Help ID This Spider For Me!

Dan Black

Arachnopeon
Could anybody help me identify this spider? I've attached a picture, though a few of it's legs are missing because I took this pic after I killed it. I'm not sure if you can see it in the pic, but it did have a stinger on it's butt.

I found the spider in my mailbox. A lot of it's webs were inside the mailbox too, but at the time I killed the spider, it was not actually in it's web, but very close to it. Yesterday I found what appeared to be a few egg sacs webbed inside the mailbox too. The picture is the spider dead on the street (I put it there after I killed it in the mailbox).

Date: 09/19/2019
Color: Orange/Brown

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
A very gravid Agelenid, likely one of the genera referred to as "grass spiders." A harmless funnel weaver.

Dan Black

Arachnopeon
Ok, cool. I appreciate the help...just wanted to make sure I didn't have something dangerous lurking around. Thanks!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Ok, cool. I appreciate the help...just wanted to make sure I didn't have something dangerous lurking around. Thanks!
Be a responsible human and learn about your local fauna please. Too many harmless animals suffer from human ignorance.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Very, very few spiders within the US have the ability to seriously hurt someone, so I would highly suggest finding out if you have any near you, that way the next time a less-than-dangerous one comes around you will know it.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know it's a troll but it acts like so many uneducated humans.

Hur dur I kill spider because spider.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Dan Black, you may find your your welcome somewhat cold right now because this is a community of spider enthusiasts who keep these spiders and many others in our collections. In general, you should look up the spider before you kill it; get photos of it in it's web for us to identify; use common sense, such as "Does this spider even have fangs that can pierce my skin?" or "Have other people been injured by spider bites in my area recently"?

If you kill it first and then ask for an ID, what is even the point if we ID it? It's already dead, so it won't matter (in most situations).

Anyway, I hope that you understand how seriously we take these things, and even though it is a small grass spider that won't affect much, waaay too many spiders are killed for reasons that just aren't valid. If you want to see how serious we get in our collecting of spiders, check out this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ph...h-and-true-spider-photo-thread-part-2.304440/

I hope you can continue to use Arachnoboards to further your knowledge :)!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Definitely a troll.

It's so true that there are people who act like this and unfortunately a good majority.

xWoomy

Arachnopeon
I know its probably a troll, but still. Its incredibly sad to be reminded that people actually act like this around our little eight-legged friends :c

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Speaking of responsibility I would like to see this post removed by an admin member.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Speaking of responsibility I would like to see this post removed by an admin member.
AHEM. As in, if we don't like something we squash/quash it?
Let's promote understanding and educate. The pre-programmed mindless knee jerk crowd are legion and we are a small minority.

Sites like AB should have a special thread: Misunderstanding Invertebrates and posts like the OP moved to it. Then members give informative explanations of the spider, it's habitat, how it is beneficial, and in a case like this thread, what best should have been done.

Agelenid. AKA Grass spider AKA Funnel web weaver. Harmless to humans and highly beneficial. One of the few spiders able to survive in urban environments with high human population density. They weave mat like webs on grass or low bushes. An easy way to identify is the extended spinnerets, web making appendage on the rear end common to nearly all of the Agelenidae family.
The pictured specimen was probably pregnant female possibly looking for a place to lay her eggs. Relocating these can be very difficult since they are extremely fast and agile and quite reclusive. Goading the animal onto a soft fuzzy cloth is one method but it must be carefully disentangled when being released which should be in a green space like a park.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Agreed. Didn't the original poster squash something because he didn't like it? If we squash this thread because we don't like it, what does that say about us?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
AHEM. As in, if we don't like something we squash/quash it?
Let's promote understanding and educate. The pre-programmed mindless knee jerk crowd are legion and we are a small minority.

Sites like AB should have a special thread: Misunderstanding Invertebrates and posts like the OP moved to it. Then members give informative explanations of the spider, it's habitat, how it is beneficial, and in a case like this thread, what best should have been done.

Agelenid. AKA Grass spider AKA Funnel web weaver. Harmless to humans and highly beneficial. One of the few spiders able to survive in urban environments with high human population density. They weave mat like webs on grass or low bushes. An easy way to identify is the extended spinnerets, web making appendage on the rear end common to nearly all of the Agelenidae family.
The pictured specimen was probably pregnant female possibly looking for a place to lay her eggs. Relocating these can be very difficult since they are extremely fast and agile and quite reclusive. Goading the animal onto a soft fuzzy cloth is one method but it must be carefully disentangled when being released which should be in a green space like a park.
Hmm, interesting point but not really man, I just don't see it to being beneficial or productive to Arachnoboards.
It's not so much the nature or even the content of the post, its just the trolling thing that irritated me I guess, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it that's for sure.
I actually meant to pull you up the other day on an unrelated thread, just wanted to say the longer I'm a member here the more I like your posts and appreciate your point of view, it's refreshing not to have to dumb down a conversation to fit in. I don't often offer accolades when I'm having issues with mental illness which says a lot

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's not so much the nature or even the content of the post, its just the trolling thing that irritated me I guess,
Granted, but on the whole in terms of vitriol, discourteousness, hostility and acerbity, your average cop forum on the average day makes the worst AB has ever barfed up look like sweetness and light personified. My worst snarkishness and curmudgeon growls are quite often heralded as the most gentle, kind and understanding on those forums and I am often trolled by fellow officers querying how I ever managed as a cop.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
The fear of spiders and roaches is a gimmick created by sc johnson in order to get you to buy poison.

Roaches only thrive in horrible conditions and no amount of fogging will rid you of them. Simply allow spiders to move in and they will decimate your pests for you. Especially widows, which eradicate oriental and turkistan roaches.

My home is roach-free, surrounded by other homes infested with random roaches. We dont even get crickets in here. Allowing pholcidae, gnaphosidae and random cobweb spiders like steatoda will balance it out- the pholcids prevent widows from entering, which the gnaphosids take care of other wander spiders like sac spiders or recluses.

Wall spiders are a fantastic biological control agent for tiny pests like booklice, bedbugs, mosquitoes and more.

A healthy ecosystem in your home will do all the work for you.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The fear of spiders and roaches is a gimmick created by sc johnson in order to get you to buy poison.

Roaches only thrive in horrible conditions and no amount of fogging will rid you of them. Simply allow spiders to move in and they will decimate your pests for you. Especially widows, which eradicate oriental and turkistan roaches.

My home is roach-free, surrounded by other homes infested with random roaches. We dont even get crickets in here. Allowing pholcidae, gnaphosidae and random cobweb spiders like steatoda will balance it out- the pholcids prevent widows from entering, which the gnaphosids take care of other wander spiders like sac spiders or recluses.

Wall spiders are a fantastic biological control agent for tiny pests like booklice, bedbugs, mosquitoes and more.

A healthy ecosystem in your home will do all the work for you.
Exactly how I 'do' it here. It's more a matter of doing nothing really, the spiders come in of their own.
The only spiders I take outside are the jumpers, since there is not enough food for them to hunt here. All the rest has free range, unless there's a big eggsac, then I'll take it out. But all those folcids I leave be. :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
even widows are allowed in by me, but the scotophaeus tend to get them before i even see any lol