Help identifying this cocoon?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
I recently found a cocoon outside my home. I took the branch it was on and placed it hanging in a cup because I wanted to watch it hatch and observe it. I was wondering, what type do you think it might be based on appearance? I’ve seen this same type around my house before and I live in Florida if that helps.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
It might be a Gulf Fritillary, Agraulis vanillae or close relative.

Compare to this one: https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2006/08/31/gulf-fritillary-caterpillar-and-chrysalis/

or this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonian72/5744928559
Thanks! It definitely seems like it could be a gulf fritillary. I’ll keep a close eye on it and see what it turns into, if it even hatches at all. Are there any specific requirements for a chrysalis or is it just a waiting game?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks! It definitely seems like it could be a gulf fritillary. I’ll keep a close eye on it and see what it turns into, if it even hatches at all. Are there any specific requirements for a chrysalis or is it just a waiting game?
It's basically just a matter of waiting until it is ready to emerge. I would give it a few more twigs to climb on, though - butterflies and moths need to hang to let their wings expand fully after then emerge from their cocoons or chrysalises.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
It's basically just a matter of waiting until it is ready to emerge. I would give it a few more twigs to climb on, though - butterflies and moths need to hang to let their wings expand fully after then emerge from their cocoons or chrysalises.
I see, thanks!

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
It is in the subfamily Heliconiinae. You said you are in Florida, where there are several different species, so I cannot narrow it down to species based on chrysalis.