Help ID my new spooder

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
So I found this new spider outside, and tend to keep them as pets. At first I thought it was a juvenile Eratigena atrica (giant house spider) Like my last spider, but my girlfriend (whos owned alot of T's) thinks it may be a Juvenile Lycosidae (wolf spider).

here are the pics I got. She's very small, and doesn't have large pedipalps so I think she's a female.

I could use help with identification!

I live in British Columbia, Canada if that helps with the ID!

I could take more if needed!

things to note:
My last spider, the giant house spider, built a web instantly, a Funnel web to be exact. This spider is not building a web,much like a wolf spider.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So I found this new spider outside, and tend to keep them as pets. At first I thought it was a juvenile Eratigena atrica (giant house spider) Like my last spider, but my girlfriend (whos owned alot of T's) thinks it may be a Juvenile Lycosidae (wolf spider).
It's a wolf spider (Lycosidae).

You can set it up like a terrestrial tarantula, with a hide and a small water dish. (Some species of wolf spider will burrow.)

I could take more if needed!
Sometimes ventral (underbelly) shots can be helpful when identifying wolf spiders.

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
It's a wolf spider (Lycosidae).

You can set it up like a terrestrial tarantula, with a hide and a small water dish. (Some species of wolf spider will burrow.)

Sometimes ventral (underbelly) shots can be helpful when identifying wolf spiders.
thank you very much! i'll try to take an underbelly shot tomorrow.

Can you tell if its a juvenile or just a small wolf spider?i've never seen a wolf spider so tiny before, so i'm pretty curious! I hope shes a juvenile. I changed her cage to give her half dirt on the side she seems to prefer, and half rocks on the other side. Theres some bigger rocks, a fake plant, and other stuff. I'll make her a toilet paper tube hide and perhaps buy one soon from a petstore. im not sure if she's more for burrowing or hiding, but right now im leaning towards hiding.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
This is a Trochosa species, and is a burrower. lightly moist coco fiber is perfect.

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
This is a Trochosa species, and is a burrower. lightly moist coco fiber is perfect.
ah! good to know. Is there anything that can be substituted for coco fiber? right now I just have dirt, but im not sure thats good enough. if i really gotta, i'll just buy some coco fibers from the petstore!

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
How big is she (body length, not including legs or palps)?

Most wolf spiders are actually quite small. It's only a few genera (such as Hogna and Tigrosa) that have giants.
ah, I dont actually have a measuring tape, but I used my finger to check, and shes about from the tip of my index finger to the first knuckle. So like?? maybe half an inch? if not less

i've honestly never seen a small wolf spider, so this is news to me! Somebody thinks shes a Trochosa Wolf spider, which is apparently quite large.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
ah! good to know. Is there anything that can be substituted for coco fiber? right now I just have dirt, but im not sure thats good enough. if i really gotta, i'll just buy some coco fibers from the petstore!
Dirt is fine. (A lot of people even use topsoil for their tarantulas.) Just make sure what you are using does not contan pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, or other such additives.

i've honestly never seen a small wolf spider, so this is news to me!
You can find wolf spiders by going out at night and holding a flashlight at eye level. Wolf spiders, being nocturnal hunting spiders, have a reflective layer in their eyes. A suitable habitat will look like it's strewn with glittering gems, each one being a wolf spider.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
trochosa is a medium to small sized genus, most dont get bigger than 15mm (body length, excluding legs)