Help identify my new centipede?

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
So I picked up this little guy, Doug, on Saturday at Repticon in Virginia. The vendor had him labelled as a "Tanzanian Tiger Centipede". I asked him if he knew the scientific name and he said no he was just an importer and that the exporters just label them with a guess anyway. I know my camera takes crappy photos, but can anyone identify his species, or even his genus? I assume he is Scolopendra based on the "Tiger" description, but who knows.
He's been buried in substrate since Saturday night, so I don't have any pics of him in his new enclosure. I took the picture below of him in the seller's container right before I re-housed him. Any help is appreciated!
Doug_2019-03-16.jpg

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Most species of centipede from Africa are in the messy Ethmostigmus genus, so it could be a species within Ethmostigmus. It also looks like it could be Scolopendra morsitans. Can anybody else with more experience chime in?

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
Thanks @Arthroverts, I didn't even consider Ethmostigmus. His terminal legs have black bars on them - not sure if that helps with identification.
The vendor had a lot of these labelled as chocolate, which some were brown-black but others were more orange striped, so I'm not sure what made them chocolates.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
What made them "Chocolate" was the vendor's desire to sell them, at least that is how it appears to me. A lot of labels are applied to morphs to get them to sell, so there is a lot of overlap when it comes to naming and varieties.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
It’s Ethmostigmus trigonopodus probably. Scolopendra morsitans is not in the US hobby at the moment, yet

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
LOL, I figured. Just seemed like it would be better to come up with different color morph names for the ones that look different, like chocolate fire legs or halloween candy stripes or something. :cat:

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
Thanks @NYAN and @Staehilomyces!
I've been trying to find specific care for E. trigonopodus (since that seems to be the early consensus). I found an older post from @Mastigoproctus from 2016 along with a video by him. Does anyone know of other care advice out there? (I will continue diving into ghosts of AB past...:bookworm:)

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
Thanks @NYAN and @Staehilomyces!
I've been trying to find specific care for E. trigonopodus (since that seems to be the early consensus). I found an older post from @Mastigoproctus from 2016 along with a video by him. Does anyone know of other care advice out there? (I will continue diving into ghosts of AB past...:bookworm:)

I'm general, pedes have similar care requirement. As long as they have a few inches of substrate, decent ventilation, and a moisture gradient (one end being more moist and one being dry) so that the centipede can regulate themselves you should be fine.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Keep it on the dry side. Make sure it has hides, water dish. Some room to burrow and an escaped resistant enclosure.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
2F1EBEE8-2F07-42FB-AFB7-327992DADF5C.jpeg Yes that is an Ethmostigmus trigonopodus. This appears to be the “yellow legs” morph. I have a 1.3 group of them.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Ethmostigmus trigonpodus it is (to date). There a lot of varieties. I've got some Kenyan blue legs at the moment (including a 7" belter) and one very blue one from Mozambique. I also had a Yellow leg one before which behaved my like a dehaani Yellow Leg! But I sold it off.

Your is probably not from Tanzania but Niger or Cameroon.

Ethmostigmus trigonpodus are primarily ambush predators, spending all their time under a hide and waiting with antennae poking out from underneath, but will also go for a wander if they get hungry. They can be induced to rest on top of the hide rather than under it if the enclosure is dark enough, and I find that a shallow ceiling may help too (centipedes seem to be able to tell when there is cover above their head, possibly from air movements, and will more readily rest out in the open in a shallow enclosure). It's not the kind of species that needs high walls as they don't go on panic runs like other species, but they will attack forceps :D

And yes, like others said, keep rather dry.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I managed to catch him on the surface yesterday when I got home. Of course he promptly hid from the light - but I got a short video! I've got a hide coming soon for him, and I'll have to let part of his substrate dry out a bit so that there is a wet side and a dry side, and I added a water dish. I put two small crickets in there Sunday night, and yesterday I didn't see them... I assume he ate them over night.