blonde."

They had no idea about the scientific name but said Arizona blonde. So I assumed they have no idea. I bought it though.
Keep in mind this is the same store that sometimes will sell full grown adult tarantulas for like $50.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Its a mature male, many of them turn that dark color when they mature. There's no way to ID it with out collection data.

Later, Tom

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Its a mature male, many of them turn that dark color when they mature. There's no way to ID it with out collection data.

Later, Tom
HAH! , Thank you very much Philth. You philthy man you!

So a mature male A chalcodes! :D

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Wait... Didn't he say,"There's no way to ID it with out collection data."?

Or am I interpreting this wrong?
I looked up mature male A chalcodes and it is SPOT ON!

Such a tiny little fella. Its all good im not upset. Either way he will live the rest of his life in peace in a perfect home.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Like I said many Aphonopelma turn that color when they mature, so I didn't call it A.chalcodes lol, regardless if you're not going to breed it like you shouldn't, it doesn't really matter what label you stick on its cage.

Later, Tom

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So basically don't breed any American Aphonopelma because the genus is so messed up, unless you know that the two t's were collected in the same area.

Correct me if I'm wrong^

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello my fellow arachno keepers,

I went to the local fish store and saw this labeled as Arizona blonde aka A chalcodes.

It's very dark , almost black. What do you guys think?

Thank youuuu in advance !

View attachment 140638 View attachment 140639
I was going to also tell you mature male but Philth bit me to it. There is no way to tell if yours really is a A. chalcodes unless you save the emboli of your mature male and preserve the specimen once your mature male has parished. Look further of the discription of the mature males of Aphonopelma spp. cause you're dealing with mature males that turn black of species like A. moderatum, A. bicoloratum, A. chalcodes (Mexican Blonde) not "Arizona blonde" etc. here is a link for you to follow and please I suggest for you to specially read post #17 and press the links I've provided on that thread http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?246429-A.-chalcodes-color-morph

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Like I said many Aphonopelma turn that color when they mature, so I didn't call it A.chalcodes lol, regardless if you're not going to breed it like you shouldn't, it doesn't really matter what label you stick on its cage.

Later, Tom
Ah, my apologies. But its definitely Aphonopelma family, cause it does look almost exactly like them as mature males.

And no I definitely will not breed it hehe, Thanks again man

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 07:58 PM ----------

I was going to also tell you mature male but Philth bit me to it. There is no way to tell if yours really is a A. chalcodes unless you save the emboli of your mature male and preserve the specimen once your mature male has parished. Look further of the discription of the mature males of Aphonopelma spp. cause you're dealing with mature males that turn black of species like A. moderatum, A. bicoloratum, A. chalcodes (Mexican Blonde) not "Arizona blonde" etc. here is a link for you to follow and please I suggest for you to specially read post #17 and press the links I've provided on that thread http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?246429-A.-chalcodes-color-morph
Thanks alot exo, appreciate the info

-DD

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Seems like we really need some more research done on these creatures.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 05:03 PM ----------

To clarify, I meant tarantulas in general.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, my apologies. But its definitely Aphonopelma family, cause it does look almost exactly like them as mature males.

And no I definitely will not breed it hehe, Thanks again man

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 07:58 PM ----------

Thanks alot exo, appreciate the info

-DD
No problem! But also what would helpful for you and for us is what is the size of your mature male? This can also help you wether it could be a dwarf species, medium species or larger species.