1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help ID please! New to hobby!

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Clockwerk, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Arachnopeon

TX
    Advertisement
    Hello I was wondering if I could get an ID of which type of Heterometrus I have & also the gender? This was given to me by a neighbor who is moving, & I am excited to finally get into this hobby! Also what is that white patch on it's back?
    20191009_011559.jpg 20191009_011549.jpg 20191008_180408.jpg

2. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron

UK
    Looks to be a female H. petersii, the white on the back looks like dried poo - needs to be removed by fine water spray and fine paint brush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Arachnopeon

TX
    Thank you for the reply, just wondering what are some of the attributes that tell you it is female H. Petersii? Also does she look like she is about to molt? She is refusing super worms, or should I be feeding her crickets? I've tried to brush off the poo but she moves way too much should I hold her by her tail and brush it, or should I just let her free roam and attempt to brush it off? Thanks!

4. MoranDisciple

MoranDisciple Arachnosquire

PA
    I wouldn't do anything about it if I was you. These scorpions are often caked in dried clay in their natural habitat so that dried feces shouldn't present too big a problem. You want to stress the scorp as little as possible.

5. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Arachnopeon

TX
    Yeah after a few attempts to clean it off I left her alone for a bit. It's just aesthetically unpleasant lol. Should come off with her next molt anyhow, but I was afraid this could cause infections or other health issues. Thanks for the reply!

6. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnoknight Active Member

It is probably H.petersii and a very easy method to sex H.petersii is by its claws.

Attached Files:

7. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Arachnopeon

TX
    Awesome! Thank you so much I'll save that info!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnoknight Active Member

Oh fyi, H.petersii is the only common AFS that has this distinctly visible sexual dimorphism (large tooth for males) in its claws. ;)

9. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Arachnopeon

TX
    Ah that's a easy way to ID if I'm ever interested in breeding lol! Please keep the advice coming lol! He has 3 other scorpions I'm debating on taking in. One other is a heterometrus something which he bought as just an "Asian Forest Scorpion" I'll probably need an ID when I get it. Also is the poop on the back necessary to remove? As stated I would like to not stress her out too much.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019