Help ID-ing a Black Widow

Wayne Guillot

Arachnopeon
IMG_20210409_181711.jpg IMG_20210409_182307.jpg Hey Guys was wondering if y'all could help me find the species on this black widow I managed to catch I'm not sure what species it is. Was caught in Baton Rouge area of Louisiana if that helps identify it. Pictures included, suckie thing is I can get great picture. But the red strip down it's back is the only other main feature besides the red hour glass underneath it's abdomen.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 381255 View attachment 381256 Hey Guys was wondering if y'all could help me find the species on this black widow I managed to catch I'm not sure what species it is. Was caught in Baton Rouge area of Louisiana if that helps identify it. Pictures included, suckie thing is I can get great picture. But the red strip down it's back is the only other main feature besides the red hour glass underneath it's abdomen.

Most states have a listing of their native animals.

XLNT

Arachnopeon
If it's Louisiana, L. mactans is 99% likely. The one percent is to allow for a stray import :)

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
That looks like a L. mactans to me... :)

Last edited:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
View attachment 381255 View attachment 381256 Hey Guys was wondering if y'all could help me find the species on this black widow I managed to catch I'm not sure what species it is. Was caught in Baton Rouge area of Louisiana if that helps identify it. Pictures included, suckie thing is I can get great picture. But the red strip down it's back is the only other main feature besides the red hour glass underneath it's abdomen.
Is this your first Latrodectus sp. ?

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
And as in good chances she will be making egg sacks. So you want a containment where you can remove the sacs witthout unduly disturbing mom - who can be very good at hiding them. Or resign yourself to contending with a couple hundred escape artist itty bitty babies.
I forgot about that... Yeah, be prepared for the egg sacs and a little trick I learned to remove the egg sac. Drop a prey in the opposite side where the egg sac is and when she leaves that area to kill the prey, you can carefully remove the egg sac. :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Drop a prey in the opposite side where the egg sac is and when she leaves that area to kill the prey, you can carefully remove the egg sac.
If you can pull this off every time without trashing mom's web you might be a good candidate for a career in brain surgery. Watch out for those sticky lines!

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
If you can pull this off every time without trashing mom's web you might be a good candidate for a career in brain surgery. Watch out for those sticky lines!
Too late for me to be a brain surgeon... :geek: