1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Lost Sling

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by JackCharlesRoss, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    Hi guys, thismorning my package came with 3 slings, king baboon, fetherleg baboon and violet tree. I got the king and fetherleg into sling containers with substrate set up. I didnt have any of these containers left so i put the violet tree sling in a 16oz container with some substrate and a medium sized piece of cork bark. I went out to purchase a sling container and now im back and the violet tree is nowhere to be found. The last time i saw him he was on the cork bark. Any ideas?

2. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnoknight Active Member

Some slings burrow immediately. Have you checked your substrate thoroughly?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. i have checked it quite well, is it worth tipping it all out and checking all of it?]

4. Poured some water over the cork bark and out he came, was burrowed deep inside the cork bark!

• Award Award x 1
  5. FrDoc

That's where I would begin. Gently pour it in a larger container that will hinder any escape attempt, and have a catch cup at the ready.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DanBsTs

DanBsTs The Happy Tarantula Keeper (I make YouTubes) Arachnosupporter

NH,USA
    I would suggest doing that in a larger container with a catch cup at the ready.

7. FrDoc

Excellent! Be wary, those little buggers are lightning fast, and almost invisible on/in the substrate. Enjoy.

Edit: I would also highly suggest not pouring water as a tactic.

8. Okay noted :banghead:

9. DanBsTs

DanBsTs The Happy Tarantula Keeper (I make YouTubes) Arachnosupporter

NH,USA
    Im not familiar with this common name "Violet Tree". What is the scientific name?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tapinauchenius cupreus

11. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Learn and use scientific names.

12. Sorry im still only a month old into the hobby. Learning everyday.

13. Venom1080

Then you probably shouldn't own Stromatopelma and pelinobius to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. They were freebies in the box, i plan on giving them to a friend who is already in the hobby. Only ordered a juvinile tapinauchenius cupreus and a sling tapinauchenius cupreus

15. Venom1080

That's probably for the best. Fun to own once you can deal with fast defensive species . But not till then.

16. Really don't want any Old World's until im atleast a year into the hobby. Want to get as much experience as I can first as a want good lives for the T's

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

When buying online, just tell them you have a preference for NWs to avoid them sending you free OWs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Leila

Leila Arachnobaron

Tennessee
    Glad you located the T. :)
    You might already be privy to this nugget of info: but be sure your ventilation holes in the enclosures are smaller than the carapace of the spider being housed within.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Venomgland

Venomgland Arachnosquire Active Member

Georgia
    I wouldn't give them up.. In my experience OW really aren't that bad. Just have to take a couple extra precautions when re housing. Other then that, no big deal IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

That's all well and good but sometimes dealers will just surprise you with one which is how I ended up with a C. huahini after only 4 months in the hobby.