1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help ID this mystery isopod

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by cgeorgie, Jul 19, 2019.

1. cgeorgie

cgeorgie Arachnopeon

NY
    Advertisement
    Came across this isopod in the garden. It looks like Armadillidium vulgare, but it's longer, thinner, has a slightly protruding head and has an obvious tail section. It cannot roll into a ball.
    IMG_20190718_170720.jpg IMG_20190718_171134.jpg
    I was thinking, it's probably just a deformed A.vulgare but wanted to get thoughts from others.

Thanks!

2. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Seems to me it would have to be pretty deformed if so. I'll see what I can do re: ID, but also @Aquarimax

3. I would agree. Looks like an A. vulgare that has been through hell and back.

4. Gnarled Gnome

Gnarled Gnome Arachnosquire Active Member

US
    Any chance you kept it? Itd be interesting if you could breed it with the suggested species and see if you can start a new breed. (Assuming it's not just a different species already)

5. cgeorgie

cgeorgie Arachnopeon

NY
    I kept it. I've isolated it and Im going to try to determine its sex tomorrow.

6. cgeorgie

cgeorgie Arachnopeon

NY
    I'm interested to see if it changes appearance after it molts. I've heard isopods can regenerate some body parts.

7. Gnarled Gnome

Gnarled Gnome Arachnosquire Active Member

US
    Dibs on the first offspring you're willing to sell! :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnoangel Active Member

Utah
    I’d love to see some video and/or shots from underneath. They might help ID it.

9. cgeorgie

cgeorgie Arachnopeon

NY
    This video is not the best quality but the little guy spins around for us :) I'll try to get some photos and videos of its underside. Enjoy!