help me get a calm dwarf

aim00

Arachnopeon
There are multiple breeders that have paired H.chilensis here in the Netherlands, so there should be offspring soon, I hope.
nice. btw. Netherlands my love, latest visit was south of Netherlands couple of months ago, i still have idea to live there one day.

i am not going to make different thread because 1 question to keep my spam level low :happy:. but how big terrarium would grown hommoeomma orellanai / euathlus sp red need? ive realized that tarantulas are better off smaller places, get stressed or cant find prey in bigger terrariums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
First of all, Euathlus sp. red is now Homoeomma chilenesis. :)

As for enclosure size, I think they would do well in a small or medium Exo Terra breeding box. At least, that's what I'm planning to put mine in should it ever grow to adult size... :rolleyes:

Do you already know what size yours will be? Just curious. And please, post pictures once you have it! :astonished:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Rule of thumb is two to three times their diagonal leg span. Since they are a species who is active and loves to explore, I would go a little larger than the norm.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ive lurked around internet quite some time for tarantula. never owned one to be honest.
so year ago i really fell in love with euathlus sp red. but been over a year and i have not found them anywere.

so yesterday i found shop in europe that currently carries euathlus sp yellow.
and another shop has

C. elegans
D. diamantinesis
C. leetzi

so now im thinking maybe one of them suits for me too. im looking for smaller species and docile slow one. would not like that my first tarantula would be too aggressive or too fast and might run away and die.

euathlus sp red (old name) is so calm from watching videos. love it. they seem to be chill like me.

so maybe help a brother out so i could join tarantula club here . thank you
It seems you are not familiar with any of these species. Do some research before you buy on their care.

Get sp Yellow. I’ve owned them, just like sp Red. I’ve owner scrofa, not always docile.

The rest are high strung esp 1 and 2.

Isn't E. sp yellow supposed to be similar in disposition to E. sp red? (To lazy to look up proper spelling for new names ATM) I haven't owned either personally, just thought i had read that before.
Yes- owner of both

Last edited by a moderator:

aim00

Arachnopeon
It seems you are not familiar with any of these species. Do some research before you buy on their care.

Get sp Yellow. I’ve owned them, just like sp Red. I’ve owner scrofa, not always docile.

The rest are high strung esp 1 and 2.

Yes- owner of both
yea im reading slowly but daily about tarantulas etc. would not take them as pet if i would not care for them. seems like yellow is winner:happy::happy:

I cannot stress this enough....do not start a new thread, your questions are your questions, consolidate them in one place.
yea, my thoughts exactly. so if i ask more dumb question in my thread i dont get stoned immediately ?:smug:

Todd729

Arachnopeon
I actually really love haplopus Columbia. They aren’t super crazy and are just sooooo pretty :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
They aren’t super crazy and are just sooooo pretty
They are lightning fast though. Rehouses can be quite a challenge. I have one female that I rarely see. She dug a hole in the substrate and she disappeared for months. I found some legs and other pieces of her molt in the substrate, so she must have molted. Just no idea when. I know she is hungry when the bulge in the substrate under which she lives has a hole in it. Pretty spider, but I wish I saw her more often. Oh well, she does not take up much time and space, so I will keep her :D But based on my own experience I am hesitant to recommend this species.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I actually really love haplopus Columbia. They aren’t super crazy and are just sooooo pretty :)
I've had three and they have all been super crazy - very fast, very skittish, and even with a hide, and webbing, they tend to want to bolt out of the enclosure. I'm always on my toes with this species.

They are lightning fast though. Rehouses can be quite a challenge. I have one female that I rarely see. She dug a hole in the substrate and she disappeared for months. I found some legs and other pieces of her molt in the substrate, so she must have molted. Just no idea when. I know she is hungry when the bulge in the substrate other which she lives has a hole in it. Pretty spider, but I wish I saw her more often. Oh well, she does not take up much time and space, so I will keep her :D But based on my own experience I am hesitant to recommend this species.
This has been a carbon copy of my experience with them as well and I would never recommend them to someone who is looking for a 'calm' individual either.

aim00

Arachnopeon
bad news, the chiliean red i found i mature male. im i correct that once matured males dont live long.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
bad news, the chiliean red i found i mature male. im i correct that once matured males dont live long.
Unless you have a mature female for him to mate with, it's probably best that you don't buy him. Hopefully someone who can pair him with a female buys him and the slings can make their way into the market.

aim00

Arachnopeon
is it weird that there is no chilean red for sale? couple of years now.

shouldnt someone have slings for sale by that time? or is it usual to wait decade for one species? maybe i should bury the idea of ever owning one.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince

shouldnt someone have slings for sale by that time? or is it usual to wait decade for one species? maybe i should bury the idea of ever owning one.
They do show up from time to time and soon it will be spring and the T trade will spring to life again. If you are not dead set on having a dwarf species as your first tarantula there is plenty of suitable species for a first tarantula around. B.albopilosum or G. pulchripes for example are both easy to find and great choices for a first T.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

The trouble with this species is their slow growth and vulnerability of the 1st to 3rd instar slings.
This species starts out tiny, and remains tiny for months if not the first year. Finicky eaters. Their growth speed is glacial. My male hooked out after 2,5 years, and females take much longer, from what I've gathered. It's not the easiest species for breeding as well, females often not receptive to the male or the other way around.
That being said, I know of at least 3 breeders that have paired H.chilensis last year, so hopefully this year there will be some slings.