Help making an avic decision

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
So I'll be getting another tarantula for my graduation, and I've decided that it's going to be another avic, given that after my versicolor slings I've fallen head over heels for the genus. I just can't seem to decide on which one! My top two are currently amazonica and minatrix, but please suggest your favorites, and your experiences with them. Thanks everyone :) Oh, almost forgot, I'm also considering an Iridopelma hirsutum, as I've considered the genus for a while but this is the first time I've seen one up for sale.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So I'll be getting another tarantula for my graduation, and I've decided that it's going to be another avic, given that after my versicolor slings I've fallen head over heels for the genus. I just can't seem to decide on which one! My top two are currently amazonica and minatrix, but please suggest your favorites, and your experiences with them. Thanks everyone :) Oh, almost forgot, I'm also considering an Iridopelma hirsutum, as I've considered the genus for a while but this is the first time I've seen one up for sale.
I haven't owned a A.minatrix but I like their colors. I do have a A.amazonica and I'm enjoying it a lot. It eats really well and after the last molt has been out in the open a lot more. So he would be my pick though between those two choices you can't really pick a loser IMO.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I haven't owned a A.minatrix but I like their colors. I do have a A.amazonica and I'm enjoying it a lot. It eats really well and after the last molt has been out in the open a lot more. So he would be my pick though between those two choices you can't really pick a loser IMO.
If only I could just get them all right now! Definitely a goal in time... I'll get there eventually.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I think they both look cool. Luckily I never had to make a decision between two Ts I wanted but if i had to I would go with A.minatrix on this one. For me personally the Avic I want most at this time is A.metallica because my sling died. In the end you have to know what you want most and what you feel most comfortable caring for.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Avicularia sp. peru purple are awesome! a little hard to come by but they are totally worth it. (there's also a small rumor that they could possibly be the same species as Urticans but I've never had one to compare)

pariahsp84

Arachnopeon
Im in the same boat! Cant decide between Minatrix, Sp. Colombia, or Diversipes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I own all 3 you listed.

I can tell you that Iridopelma are spaz cases, and to me not as pretty. They are pretty fast, meaning generally faster than most Avics in their normal movements, IME.

I LOVE minatrix, it's the ONLY Avic that keeps the sling abdominal pattern into adulthood. They are the smallest Avic. my AF has maxed out at 3" DLS. She's very slow and deliberate in nature, BUT any Avic can spin around a stick faster than you can blink many times over. I've had it happen. Their disposition is pretty good IME. Minatrix also grow pretty fast too. It doesn't take long at all to reach adult hood.

sp amazonica Prob the most beautiful adult Avic IMO, when it's a female. They are very large Avics, perhaps the largest. They are not as docile as A. metallica, but prettier IMO, and more poofy. Dense, thick setae all over. Both genders have straw yellow leg bands along the legs, white tipped setae like A. metallica and cherry red abs. However, when males mature, they lose the red, and the banding diminishes significantly. The rest of their juvi phenotype remains the same . Only the females keep that beautiful red color.
Their size is impressive. Their disposition is a bit like A. metallica, just a tad more high strung if one is to split hairs.

I like bright colors, so I'm always up for amazonica, however I love dwarfs/semi-dwarf Ts, and that juvi tiger striping is really great on minatrix.

They are both in the USA, but sporadically unfortunately.

Also, I will definitely strongly recommend A. metallica, I had a gorgeous male, Kelly Swift has some.
Large Avics, beautiful blue, white tipped setae, excellent eaters and great disposition.

Both are great eaters!

More Qs PM me.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I think I'm going to go with the minatrix. I love the color and the size, I don't have much orange in my collection anyway, and I have plenty of large Ts. Thanks for all the input and suggestions :) I might throw on a purpurea in my order, I just can't help myself!

elysium

Arachnosquire
I own all 3 you listed.

I can tell you that Iridopelma are spaz cases, and to me not as pretty. They are pretty fast, meaning generally faster than most Avics in their normal movements, IME.

I LOVE minatrix, it's the ONLY Avic that keeps the sling abdominal pattern into adulthood. They are the smallest Avic. my AF has maxed out at 3" DLS. She's very slow and deliberate in nature, BUT any Avic can spin around a stick faster than you can blink many times over. I've had it happen. Their disposition is pretty good IME. Minatrix also grow pretty fast too. It doesn't take long at all to reach adult hood.

sp amazonica Prob the most beautiful adult Avic IMO, when it's a female. They are very large Avics, perhaps the largest. They are not as docile as A. metallica, but prettier IMO, and more poofy. Dense, thick setae all over. Both genders have straw yellow leg bands along the legs, white tipped setae like A. metallica and cherry red abs. However, when males mature, they lose the red, and the banding diminishes significantly. The rest of their juvi phenotype remains the same . Only the females keep that beautiful red color.
Their size is impressive. Their disposition is a bit like A. metallica, just a tad more high strung if one is to split hairs.

I like bright colors, so I'm always up for amazonica, however I love dwarfs/semi-dwarf Ts, and that juvi tiger striping is really great on minatrix.

They are both in the USA, but sporadically unfortunately.

Also, I will definitely strongly recommend A. metallica, I had a gorgeous male, Kelly Swift has some.
Large Avics, beautiful blue, white tipped setae, excellent eaters and great disposition.

Both are great eaters!

More Qs PM me.
TC recently added a whole bunch of avics to their list and I was really torn between the diversipes and the sp amazonica. this post clinched my decision to go with the sp amazonica, so thank you!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
TC recently added a whole bunch of avics to their list and I was really torn between the diversipes and the sp amazonica. this post clinched my decision to go with the sp amazonica, so thank you!
As an adult, sp amazonica is far prettier over diversipes. Diversipes have insane amounts of bright color as slings, but as adults, they lose it and they aren't nearly as pretty as slings. It's a dramatic difference. The same is true for MM sp amazonica. They lose the red abdomen, and the yellowish leg banding decreases in color. Once they are mature, the males look a bit more like metallica than anything else actually.

elysium

Arachnosquire
As an adult, sp amazonica is far prettier over diversipes. Diversipes have insane amounts of bright color as slings, but as adults, they lose it and they aren't nearly as pretty as slings. It's a dramatic difference. The same is true for MM sp amazonica. They lose the red abdomen, and the yellowish leg banding decreases in color. Once they are mature, the males look a bit more like metallica than anything else actually.
i've read different accounts of the size that the sp amazonica can grow. do you happen to know how big i can expect this species to get? Amanda from TC mentioned somewhere around 5-6 inches, though I read that these are some of the bigger avics in the hobby. not sure if there is a difference between what i've seen called as giant amazonica vs just amazonica.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've read different accounts of the size that the sp amazonica can grow. do you happen to know how big i can expect this species to get? Amanda from TC mentioned somewhere around 5-6 inches, though I read that these are some of the bigger avics in the hobby. not sure if there is a difference between what i've seen called as giant amazonica vs just amazonica.
Well, there's only one sp amazonica to my knowledge. However, with common names, you just never know.

They are certainly larger than most Avics. My MM was about 5-5.5" front to back (think typical Poki stance for measurement). Females are larger of course. Amanda is correct. I've heard most people say 6". But who knows where those people are getting that value from hah.

They aren't small trust me.

elysium

Arachnosquire
Well, there's only one sp amazonica to my knowledge. However, with common names, you just never know.

They are certainly larger than most Avics. My MM was about 5-5.5" front to back (think typical Poki stance for measurement). Females are larger of course. Amanda is correct. I've heard most people say 6". But who knows where those people are getting that value from hah.

They aren't small trust me.
From the pictures i've seen those pipe cleaner legs are irresistible! very exited to pick it up, along with an M robustum :D

Jeff23

Arachnolord
How about Avicularia Sooretama?

I also own several of the different species but all of mine are still slings except my Juvenile Female Versicolor. None of the choices are bad ones to me. Variety is the spice.