help me get a calm dwarf

aim00

Arachnopeon
ive lurked around internet quite some time for tarantula. never owned one to be honest.
so year ago i really fell in love with euathlus sp red. but been over a year and i have not found them anywere.

so yesterday i found shop in europe that currently carries euathlus sp yellow.
and another shop has

C. elegans
D. diamantinesis
C. leetzi

so now im thinking maybe one of them suits for me too. im looking for smaller species and docile slow one. would not like that my first tarantula would be too aggressive or too fast and might run away and die.

euathlus sp red (old name) is so calm from watching videos. love it. they seem to be chill like me.

so maybe help a brother out so i could join tarantula club here . thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Those are all high strung, a lot of dwarves are...i would suggest looking for a P scrofa. Calm and easy to care for.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Those are all high strung, a lot of dwarves are...i would suggest looking for a P scrofa. Calm and easy to care for.
Isn't E. sp yellow supposed to be similar in disposition to E. sp red? (To lazy to look up proper spelling for new names ATM) I haven't owned either personally, just thought i had read that before.

cold blood

Staff member
Isn't E. sp yellow supposed to be similar in disposition to E. sp red? (To lazy to look up proper spelling for new names ATM) I haven't owned either personally, just thought i had read that before.
Yep...but equally as hard to locate....scrofa has a similar temperament.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two C. elegans, but I rarely see either of them. They spend most of their time underground, huddled in their little burrows. Both are mature males (I purchased one, knowing it was a mature male - but hoping that the other that I was raising would turn out female. It didn't.) They are very timid, though now that the younger of the two has hooked out, I do actually see him prowling around every now and then. When he was younger, though, I pretty much never saw him unless I did a "proof of life" check by lifting up his scrap of cork bark and peeking into the burrow. The older male went through a similar active phase when he was "fresher" - but now has gone back to being a pet hole.

They are very pretty little spiders - but a bit disappointing as far as visibility goes, and not exactly what I would call "calm." They aren't out there throwing threat poses (though one did appear to be kicking hairs when I was feeding him the other day) but they are certainly quick to pop down a burrow if they catch you looking at them.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those with a "heart" patch on the abdomen! What ate their name again???? Very small dwarfs and very placid!

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My Hapalopus sp collumbia large is pretty chill. I have that heard that most arent though

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
There is nothing 'calm' about any Cyriocosmus. They are extremely fast and skittish and many of them are very reclusive and you never see them. Same with Hapalopus, Kochiana and the bulk of the dwarf species.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
i found shop in europe that currently carries euathlus sp yellow.
Just get it! :) They're pretty similar to H. chilensis regarding temperament and looks.
Just be aware that if you get a sling, you'll be in retirement, before it's fully grown. :rofl:

D. diamantinensis is fast and skittish (or so they say), mine's a pet hole, but she can be fast if she wants to. ;)

Cyriocosmus are fast and skittish, too, like @VanessaS said. When I last rehoused my C. elegans she bolted on me, and this was really the first time I thought "That's it! She's gone and I'll never find her again!" :eek: Fortunately, I caught her just before she could leave the outer box I was doing the rehousing in. *phew*

And to be perfectly honest, I think they're even a tad too small. ;)

I really think Homoeomma chilensis/orellanai are the best, closely followed by Thrixopelma cyaneolum. I'd love to have a P. scrofa, like @cold blood suggested, but I haven't seen one in Europe in ages. I don't know where you live in Europe, but at least in Germany and Poland, there's just nothing on the market right now, I think.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
My C leetzi is always out, probably not the norm though.

If I’m not mistaken there are 4 or so dwarfs that have the heart shape.

I’ve heard of the E so red being crazy....although it’s rare.
Every spider is different.

Ami sp Columbia aswell. Mine is mostly out and will just walk back in it’s burrow if I bother it

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well here is a pic of my hapolopus. Lets me get real close with the camera. Maybe she doesn't freak out cus she's too fat. It is why I named her nikki minaj

Attachments

aim00

Arachnopeon
Just get it! :) They're pretty similar to H. chilensis regarding temperament and looks.
Just be aware that if you get a sling, you'll be in retirement, before it's fully grown. :rofl:

D. diamantinensis is fast and skittish (or so they say), mine's a pet hole, but she can be fast if she wants to. ;)

Cyriocosmus are fast and skittish, too, like @VanessaS said. When I last rehoused my C. elegans she bolted on me, and this was really the first time I thought "That's it! She's gone and I'll never find her again!" :eek: Fortunately, I caught her just before she could leave the outer box I was doing the rehousing in. *phew*

wow. so many replies so fast, this community is alive and thriving. yea seems like euathlus sp yellow is at the moment winning the race. lot of users here agree that Cyriocsmus'es are not that calm lil dudes :embarrassed: . ill write them today and hopefully they are not too small. they grow years right?

But OP said they found a shop that has H. orellanai available. ;)

@aim00 I would go with the E. sp. Yellow/H. orellanai if it's available as you say, rather than the other species you listed.
this is true, i was surprised to see them listed too.

I have two C. elegans, but I rarely see either of them. They spend most of their time underground, huddled in their little burrows. Both are mature males (I purchased one, knowing it was a mature male - but hoping that the other that I was raising would turn out female. It didn't.) They are very timid, though now that the younger of the two has hooked out, I do actually see him prowling around every now and then. When he was younger, though, I pretty much never saw him unless I did a "proof of life" check by lifting up his scrap of cork bark and peeking into the burrow. The older male went through a similar active phase when he was "fresher" - but now has gone back to being a pet hole.

They are very pretty little spiders - but a bit disappointing as far as visibility goes, and not exactly what I would call "calm." They aren't out there throwing threat poses (though one did appear to be kicking hairs when I was feeding him the other day) but they are certainly quick to pop down a burrow if they catch you looking at them.
pet hole :happy::happy: this makes me laugh out loud .

They're Homoeomma orellanai now.

P. scrofa are even harder to find over here than H. chilensis.

In fact, I've seen T. cyaneolum up for sale more often than P. scrofa, that's how rare they are here.
you are right, i saw post in this forum about week or 2 ago stating the name change, but right now i have old name memorized, and when using google, the new name does not ring many bells. but you are right, homoeomma orellanai, gotta remember this.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmac

Arachnopeon
My girlfriend and I dream of the day we can get more H. chilensis! Lol She has two, one juvenile and one sling. She wants more and I want my own!

My C. elegans used to be out more often, but now tends to stay down in its burrow. There's a little window at least, so I can see it in there. Haven't ever had it bolt on me. Slowly wanders back in burrow when I catch it on the surface.

My H. sp. Colombia "large" was cool, but quick and skittish. Voracious appetite. He matured last September and went off to an area breeder.

My girlfriend has a D. diamantinensis which is gorgeous and quite a webber. Mostly hides in its network of silk. Bolted on her once, very fast! Haha

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
All of the dwarf and small Ts I have are spazzes:
C. elegans
C. leetzi
D. diamantinensis
A. minatrix
D. pentaloris

All but the adult D. pentaloris female are speed demons and have tried to escape during rehousing. While they are all absolutely gorgeous and totally worth having, I think the E. sp. yellow you found is the winner of the Calm Dwarf Awards.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There are multiple breeders that have paired H.chilensis here in the Netherlands, so there should be offspring soon, I hope.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is nothing 'calm' about any Cyriocosmus. They are extremely fast and skittish and many of them are very reclusive and you never see them. Same with Hapalopus, Kochiana and the bulk of the dwarf species.
Yes they may be skittish, but when i said placid i ment non defenssive, mine was anyway, thats what i thought he meant!